Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

What is this device?

(22 Posts)
Chestnut Sun 10-Jul-22 14:22:43

Just found this in my sewing box! It's metal, bell shaped, has five holes in the middle numbered 1-5 (getting smaller) then slots around the edge numbered 6-24 also getting smaller. If I ever knew what it was decades ago then I can't remember. It must be something to do with sewing or craft. Does anyone know what it is?

ixion Sun 10-Jul-22 14:24:34

A knitting needle size gauge!

tanith Sun 10-Jul-22 14:34:14

?

Auntieflo Sun 10-Jul-22 14:34:47

I have one of those.
It was my mum's , and must be getting on for an Antique now.

Chestnut Sun 10-Jul-22 14:37:38

Oh how amazing! I had a feeling it might be for sizing something. Then I thought maybe you could weave something in and out of the holes. Then maybe the bell shape was something to do with Christmas. I've been racking my brain. Thank you so much, problem solved! ?

M0nica Sun 10-Jul-22 14:39:07

Knitting needle gauge. I have several of a various kinds, as does DD. If you are a knitter they are really useful.

Hithere Sun 10-Jul-22 15:00:29

Agree with yarn gauge

Love the shape!

Nannytopsy Sun 10-Jul-22 15:06:56

I have the same, from my Nan’s sewing machine drawers!

lovebeigecardigans1955 Sun 10-Jul-22 15:15:20

I've got one of those, Chestnut which belonged to my grandma. I've been told I could get £9 for it if I wanted to sell it on the 'net! I'll hang on to, it though it is completely useless as the numbers on it do not correspond to any of those on my knitting needles, old/new, metric or Imperial. It's just an old keepsake.

Baggs Sun 10-Jul-22 15:23:33

Oh! what a lovely needle gauge!

ixion Sun 10-Jul-22 15:32:48

I wonder whether these may have been free gifts from the Betterwear or Kleeneze Man?

From a family who, I clearly recall, would all undo woollies, wash and rewind the wool (where my hands would come on useful??), I can't imagine any of the womenfolk buying anything like this.

If only I could ask my Mum?

ixion Sun 10-Jul-22 15:33:37

Free with Woman's Weekly, maybe?

Chestnut Sun 10-Jul-22 15:47:32

Oh dear, I just found some knitting needles and tried them in the gauge.
Needle 5 fits somewhere between 5 and 6.
Needle 4mm (Aero) fits hole 12 as does needle 8.
I have no idea what these sizes are!

Rainwashed Sun 10-Jul-22 15:48:51

My late Mum had one that I think was exactly like that. I think it was for old style knitting needle numbers ( not the mm we have nowadays) though.She was not a great knitter so I wonder if it may have originally been my Gran’s.

Elegran Sun 10-Jul-22 15:57:46

The numbers sound like the older knitting needles. The sizes went from large numbers for very fine needles to smaller numbers for very large needles. Modern sizes go the other way and define the thickness in millimetres (so a 5 is 5 mm, a 3.25 is smaller and is 3.25 mm, and so on.)

Chestnut Sun 10-Jul-22 16:22:12

Yup, it is definitely no use. Needles are numbered now and I haven't knitted for 50 years! Mind you, I will have to teach my granddaughter to knit as it is my grandmotherly duty to do so. I used to make my own clothes in the 1970s and knitted a jumper around 1972. I really need to show her how to sew and knit, if I can even remember how to do it.

crissy Sun 10-Jul-22 18:02:53

I have one as well. Also came fromy mother. Very useful. I love using it.

Auntieflo Sun 10-Jul-22 20:16:25

Chestnut, I haven't been upstairs to check, but I think how it is used is that the needle fits in the narrow bit, and will tell you the size, not going into the circle . If you see what I mean!!

volver Sun 10-Jul-22 22:50:34

I have one of these and wouldn't part from it for the world. Definitely not no use! If you have double pointed needles that get separated from each other, how do you get them back into the right set without one of these?

Size 8 is 4mm. Double knitting takes 10s for Rib and 8s for stocking stitch. You're not looking for an exact fit into the holes. Once your needle doesn't fit into a hole, that means it's real size is the size it will just fit into.

Handy conversion table can be found here:
www.laughinghens.com

Save it for posterity!

M0nica Mon 11-Jul-22 13:03:40

Like many people my knitting needkes come with 'old series' numbers and metric numbers. These are still ideal for checking what size metric needles are in 'old series' when knitting 'old sereis' patterns.

I have several knitting needle gauges and at least one has 'old series' one side and metric the other.

HettyBetty Mon 11-Jul-22 13:57:48

My mum had a rectangular one, which I have now. As a child I was jealous because the nice lady next door had a bell shaped one.

Chestnut Mon 11-Jul-22 14:55:43

Well I shall keep mine as a novelty item but a) it doesn't match the needles I have and b) I haven't knitted in 50 years so am unlikely to be worrying about needle sizes.