Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

tunisian crochet

(15 Posts)
travelnan Thu 14-Jul-22 16:30:29

I cannot crochet but this looks fairly simple. I do a lot of knitting but there are only so many jumpers, cardigans and dog blankets I can knit and really would like a change and try to reduce my stash. Have any of you crafters tried it and is it really as easy as it looks. Would appreciate any feedback. Thank you.

Septimia Thu 14-Jul-22 18:21:48

I tried it many years ago and made a warm boot for my mum to wear over her plaster when she broke her ankle.

If it had been difficult I doubt if I'd have done it!

MiniMoon Thu 14-Jul-22 20:42:43

I've made lots of tunisian crocheted items. I recently completed a yoga blanket for my daughter. Here is a photo of it. I've made hats and mittens and fingerless gloves. The hat I made was done in the round.
I'm self taught. There are loads of YouTube videos to show you how.
Have a go, the sense of achievement is wonderful.

FarNorth Thu 14-Jul-22 22:16:29

That looks lovely MiniMoon.
I've always had a notion to learn crochet but didn't really like the look of the results I might get.
That looks more like a knitted pattern, tho, so I may even have a go. smile

Purplepixie Sun 17-Jul-22 09:34:19

*MiniMoon - I love it and well done to you.

I got a book out of the library and taught myself, its relatively easy. Enjoy!

Caleo Sun 17-Jul-22 10:33:04

That's lovely colour and pattern Minimoon and a nice thought for your daughter when she goes to do yoga.

MarleneOnTheWall Thu 01-Sep-22 12:20:50

I made this Tunisian Crochet Ten Stitch Afghan following the online instructions on It's all in a Nutshell Crochet

It is a very long tuition video but very clear and well worth sticking with to get the hang of working the corners.

I made this travel rug picnic blanket in James Brett Marble Chunky on a 6 mm hook. The colour changes are all in the yarn but you could also use odds and ends from your stash to make a multi coloured rug.

MiniMoon Thu 01-Sep-22 13:19:14

That is similar to the entrelac blanket I made using instructions from Mikey of The Crochet Crowd. Mine is crocheted using middle aisle chunky yarn from Aldi.
You can find The Crochet Crowd on YouTube.

MarleneOnTheWall Thu 01-Sep-22 13:41:42

It does look similar MiniMoon because the James Brett Marble yarn has produced a squared effect similar to entrelac. The ten stitch Tunisian afghan is working in a continuous spiral mitreing the corners as you go round and round.

This photo is of the one made in the online tutorial. It starts with the deep pink in the centre, then the apricot, then the pale green and so on, joining different colours at the corners.

ixion Thu 01-Sep-22 20:23:19

MarleneOnTheWall

I made this Tunisian Crochet Ten Stitch Afghan following the online instructions on It's all in a Nutshell Crochet

It is a very long tuition video but very clear and well worth sticking with to get the hang of working the corners.

I made this travel rug picnic blanket in James Brett Marble Chunky on a 6 mm hook. The colour changes are all in the yarn but you could also use odds and ends from your stash to make a multi coloured rug.

That's lovely, MarleneOTW!
What is the finished size, please, if you don't mind me asking?

MarleneOnTheWall Thu 01-Sep-22 20:44:09

Thank you. It's four feet square.

JaneJudge Thu 01-Sep-22 20:45:41

what wonderful textile pieces smile

MissAdventure Thu 01-Sep-22 20:48:43

I was just thinking how nice they would look in my living room.
Then I remembered I'm too idle to learn how to do these things.

ixion Thu 01-Sep-22 20:51:05

MarleneOnTheWall

Thank you. It's four feet square.

Thank you - wonderful!

Chardy Thu 01-Sep-22 20:56:43

It's very similar to ordinaty crochet except the final part of the stitch is kept on a long crochet hook, and then on the reverse row the stitches refinished off.
Bella Coco does a good video on Tunisian Crochet