Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Knitting help needed.

(11 Posts)
Nannagarra Thu 18-Aug-22 19:44:18

?

Oldnproud Wed 17-Aug-22 22:10:11

Nannagarra

In answer to your penultimate paragraph, yes. Cast off the three sts (either side of each sleeve and at the body aperture) before adding the sts onto the circular needle. Sew together the corresponding three sts (body and sleeves) when you complete the sleeve seams. I hope this makes sense.

Yes, that makes perfect sense. Thank you. smile

Nannagarra Wed 17-Aug-22 22:00:47

In answer to your penultimate paragraph, yes. Cast off the three sts (either side of each sleeve and at the body aperture) before adding the sts onto the circular needle. Sew together the corresponding three sts (body and sleeves) when you complete the sleeve seams. I hope this makes sense.

Oldnproud Wed 17-Aug-22 21:50:50

Yes, Doodledog, I plan to continue the body to the top with the sleeves attached.

I have actually done what I'm trying to do now once before, with a different pattern, but can't remember now how I dealt with the sleeves, though I remember that it turned out OK.
I definitely worked both sleeves bottom up, though, as per the pattern as far as the armhole shapings, somehow then adding them to the needle containing the body knitted up to the same level, before continuing to the top with the sleeves attached.

I've done top-down occasionally, but only following a pattern written that way.
The pattern I am using this time is a traditional one, with the pieces worked indivudually bottom-up, so I really dont want to try to do it top-down.

I've not got off to a good start. I started with a sleevethus afternoon, to get used to the stitch pattern, but I'm not happy with my tension. I'm carrying yarns across the back between different colour blocks, and have just noticed that I've gone from too loose to too tight. I'll have to start again.

Doodledog Wed 17-Aug-22 20:00:16

I can't picture this, but I usually knit top down, so you knit the top from the neck to the cap of the sleeve and leave the stitches when you join into the round (or back and forth) for the body. Am I right in thinking that you have the body knitted up to the bottom of the sleeve? Will you be continuing the body with the top of the sleeves attached? If so, where do the sleeve stitches attach to the body on a bottom-up garment if they aren't picked up around the armholes?

I have knitted bottom up before, but picked up the sleeve stitches from the finished body (with shoulders seamed if necessary). You could do that and knit back and forth for the sleeves, seaming them later? In that case, you usually pick up the stitches and add in a couple on either side of the underarm marker.

Callistemon21 Wed 17-Aug-22 19:59:09

Yes, try YouTube - I learnt how to crochet from YouTube and many knitting techniques too.

Someone gave us a demonstration of how to knit a cardigan in one piece but I found it rather baffling. The attempt I made for Teddy was not successful.

Oldnproud Wed 17-Aug-22 19:13:29

fairfraise

I made one like that four years ago and I'm pretty sure I cast off the 3 st before adding the sleeve stitches. But Youtube may be able to help. I can't remember precisely.

Thanks for answering. I haven't tried YouTube yet, but that's a good idea. smile

fairfraise Wed 17-Aug-22 16:11:57

I made one like that four years ago and I'm pretty sure I cast off the 3 st before adding the sleeve stitches. But Youtube may be able to help. I can't remember precisely.

Oldnproud Wed 17-Aug-22 14:20:00

silverlining48

I clicked on, but can only say you have my admiration for even considering what sounds a most complicated cardi.
Hope someone better than me can advise, good luck Oldnproud. ,

Thanks, silverlining. smile

silverlining48 Wed 17-Aug-22 14:09:21

I clicked on, but can only say you have my admiration for even considering what sounds a most complicated cardi.
Hope someone better than me can advise, good luck Oldnproud. ,

Oldnproud Wed 17-Aug-22 13:14:15

Hi.

I'm about to knit a child's cardigan, but want to adapt the pattern so that I can knit it in one piece, bottom-up, adding the stitches of my half-knitted sleeves to the needle when I reach the appropriate point. My sleeves will be knitted flat, though, and seamed afterwards, as I am useless at knitting on in the round on double-pointed needles.

The thing I'm most unsure about is what to do where the original pattern starts the armhole shapings on all the pieces with "cast off 3 sts".

Do I cast off those three stitches before I put the sleeve stitches on the same (circular) needle as the body, then sew those bits up when finishing the garment, or should I be doing something else?

I know some of you are experts at such things, and I'd be really grateful if you could help me out ☺