Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

What the younger generation missed! Do we?

(176 Posts)
Poppyjo Tue 28-Mar-23 03:35:41

With the fast pace of technology what common place items of yesteryear would the younger generation probably not know of which were common place on our lives?

For me it would be:-

Bellows,
Blue bag,
Beef press
Liberty bodice
Izal toilet paper.

Katie59 Fri 31-Mar-23 11:03:16

Poppyjo

Another thing I miss is hearing men whistling on their way to work. If I got a wolf whistle I would be over the moon. Sadly any wolf whistles I do hear occasionally are not for me 😂

We had a lot of giggles over wolf whistles not in the least offended

Granmarderby10 Fri 31-Mar-23 11:01:40

Mmmm Poppyjo not sure how I feel about the wolf whistles now but at the time they were felt to be (on the whole) fairly innocent ?
Our window cleaner used to whistle while he worked. It always brings to mind Norman Wisdom.
It’s a bit like smoking a pipe now , just something that doesn’t happen.

DiddyNan Fri 31-Mar-23 10:59:22

Waiting for the latest 45' record to be released at the record shop, you didn't know what it would sound like until you bought it, no advanced playing on the radio. Then gathering with your friends to listen to it at someone's house.
Buying an album and looking at all the inserts, recently bought new vinyl and there are no inserts, disappointing. Also choosing an album or 45 to play and actually sitting down to listen to it.
The thick yellow smog that used to come down at teatime, couldn't see your hand in front of you, it had a strange smell too.
Lighting the coal fire, tying paper in knots to get it to take, putting the draw tin over the fire to speed it up.
Getting dressed / undressed in front of the coal fire as it was too cold upstairs.
Sharing a hot water bottle with my sister, could only get one foot on it.
Wearing more clothes to bed than I did through the day in winter.
Ice on the inside of the bedroom window creating beautiful fern patterns, we used to get quite excited about this and shout that Jack Frost had been.
Milk Tray chocolate bars, they had 6 chocolates in them, felt so grown up when we had them as a treat.
I still have a video player and the grandchildren are fascinated by it, they love choosing a video to play and pressing all the buttons.
I don't remember feeling that we were missing out on anything as everyone was in the same boat, and looking back makes me smile, however I wouldn't want to go back to that time.

Granmarderby10 Fri 31-Mar-23 10:52:04

Oh my goodness “The Black & white Minstrel Show. What’s it on Sundays? That and that other yawn fest of a radio show Sing Something Simple. It was like a bad tummy ache, I was so glad when it passed.
I’m not Scottish ( obviously) but I recall a lot of Scottishness on telly eg Moira Anderson, Andy Stewart? Usually kilted and frilly shirted, belting out “popular” songs.

Poppyjo Fri 31-Mar-23 10:44:02

Another thing I miss is hearing men whistling on their way to work. If I got a wolf whistle I would be over the moon. Sadly any wolf whistles I do hear occasionally are not for me 😂

Granmarderby10 Fri 31-Mar-23 10:42:55

Khyber Pass ?……as in “Carry on up the Khyber” 🤣

annodomini Fri 31-Mar-23 10:33:21

Children's Hour on the wireless. Uncle Mac: "Goodnight children - everywhere". Wireless comedy shows: Take it from here with Jimmy Edwards and a young June Whitfield. In Scotland we had The McFlannels on Saturday nights, just after - or was it before? - Jimmy Shand and his band playing Scottish country dance music. Then when TV came to Scotland, there was The White Heather Club. Later, there was The Black and White Minstrel Show. That wouldn't see the light of day now!

Callistemon21 Fri 31-Mar-23 10:10:51

Eg I'm gunna go down the back alley, duck.

Callistemon21 Fri 31-Mar-23 10:10:04

FannyCornforth

Jitty - Derby
Gulley - Dudley

I’m trying to think what my friend from Doncaster called them…

Has anyone got any more regional examples of passage ways?

(I know that a very rude word has its origins there blush)

I thought they were alleys
But perhaps I'm posh
😂😂😂

Caramme Fri 31-Mar-23 10:00:39

Bomb sites! Someone mentioned going to school on your own while still young and that reminded me. Back in the very late ‘50s while still in junior school, on my way to school I used to choose to clamber through a bomb site, looking for slow worms.

Caramme Fri 31-Mar-23 09:52:51

HousePlantQueen

*Wedding receptions in Scotland, in a local hall, steak pie dinner, followed by Scottish country dancing - and lots of alcohol. A great time was had by all for a reasonable outlay*

I remember going to an aunt's house, (in Scotland) to view the 'show of presents' before my cousin's wedding. All laid out on the table, with the gift card beside so all could see who had given what. Tea, homemade cake and judgement grin

Yes, I had one of those prior to my wedding in ‘71. Horrible idea and you’re absolutely right, very judgemental.

Cabbie21 Fri 31-Mar-23 09:39:37

I remember almost all of the things listed and mentioned.
We lived with my Nan to begin with and I recall mum using a flat iron, but I can’t recall what sort of stove it was heated on. There were two, so as one got cold, she swapped it for a hotter one.
Our next home was half a house, literally, with the owner next door. Two up, two down. Washing done on Mondays by heating water in the copper. Toilet was down the garden, an Elsan, emptied weekly by the soil cart. Tin bath by the fire once a week. I went first, then my sister, then my parents after we had gone to bed. Potty in the bedroom.
Next home was huge, no central heating, but hot water was heated by back burner of coal fire. Later Dad put an immersion heater in. Still weekly baths.
Stone hot water bottles. Mum spent half the evening trailing up and down the stairs, moving the stone bottle from one bed to the next, replacing it with a rubber one.
I plan to take my grandson to a museum where there is a house showing all these things.

Juliet27 Fri 31-Mar-23 08:21:32

We used to use Izal loo paper as tracing paper when we were at school 😂
And you could wrap a sheet round a comb and pretend it was a harmonica!

FannyCornforth Fri 31-Mar-23 08:07:09

Thanks Ailidh
So we’ve got:

Ginnel
Gulley
Jitty
Jigger
Twittern
Snicket

Ailidh Fri 31-Mar-23 07:45:57

Ginnel (hard g, like ghost) or snicket in West Yorkshire. Purists claim there's a difference.
My best friend was from Liverpool and he called it a jigger.

Katie59 Fri 31-Mar-23 07:22:14

It’s progress the things we take for granted today would have been ultra luxury 50+ yrs ago, the amount of physical work that my mother and grandmother had to do was massive in comparison. When I was very young we had a privy down the garden a single tap in the kitchen and copper wash boiler in the corner.

Having an indoor loo and a proper bathroom was the biggest change.

BlueBelle Fri 31-Mar-23 07:17:05

Waiting in the rain in a q by the red telephone box after 6 pm as it was cheaper after 6 pm
Listening to the archers and Mrs Dales diary with mum, and children’s hour while she cooked tea
Helping Nan clean the ornaments with Brazzo
Coal-men with the big heavy bags of coal over their shoulders walking up the path to the coal shed
The pig man that came round for your vegetable waste
Pushing the iron plug into the light socket to iron your clothes
Sitting by the coal fire toasting toast on a long fork and getting red mottled legs
Holding the newspaper over the fire place to ‘ draw it’
Being given an eggcup of whiskey to rub on toothache and heating salt in a handkerchief to put on earache
Defo Dr Whites, looped, elastic waist band and liberty bodies with buttons and metal loops
Drying my long hair by sitting on a little stool in front of the gas oven with the door open
Going to the shop nearby for paraffin filled up in a can
Covering your school books in wallpaper to keep them clean each term
Being put on a town bus to go to school 3 miles away sitting on the long end seat near the conductor and being given the end of the roll out of his machine as a ‘ present’ I felt a million dollars
oh and so many more memories

FannyCornforth Fri 31-Mar-23 06:31:58

Jitty - Derby
Gulley - Dudley

I’m trying to think what my friend from Doncaster called them…

Has anyone got any more regional examples of passage ways?

(I know that a very rude word has its origins there blush)

FannyCornforth Fri 31-Mar-23 06:28:08

jenpax

Granmarderby10 What is a jitty please? Is it the same as a twittern (Sussex) ie a passage way?

Yes! smile

Catterygirl Fri 31-Mar-23 00:13:09

Oh goodness. I thought the blue bag was Smiths crisps with a bag of salt!

Callistemon21 Thu 30-Mar-23 22:35:27

Lizzyflip

We used to use Izal loo paper as tracing paper when we were at school 😂

Oh yes!!

jenpax Thu 30-Mar-23 22:34:00

Granmarderby10 What is a jitty please? Is it the same as a twittern (Sussex) ie a passage way?

Callistemon21 Thu 30-Mar-23 22:33:02

Hair - The latter dried in front of fire or the sun.

I remember my young DC putting lemon juice on their hair, sitting out in the sun to see if it went blonde or not.
It went a very peculiar colour!

MooM00 Thu 30-Mar-23 22:32:34

Eating butter and sugar sandwiches, your mum spitting on a handkerchief to wipe your face. Talking about sts my mum gave us a flanalett sheet to use. Don’t forget the pawn broker.

Kamj Thu 30-Mar-23 21:13:30

I've only heard of bellows,