Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Missing website for Loving Hands charity

(16 Posts)
marshmarigold132 Thu 13-Apr-23 16:37:38

I just wondered if anyone on this thread who knits or crochets has heard of Loving Hands?

I used to go on their site to see which charities needed knitted or crocheted things but the website has now disappeared.

Chardy Fri 14-Apr-23 08:53:11

Sorry, no

FannyCornforth Fri 14-Apr-23 09:00:53

Hello
I just googled Loving Hands, and I recently had exactly that problem with another small website that I regularly used in the past.
I don’t know what to do about it either! Sorry!
It’s obviously a tech issue.

FannyCornforth Fri 14-Apr-23 09:02:58

I know that a poster called Witzend makes a lot of things for charities, I’m sure that she can point you in the right direction to other places.
I’m sure that she will see your thread in time

Witzend Fri 14-Apr-23 09:17:34

I knit ‘worry-eaters’ for Knit for Nowt - a charity run entirely by volunteers, who send therapy items out to children’s therapists all over the U.K. There is apparently always a massive waiting list. Such items are evidently just not available to buy, and even if they were, budgets are obviously limited. They all have a big mouth pocket, so children can write down worries or draw a picture, and give to him to ‘eat’.

Patterns (all donated by the designers) are free on the website but you do need to be a registered maker first.

I mostly make these, since they are apparently popular with the children - big and fat and cuddly! - and always turn out well. He’s fairly quick to make - 2 strands of DK on 5 mm needles. But there are lots of other lovely patterns.

Witzend Fri 14-Apr-23 09:20:00

I should have added, there are also patterns for crocheted and sewn items.

FannyCornforth Fri 14-Apr-23 09:34:15

👋 I knew that you’d be able to help Witzend! smile

marshmarigold132 Fri 14-Apr-23 11:17:44

Thanks to everyone replying. Still a mystery but sure I’ll manage to find other charity sites. I crochet blankets and at moment am knitting a large size jumper. Think Knit for Syria will hopefully be able to take them.

Never tried knitting a ‘worry eater’ I’ll give the site a look.

Thanks.

Callistemon21 Fri 14-Apr-23 11:23:29

I sent a lot of knitted items and blanket squares to a small charity called Lily run by a British lady in Turkey for Syrian refugees.
My last parcel was returned to me and I think the charity has folded because, last I heard, she wasn't at all well.
I don't know if anyone has heard anything?

I then sent the items to Knit for Peace, hope they got there.

HeavenLeigh Fri 14-Apr-23 11:25:57

Witzend I love him,he’s great

Witzend Fri 14-Apr-23 12:17:50

Thank you, HeavenLeigh - must confess that I often want to hang on to them, rather than posting them off to K for N!

marshmarigold132 Fri 14-Apr-23 17:32:30

I’m sure Knit for Peace will acknowledge your parcel, it may take some time though.

Callistemon21 Fri 14-Apr-23 17:40:30

marshmarigold132

I’m sure Knit for Peace will acknowledge your parcel, it may take some time though.

It was about 2 years ago, marshmarigold 🙂

marshmarigold132 Fri 14-Apr-23 18:27:25

Didn’t realise that perhaps not then. Sorry.

Witzend Sat 15-Apr-23 07:52:16

I used to make things for Knit for Peace, but you never really knew where they ended up, and a while ago they started asking for knitters to donate locally, rather than sending them in.

One reason I prefer Knit for Nowt is that the newsletter gives feedback from the children’s therapists who receive the items. I don’t mind admitting that reading extremely grateful thanks (not to me personally) does spur me on, and make me feel I’m doing something useful, rather than merely infinitely preferring knitting to housework! (Where is the lazy-baggage emoji when you need it??)

Before COVID lockdowns I also used to make twiddle muffs for patients with dementia, for my local hospital. They are great for using up all sorts of oddments. I used the pattern that comes up if you Google Oxford University Hospitals Twiddle Muffs.

MumW Fri 23-Jun-23 17:13:53

The Loving Hands Website has gone as it was too expensive to run.
The discussion forum is still available www.tapatalk.com/groups/lovinghands/