Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

🐝 The Great British Sewing Bee 🐝

(174 Posts)
Millie22 Thu 11-May-23 08:52:25

The new series of Sewing Bee is back on Wednesday 24th May ✂️✂️✂️

Beechnut Fri 28-Jul-23 19:27:13

It was wonderful watching the way Asmaa’s dress converted. I loved it.

Chardy Fri 28-Jul-23 18:14:27

Millie22

Asmaa's final dress was fabulous so I'm not at all surprised that she won. I think Mia just needed a bit more time to finish but she has such a talent and has made some fantastic garments. Also Tony did really well.

Overall I think it's been one of the best of the Sewing Bees.

Part of me agrees with your best Sewing Bee comment Millie22 -
lovely to see a man in the final
some amazing creativity
a lovely group of people who supported each other from Ep 1 to final
But
I think we all knew Asmaa would win from very early on.

Personally, I was slightly irritated by Asmaa's dress with 'lingerie' bodice, as we were told this was her speciality. Then this week when we found out her 'lingerie' was making unique bras for her mastectomy patients, I had tears in my eyes. (And I felt bad about my irritation with the lingerie dress!!)

Yes, the final's made-to-measure 3 dresses were great. Yes, the Victorian pattern challenge was ghastly.

Grammaretto Thu 27-Jul-23 09:51:38

Wasn't the dress beautiful!I think we can all agree that Aasma has been consistently the most worthy throughout.
A good threesome though for that final show. I'll miss it!

henetha Thu 27-Jul-23 09:44:23

I loved that amazing convertible dress that Asmaa made.
Sheer genius. What a great final it was. They were all good.

Mizuna Thu 27-Jul-23 09:00:43

I still can't work out how that green dress was concealed under the blue one, and how it unfurled so easily. It was amazing! A worthy winner, but I suspect Mia will go far, with her unique creativity.

Millie22 Thu 27-Jul-23 08:46:43

Asmaa's final dress was fabulous so I'm not at all surprised that she won. I think Mia just needed a bit more time to finish but she has such a talent and has made some fantastic garments. Also Tony did really well.

Overall I think it's been one of the best of the Sewing Bees.

eddiecat78 Thu 27-Jul-23 08:11:40

Must admit I was disappointed with the final. Not because of the winner but I thought the pattern challenge was a hideous dress no matter how well it was made, and I couldn't understand what they were trying to do in the transformation challenge. I would have liked more information about how the winner's dress was constructed . I don't know how it spiralled as it converted to the second dress.
Probably shouldn't say this but I was very pleased to see a straight guy in the final - hopefully he will encourage others to try sewing

annodomini Wed 26-Jul-23 23:18:10

I'd have been shocked if Asmaa had fallen at the last hurdle but of course she didn't. She was totally organised, competent and talented. What a strong woman she is. If Mia had been equally organised, her imaginative talent might have carried her through. I'm glad she is going on a course of costume design.

grannydarkhair Wed 26-Jul-23 23:02:35

I agree Asmaa was a worthy winner but tbh her final blue/green dress is the first garment she’s made that I’ve truly liked. Whereas I’ve really liked most of the outfits that Mia made, including her daft rubber glove effort the other week. And yes Tony did very well to make it to the final, he too had some fun ideas.

Wyllow3 Wed 26-Jul-23 22:20:48

Stunning last dress.

and her transformation - I think it was then I thought, she's going to do this as I just knew she would have planned the last challenge to perfection. Poor Mia, but she has such a bright future ahead.
Tony is fun - what a fab Dad.

BlueBelle Wed 26-Jul-23 22:20:02

I think the order of winning was correct They all did very well

silverlining48 Wed 26-Jul-23 22:12:39

Yes Asmaa was a worthy winner p

Joseann Wed 26-Jul-23 22:09:47

No contest there. To be honest Asmaa stood out from the start.

Fairislecable Wed 26-Jul-23 22:08:17

Well Asmaa definitely deserved to win, the green dress was totally gorgeous. I had thought Mia might pull it out of the bag but it was a very difficult challenge.

Tony did very well but his lack of experience really showed.

I will miss my Wednesday programme.

ixion Wed 26-Jul-23 22:05:17

How beautiful was Asmaa's (double) dress?
Breathtaking.

Callistemon21 Wed 26-Jul-23 22:03:04

Asmaa's final challenge was just amazing.
She's a very worthy winner.

Foxygloves Wed 26-Jul-23 21:57:25

Had to be - she was superb throughout.
The other two might qualify as “best improvers” but Asmaa was head and shoulders above them week on week.

Calendargirl Wed 26-Jul-23 21:53:03

Asmaa obviously going to win, and on tonight’s performance, well deserved.

Calendargirl Wed 26-Jul-23 18:55:43

Well, I bet Asmaa wins, but flying the flag for Mia.

Millie22 Wed 26-Jul-23 18:45:00

Looking forward to the final tonight.

I'm sure there will be some wonderful sewing.

Sparklefizz Thu 13-Jul-23 15:58:24

Asmaa's sewing is beautiful.
Mia's smoking jacket was highly original and it's a great pity that she didn't have time to finish it properly. Patrick had earlier said how difficult those scallops would be, yet she executed them perfectly.

I disagree with Calendargirl's post that Asmaa is "smug and priggish". I think she's rather humble (unlike Lizzie who has already left)

Asmaa can be original... what about her beautiful corset dress a couple of weeks ago (photo further up in the thread).

Asmaa and Mia in the final - not sure who the 3rd person would be as the others are not consistent.

Grammaretto Thu 13-Jul-23 14:18:58

I agree. I think Mia could do something brilliant and come out on top but it would mean that Asmaa would have to stuff up next week

NotAGran55 Thu 13-Jul-23 14:12:20

Imho Mia has it all. Fresh ideas and beautifully executed.

If I was a gambler I would put money on Asmaa’s final creation having a corset style bodice.

M0nica Thu 13-Jul-23 14:04:14

ladyleftfieldlover, No, it is not all about sewing skills. It is also about originality and adaptability and design flair. That is why May Martin, herself a superb needlewoman, was replaced by Esme, who knows her sewing but has also been an avant garde clothing designer and is looking for that 'something' that goes beyond just good needlework.

Beechnut Thu 13-Jul-23 13:02:57

I’m another for Mia’s smoking jacket. As good as Asmara’s was it wasn’t anything we had not seen before. I did like her garment of the week last week though.