Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Sewing aids that are really useful

(19 Posts)
Gin Sun 19-Nov-23 15:49:36

I have a friend who sews to a high standard. Never can think what to get her for Christmas so has anyone any tips for really useful sewing aids?

MerylStreep Sun 19-Nov-23 16:01:56

I don’t wish to offend but us who sew are very particular about our own sewing aids.
One of my daughters sews and we disagree on some aids
Having said that maybe a voucher for a high end material outlet.

Theexwife Sun 19-Nov-23 16:02:28

If she regularly sews she probably has everything she needs.

M0nica Sun 19-Nov-23 16:18:20

I fyou do not know exactly what she wants, I would think of something else to give her.

Nannarose Sun 19-Nov-23 16:23:39

I agree, but would suggest looking at a few sites for a voucher, or possibly one of the very expensive magazines (which I love receiving)
The Fold Line stock some lovely magazines, including my favourites Tauko and Selvedge, and they have fabulous accessories like pattern storage envelopes. They are the most 'unusual'.

Tailormouse do lovely sewing accessories, high quality pins & haby.

Fabric Godmother probably have the greatest range of fabric & haby, also workshops.

Hope that helps. I'm also looking at a book called The Geometry of Sewing, on the Present Indicative site.
I make sure I'm anonymous on here - but wondering if I could direct anyone to see what I would like in my stocking!

Ali23 Sun 19-Nov-23 16:26:41

I like to have a sharp pair of bent/ angled hardanger scissors. The blade is angled, the point is fine and they are soooo useful. There are various makes.

keepcalmandcavachon Sun 19-Nov-23 16:32:55

Hi Gin I would think about a nice mug with a chocolate reindeer and a book token inside There are 'sew' many fab crafty books out there, she'll be spoilt for choice!

Nannarose Thu 23-Nov-23 10:02:08

I've just been looking at the lovely accessories that clothkits are now stocking - ethically sourced. I still recommend a voucher, but that's another website to consider!
Anyone know why so many of these nice fabric / haby places are based in Sussex?

CoolCoco Thu 23-Nov-23 10:13:23

Liberty sell some lovely big wooden bobbins with Liberty print bias binding on them. Very useful.

Susie42 Fri 24-Nov-23 12:46:31

I would do as others have suggested, a voucher so that your friend can choose something that she needs or wants. My OH was talked into buying a fancy accessory that I have never used when what I really wanted was a sewing lamp.

Susie42 Fri 24-Nov-23 13:10:01

Update: I have just received an email from “The Sewing Directory” and there is a section on sewing gifts so it might be worth a look.

karmalady Sun 26-Nov-23 05:40:31

A liberty tana lawn fabric bundle

JackyB Fri 01-Dec-23 10:59:49

Hello Gin sorry I'm probably a bit late but have just seen this video which might help. However, it really is difficult if you don't sew yourself and/or you don't know what she's already got. Claire in the video mentions a company that sells high quality sewing accessories, so maybe a voucher from them would be the right choice.

youtu.be/QfaLpxmvmWc?si=-E4kY5n6V9oAqgIL

JackyB Fri 01-Dec-23 11:01:34

merchantandmills.com/uk/fine-work-gold

This is the company's site

DaisyAnneReturns Fri 01-Dec-23 11:07:57

I would go for the voucher. I have been generously given items in the past. Please don't risk it.

Gin Fri 01-Dec-23 11:24:28

Thanks for all your helpful comments. I used to sew a lot myself but alas arthritic hands and poor eyesight are not helpful when sewing.
There are lots of sites for me to look at, I shall enjoy that. I know that probably a voucher would be the best option but I hate giving them as presents.

I

Chardy Fri 01-Dec-23 15:29:54

There are plenty of sewing magazines about. Would a year's subscription be appropriate?

Nannarose Fri 01-Dec-23 15:33:24

Gin, I know what you mean about vouchers, but really, the pleasure of choosing something is a great one for me.

Susie42 Fri 01-Dec-23 15:38:38

I've found that most of the sewing magazines in the UK are aimed at beginners and experienced sewists wouldn't find them very helpful. I gave up subscribing to any of them some time ago.