Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Crafting holidays

(13 Posts)
Ali23 Tue 02-Jan-24 22:25:54

I’m aiming to go on my first short break without DH this year. I’ve been looking at sewing/ craft breaks.

Does anyone have any recommendations for mid budget craft breaks in this country please? I’m a bit of a jack of all trades, master of none. I tend to lean towards textiles and papercrafts but would be up for beginners courses of something new.

I live in the midlands and would probably need to use public transport to get there, so not too far north or south.

Thanks, in anticipation 😊

PestyOne Tue 02-Jan-24 22:32:32

I'd love to do something like that as I love papercrafts.

Crafters Companion used to do a 3 night thing, but haven't seen it advertised for so couple of years.
I'll keep an eye on this thread for the recommendations.

Whiff Wed 03-Jan-24 05:19:59

I have seen them advertised over the years but they are expensive and always in our of the way places. So unless you drive it may be difficult to find. There is a company you may need to Google craft holidays but lot where abroad again expensive .

Do you belong to a craft group? If not again Google and you may find one in your area. I used to live in the black country and only found knitting or crochet groups. But since moving to the north west I am a member of a mixed media craft group. We just take in what we are working on it's held at our local library it's free . We have a room for 2 hours and have use of loo and kitchen so have a box with all our tea etc in it.

Local churches might have craft groups they are usually open to anyone.

Wool and craft shops usually run classes but don't know what they charge. I know my sister in law has tried various crafts. She does crochet and needle felting. I am a cross stitcher.

I know a member of our group goes to Blackpool for knitting holidays few times a year.

Nacky Wed 03-Jan-24 06:18:09

Lovely idea! Have you looked at HF Holidays? They are mainly known for walking holidays but also arrange others including some art and craft. Very friendly and great programmes both for the chosen activity and evening events. I've stayed at several of their houses and have always used public transport to get there. Another idea is the Marlborough College summer school with week long courses during July and August and these include many craft options. They run coaches from Victoria and Swindon to the campus. West Dean in Sussex provide various courses (train to Chichester, bus from there) and Denham College might also be of interest to you (bus met participants at Oxford station when I went there a some years ago). Lots of other choices too so hope you find something that suits you.

CornflowerBlue Wed 03-Jan-24 06:37:16

I've done a few crafting holidays at The Manor and Ashbury Resort in Devon (Okehampton) and they're great fun! It's full board, the food's really good, self-service, rooms are basic but perfectly adequate with all you need, the cost is really good. They have all sorts of craft workshops, usually 90 minutes long, so you get to try out loads of crafts to see if you like them, before you go out and buy the kit! The classes and tuition are free, you just pay for the supplies you need, like the glass items in glass engraving, the wood blanks in pyrography, etc. I've had a go at needlefelting, card stamping, jewellry making, resin painting, pottery, candle making, decoupage, glass fusion, lino printing, mosaics, scroll saws, stained glass copper foiling, etc etc. It's also a sporting hotel, with golf courses, swimming pools. snooker, tennis, bowling, archery, shooting, you name it! And there's a hydro spa, saunas, massage etc too. I go on my own, though many go with groups or husbands. Out of season and in term time, there are few families, as it does get busy with families in the holiday periods. And if you go by train, as I do from up north, they'll even pick you up from the station to save you getting a bus to the hotel. Once you are in the hotel grounds, you do not need to leave, as there is so much going on! Oh yes, and they do zumba, hula hooping, fitness classes, and there's a small gym too. I absolutely love it! Look it up and see what you think!

Allsorts Wed 03-Jan-24 06:38:27

Shearings used to Dom them years ago and Inwas always going to go on one but never got round to it. I live in the Midlands and have found a place that does day courses but there's no public transport there.

yggdrasil Wed 03-Jan-24 08:56:56

Cornflower: thanks for the tip. That sound like the sort of place we would love, for separate reasons

JackyB Wed 03-Jan-24 09:08:53

My sister went on one recently, as she had been given a voucher for a retirement present. She was torn between leatherwork. Photography, and a couple of other skills she has some knowledge of. She chose leatherwork because it was at a location close to her and because she hadn't really done that before. I don't know the name of the organisation though. Just wanted to suggest some more unusual crafts which you may not have thought of.

She has also done one on machine embroidery. Very different from anything else, but TBH I didn't really like the style of those pictures.

Ali23 Wed 03-Jan-24 09:09:10

Thank you so much for the suggestions. They sound right up my alley! I’ll take a look at them all and let you know what I think.

Ali23 Wed 03-Jan-24 09:11:57

Allsorts, please could you let me know where the day course place is? I could take the car for a day. (We share a car).

Ali23 Wed 03-Jan-24 16:04:55

CornflowerBlue, thank you. The Manor and Ashbury resort looks just right and the train journey not too complicated. I’ve just got to pick a date now and book myself in!
Something to look forward to, indeed!

CornflowerBlue Wed 03-Jan-24 17:32:50

Ali23 - I hope you have a wonderful time there! I've just booked to go again later in the year. I tend to go for 4 or 5 days but some people go for a week or even two!! I meet lots of people there who have stayed very many times over the years. I try to fit in 4 workshops a day plus a massage or sauna. Quite a few husbands go off and play golf or something whilst their wives do the crafting, then meet up for meals, though some men join in with the crafts too and vice versa of course!!. Just make sure you take an extra bag for the things you make. And some bubble wrap is a good idea so nothing gets broken!! I made a wedding present there in November for my daughter (Dec wedding) and Xmas presents for my family members! I get very excited about going and planning what to make. You can usually see the timetable of workshops a couple of days before you go but do sign up for workshops as soon as they are available as some are very popular. Have fun!

Nacky Wed 03-Jan-24 18:37:40

Thanks for posting this, sounds an interesting place. I have downloaded their brochure!