Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Scissors v rotary cutter?

(16 Posts)
Mizuna Wed 24-Jan-24 18:19:28

I've managed to misplace my dressmaking scissors and am wondering whether to buy a rotary cutter in the interim as my scissors will reappear at some point. I've seen them used on The Great British Sewing Bee. Does anyone here prefer them to scissors and do they really cut any type of fabric? Are they as good as scissors? I work with mostly denim, thick fleece and corduroy.

Baggs Wed 24-Jan-24 18:24:41

I use rotary cutters for patchworking fabrics, usually in layers. Their advantage is that you can cut several layers at a time more easily than with scissors because you're usually cutting against an edge.

I think they would work on denim, for straight edges; not so sure about thick fleece or corduroy.

I tend to cut patchwork wadding with scissors.

Mizuna Wed 24-Jan-24 18:29:12

Thank you Baggs. I've just had a thought; presumably I'd need a cutting mat? My work tables have oilcloth covers.

Rosie51 Wed 24-Jan-24 18:35:37

I have rotary cutters in various sizes I've always just used for quilting type projects. For me they work well used against a straight edge. I'm useless using them for dressmaking, although lots do seem to manage and they are quicker if you can. Blades have to be sharp, and it is an ongoing expense replacing the blades. I'm not sure the fabrics you mostly work with are the best for rotary cutters, you'd need to apply a fair amount of pressure and maintain a sharp blade. As Baggs says denim would probably be the easiest of those to cut with a rotary blade. And yes you'd need a cutting mat and ones large enough to accommodate dressmaking patterns don't come cheap!

eddiecat78 Wed 24-Jan-24 18:38:37

I do have one but only use it for cutting straight strips to make bias binding. I find they get blunt very quickly and yes, you'd need a large cutting mat. They also can be very dangerous !

keepcalmandcavachon Wed 24-Jan-24 18:52:36

I think they are invaluable for patchworking, cutting precise layers of fabrics but don't know if I would want to use without a ruler of some sort to cut up against. Sorry Mizuna, is this what you mean? Love sewing but never seen Sewing Bee!

Mizuna Wed 24-Jan-24 19:03:43

Thanks all for your very, very useful advice. Looks like I'll be buying another pair of scissors, which is ok as my granddaughter and I both use them when she comes on Saturdays. I had no idea cutting mats were so expensive and also I don't have the space to store one. My flat is dinky, which makes it all the more ridiculous that my scissors have vanished. I always keep them in the same drawer and it's empty!

karmalady Wed 24-Jan-24 19:11:47

I use both but rotary cutters are my go-to for most fabrics. You need a cutting board, weights and a steady hand. I sew a lot, all my own clothes and more. Rotary cutting is very accurate and quick. I have olfa rotary cutters, they have a safety device which locks the blade

I have large cutting mats and store them under my sofa as they need to be kept flat

keepcalmandcavachon Wed 24-Jan-24 19:18:58

How lovely for you and your granddaughter to be sewing together, Mizuna hope you have lots of fun. And cake, lots of cake!

Mizuna Wed 24-Jan-24 19:25:15

keepcalmandcavachon

How lovely for you and your granddaughter to be sewing together, Mizuna hope you have lots of fun. And cake, lots of cake!

Fortunately she doesn't have a sweet tooth, so that's double cake for me. 😄 She devours cucumber instead.

Mizuna Wed 24-Jan-24 19:30:08

karmalady
I use both but rotary cutters are my go-to for most fabrics. You need a cutting board, weights and a steady hand.

It's occurred to me that I use my mannequin a lot and cut into the fabric hanging on it. A cross between art and dressmaking I suppose, so a rotary cutter wouldn't work for that, but thank you for the comments.

Rosie51 Wed 24-Jan-24 22:10:10

Mizuna

keepcalmandcavachon

Fortunately she doesn't have a sweet tooth, so that's double cake for me. 😄 She devours cucumber instead.

One of my grandsons devours cucumber, I thought he was a one-off grin Unfortunately he will also devour cake so I have to share.....

Tricia2 Thu 25-Jan-24 01:46:26

Rotary cutter is the way to go for straight edge cutting. It does not work the curves at all. You will need a vinyl cutting board with a measuring grid and a straight-edge ruler, preferably clear. Good Luck!

Mizuna Thu 25-Jan-24 07:48:09

Thank you, I'm definitely getting new scissors today. Everyone's comments here have been so useful, really appreciated.

Susie42 Thu 25-Jan-24 07:54:38

Mizuna - I can recommend Kai scissors, I have found them to be better than Fiskars.

Mizuna Thu 25-Jan-24 08:26:27

Thanks Susie42, will Google them.