Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Blocking crochet hexagons

(10 Posts)
eddiecat78 Thu 08-Feb-24 12:57:21

I am quite new to crochet and am making a cardigan which is made up of lots of hexagons. These need to be blocked which I haven't done before. I have some sturdy polystyrene thick sheets - could I use these rather than buying a proper blocking board? I'd also appreciate some tips on how to mark the board to ensure good hexagons - or any other tips! Should I be stretching the hexagons into shape or be more gentle? They are already slightly large so I don't want to make them bigger!

aggie Thu 08-Feb-24 13:06:42

I’ve never blocked my crochet , but just joined and they seem to settle
I do know that heat would spoil them , pinning gently to shape and dampen lightly is recommended , let it dry naturally

TinSoldier Thu 08-Feb-24 14:09:17

I use a set of big play mats - the kind that have teeth around two sides and fit together like a jigsaw but polystyrene might work.

I knit lace which needs quite aggressive blocking. I use stainless steel T pins to mark the edges and points. You can but them on Amazon or in craft stores. Don't use anything that could rust and mark your work.

A good steam block with the iron should be sufficient. Don't press the fabric. Yarns made from animal fibre are more malleable than synthetics.

Find a paper template online to print and use to mark out the board. This, for example, for a six inch hexagon:

patternuniverse.com/download/6-inch-hexagon-pattern/

Or you could buy a clear plastic quilters hexagon.

Callistemon21 Thu 08-Feb-24 14:49:31

I've never blocked crochet but have done with knitting.

We had some roofing insulation blocks left over and I covered a couple of them with old cot sheets. They seem to work well.

Damp first, place on the block then ease gently into shape, don't stretch them. Pin in place and leave to dry naturally.

Callistemon21 Thu 08-Feb-24 14:50:24

I use a set of big play mats - the kind that have teeth around two sides and fit together like a jigsaw but polystyrene might work.
They'd be good too.

Primrose53 Thu 08-Feb-24 15:13:27

I never block my crochet but I am a very consistent crocheter.
My Mum used to block her knitting.

Ali08 Thu 08-Feb-24 15:31:07

Primrose53

That's very pretty.

eddiecat78 Thu 08-Feb-24 15:49:21

Thanks. The pattern is the Flower Power Cardigan from Adventures in Crafty (sorry, don't know how to do a link). I'm using acrylic yarn which I understand doesn't block as well as natural fibres but I'll give it a go

keepcalmandcavachon Thu 08-Feb-24 18:17:58

So beautiful Primrose53, I just love the mandala effect and your stunning colour choice. sunshine

Purplepixie Thu 08-Feb-24 18:24:31

Primrose53

Such beautiful work!

I never block my crocheting and it always comes out ok.