Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Sewing Bee 2026

(211 Posts)
PiscesLady Wed 17-Jun-26 19:40:24

Starts on 28th July. Let's hope it's a good one!

Purplepixie Wed 02-Sept-26 00:35:23

I think the right person went this week. What were her health problems?
She certainly didn’t expect that!

Fairislecable Tue 01-Sept-26 23:04:17

They are all very skilled sewers but Rebecca really lacked flair in her designs. The amazing accuracy of the white piping on the little jacket made the hemline wobble look worse.

Grandmabatty Tue 01-Sept-26 21:53:56

I thought Emma might go but Rebecca's outfit was twee, i agree

ixion Tue 01-Sept-26 21:53:42

I don't think Rebecca saw that coming.
She was very defensive of the comments made on her jacket.

MartavTaurus Tue 01-Sept-26 21:52:06

What is Rebecca's health problem? I must have missed that.

MartavTaurus Tue 01-Sept-26 21:47:23

I think the right person went. Rebecca made a lot of mistakes that let the garment down.

Casdon Tue 01-Sept-26 21:18:37

Rebecca made too many errors today, and I thought her outfits were both a bit twee - I think she was the right choice to go.

Calendargirl Tue 01-Sept-26 21:01:56

Oh, poor Rebecca was so upset.

I don’t think she expected it to be her.

To be honest, I thought it might be Anna, but am sure Patrick wants her to stay in.

Sarnia Thu 27-Aug-26 04:13:00

Gingster

What don’t I get about this programme. I tried again last night to see if I would enjoy it more.
It’s soooo boring 🥱. The things they make are awful. Patrick loves himself, and Esme 😤.well, no comment and the new presenter , no better than the ones that went before. Why is she there!
I lasted 10 minutes and turned over for The Dog House.

Clearly not for you.

Graphite Wed 26-Aug-26 13:45:14

I think the brief was confusing because old photos from Studio 54 shows it wasn’t all about sequins and glitter. There were plain couture dresses; costumes worn by celebrities such at Bianca Jagger, Diana Ross, Alana Hamilton, Farrah Fawcett etc so Rebecca did meet the brief.

But I think what the judges were really after was the flamboyant over-the-top look of Abba, Earth Wind and Fire and others of that era. My favourite was Emma’s outfit which looked fabulous on her model especially the beret.

I usually dislike the transformation challenge but this week’s was very good especially the punk trio. I thought the more country-inspired trio was going to win as Patrick said each of the outfits had more individual character but I suspect Adele’s poorly sewn skirt let the group down. That or Esme had the final say and she likes a bit of punk.

Hard to predict who is going to win this. Anna has the edge for original design imo but, as we know, one bad week or round can change fortunes.

MollyNew Wed 26-Aug-26 13:27:32

I'm enjoying this series, some very talented sewers and the team tasks have added a new dimension to the competition. Patrick has a great sense of humour and Esme name dropped Cher this week!

The red dress was very 70's and beautifully made but not disco.

Calendargirl Wed 26-Aug-26 13:17:26

Yes, the right one went home.

I think Anna is the best, but all the others are good, especially Beth, but also Rebecca.

Emma annoys me a bit, not sure why, she seems so smiley and nice.

I didn’t watch last year’s, but think this is a good year.

Also think Sophie is a great presenter, so much better than that last woman whose name escapes me.

BlueBelle Wed 26-Aug-26 13:10:55

I enjoyed tonight and thought the right person won and the right person went home ( although I really liked her and she was on the whole excellent but last night was not her night) ‘
I m not good with names but I think it’s Anna who is excellent and the only one that gets me a bit ‘teeth on edgy’ is Rebecca although she’s a good seamstress.

Grandmabatty Wed 26-Aug-26 12:30:22

I thought Adele was the right choice to go. I'm sad because she seemed genuinely nice. The Red dress wasn't a disco dress at all but presumably we'll sewn. I loved the kaftan. Anna is at the top of my list as a future winner

JudyBloom Wed 26-Aug-26 12:26:06

I am enjoying this season's Sewing Bee, the contestants are full of imagination. Anna and Beth continue to shine ......

LauraNorderr Wed 26-Aug-26 12:15:52

Yes Millie, the cone bra looked incredibly difficult.

LauraNorderr Wed 26-Aug-26 12:15:06

I agree Sarnia, the red dress was gorgeous but didn’t shout disco to me either.

LauraNorderr Wed 26-Aug-26 12:13:44

Quick note to Gingster, maybe fast forward to the final twenty minutes or so and see if you enjoy the more serious and very creative garments.
You might enjoy that more.

LauraNorderr Wed 26-Aug-26 12:05:39

I don’t sew other than the odd hem (sometimes very odd) and the odd button but really enjoy sewing bee.
We don’t have to sew to appreciate wonderful talent and imagination.
Same applies to bake-off, portrait artist, pottery throw down and many more showcases for the talent all around us.
I do agree that Esme and Patrick know their stuff and I enjoy their banter.
In my opinion Sophie is a big improvement on the previous presenter. She doesn’t make it all about herself and shows a relaxed friendship with the contestants.

eddiecat78 Wed 26-Aug-26 11:57:34

Do you sew Ginster? I suspect not. Esme is very experienced and isn't it great to see an older woman as a judge? Patrick has been my hero since I read his book "Less". They are great friends and most of their banter is tongue in cheek.
The latest presenter is the best so far - the right balance of fun and encouragement.
I've been sewing 50+ years and the instructions for the conical bra brought me out in a cold sweat.
I'm enjoying this series more than for years - though I would like to see some classical tailoring techniques as well as "showy" outfits

Gingster Wed 26-Aug-26 07:56:39

What don’t I get about this programme. I tried again last night to see if I would enjoy it more.
It’s soooo boring 🥱. The things they make are awful. Patrick loves himself, and Esme 😤.well, no comment and the new presenter , no better than the ones that went before. Why is she there!
I lasted 10 minutes and turned over for The Dog House.

Sarnia Wed 26-Aug-26 07:43:02

No surprise that Adele went home. I didn't like Rebecca'a outfit. Despite being well made it didn't shout DISCO to me.
The next couple of weeks will be fine margins between the ladies left in. They are all very talented. Sophie is the best presenter by far.

Millie22 Tue 25-Aug-26 20:12:17

This cone bra looks so difficult to make.

Calendargirl Wed 12-Aug-26 06:44:45

Kept noticing Tim’s different coloured nail polish.

I think it was blue last week, red last night?

JenniRen Tue 11-Aug-26 21:19:55

Probably the right person went home but I shall miss Tim. He said he had only been sewing for two years so what he has achieved is very impressive.