Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Sewing Bee 2026

(211 Posts)
PiscesLady Wed 17-Jun-26 19:40:24

Starts on 28th July. Let's hope it's a good one!

Grandmabatty Tue 11-Aug-26 21:04:06

The right winner of garment of the week. I might have chosen someone else to go home though.

Knitter43 Sun 09-Aug-26 09:28:47

The Sewing Bee continues to be very enjoyable. I wonder what Esme said to Lewis right at the end when he was the one chosen to.leave. Whatever it was it seemed to cause great amusement! Yes Patrick still seems to have the cold. Maybe it's hay fever?

Calendargirl Thu 06-Aug-26 12:10:43

I think this series is good, all the sewers seem nice.

I also agree about Sophie, so much better than the last one who was poor, can’t recall her name.

Grannybags Thu 06-Aug-26 11:02:52

I’m enjoying this series too and agree about Sophie.

Millie22 Thu 06-Aug-26 10:53:41

I'm enjoying this series and think Sophie is the best host since Claudia left.

Poor Patrick still had a cold when they were filming for Mexican week.

AskAlice Thu 06-Aug-26 00:41:08

Monica I agree with you on the makeovers. I tend to skip through those when I watch on iPlayer as most of them are just cobbled together a bit like fancy dress outfits with no real "wearability". Just occasionally something stands out as a good "make" that could be worn, but not often.

My mum made her wedding dress from parachute silk that my Dad brought home from the Far East when he came back after the war in 1948. She then cut it up and used the fabric to make school shirts when my brothers started school. I can remember her cutting up her own old dresses to make new ones for me when I was very young, and I had a dressing gown made from old bath towels.

M0nica Wed 05-Aug-26 18:26:06

Most of the make-overs are totally impractical and rarely are any of the garments wearable.

I can remember real makeovers just after WW2. My father had (legal) access to old army blankets and parachute silk. All my underwear in my first 5 years was home made from parachute silk. My mother even made her own bras. Blankets were made into dressing gowns and cut down and remade for cots. Sweaters were unravelled and reknitted.

Sarnia Wed 05-Aug-26 16:52:32

In a sea of colour, Lewis's shirt and trousers stood out like a sore thumb being plain white. I think those who are sent home in the early stages very likely heave a sigh of relief when they see what others are producing. I was pleased that it was Heather who had garment of the week, for a change.
I really like Sophie as presenter. A lady who is clearly very comfortable in her own skin which is good to see.

JenniRen Wed 05-Aug-26 16:27:47

They weren't really wearable but fun!

Calendargirl Wed 05-Aug-26 16:26:47

Think the PVC outfits would be a bit uncomfortable in the heatwaves we’re having!

I used to have a bottle green PVC Mac, (remember them?) and it was never very forgiving to wear, despite being fashionable back in the day.

JenniRen Wed 05-Aug-26 14:54:53

This episode was more enjoyable and some of the outfits were excellent.

Surprising what you could achieve with pvc tablecloths! I'm sure there are still a couple lurking around from when the grandchildren used to come and enjoy painting and Playdoh.
Perhaps a fan dress?

M0nica Wed 05-Aug-26 14:05:55

He said as much at the end.. But all in all,it was a good episode.

Calendargirl Wed 05-Aug-26 13:05:32

Yes, Lewis was the worst.

I think he may have felt slightly relieved to be ‘out’. He never seemed comfortable with the recycling section.

Grandmabatty Wed 05-Aug-26 12:54:16

The right person went home last night, although it was close. Tim's outfit was sensational even if it wasn't perfect. I really liked the one which got Garment of the Week. I enjoyed the concept of Mexican week.

M0nica Thu 30-Jul-26 09:00:00

DD and I both thought the bag dress should have won.

I thought that the garments were meant to convey a clear message, just by looking at them and only the bin dress and the fishing net based one with all the rubbish pinned on it did so.

There was one with a slogan, but it was so bizarre, it was unwearable off the catwalk or in a fancy dress competition

The winning dress was beautiful, but you would not know it was a 'message' dress unless someone told you - and that applied to several of the garments.

NoodleNut Wed 29-Jul-26 22:13:50

I'd like to see the MTM models used being different sizes.
Anna is with out doubt very good, but she did a dress very much in her 'own style' pretty much her own size too - so not really that challenging for her. With the bag dress the fabric was a challenge in itself.
And in all honesty calico is a wonderful fabric to work with- there is a good reson it's used to make (sorry can't spell the word) 'tuiles' with!!

Grannybags Wed 29-Jul-26 22:03:47

My favourite was the shopping bag too

None of the men seem to be much good in this series. I think the right person was sent home though

Sarnia Wed 29-Jul-26 21:49:47

Beechnut

I was disappointed that shopping bag dress didn’t win.

Me too. Such a great idea and must have been the very devil to sew.

tanith Wed 29-Jul-26 19:16:04

Thankyou so much Graphite I completely forgot about iPlayer.

Graphite Wed 29-Jul-26 19:11:55

Some screen captures:

iPlayer:

www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m002zlrb/the-great-british-sewing-bee-series-12-episode-3

tanith Wed 29-Jul-26 19:04:18

I missed the last half this week and I’ve tried to find pics or videos of garment of the week but no luck has anyone found pics or videos of the dress please.

AskAlice Wed 29-Jul-26 17:52:21

What struck me most this week was that I think poor Patrick has a bad cold. He sounded very "bunged up"!

The fabric for the garment of the week was really beautiful, but I agree that the recycled bag garment was very cleverly designed and constructed and the message was much more immediate even without slogans or adornment.

I laughed out loud when Esme told them that the pattern challenge of making knickers had a "twist" - I don't think it was a deliberate joke and no-one else seemed to think it was funny!

Luckygirl3 Wed 29-Jul-26 12:56:13

I agree it was deliberate but that might apply to the other dress too.

It was a superb piece of design and sewing for sure, but the message was a bit opaque and other garments were criticised for the eco message not being clear.

Graphite Wed 29-Jul-26 12:47:29

Grandmabatty

I wondered if the garment of the week wasn't hemmed deliberately. I liked it but preferred the shopping bag dress. Definitely the right person went home

I think it was deliberate. If you look at other parts of the garment, they have raw edges too. It was the overall concept that caught Patrick's imagination as well as the dress itself.

JenniRen Wed 29-Jul-26 12:36:03

Oh dear, it sometimes feels as if they're following down the route of that ludicrous Game of Wool instead of being about skilful sewing.