Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

What is the point of fishing?

(137 Posts)
shysal Mon 20-Jun-11 11:01:53

It has always puzzled me that fishermen (or women) enjoy sitting for hours watching a float in order to maim fish then throw them back. Also you will never convince me that they are cold blooded so feel no pain. Perhaps you grandads can enlighten me. By the way, if you use ground bait, see my comment in the 'thrifty tips' thread.

Nonu Mon 03-Sep-12 16:49:39

I was at a place once where there were some men fishing , so we stood and watched for a while then one bloke caught one and no kidding I felt so sorry for the poor creature wriggling away . Ihad to leave .

MiceElf Mon 03-Sep-12 17:05:40

Oh Greatnan, only skate. Everything else as fresh as possible. Bright eyed and smelling only of the sea.

Vonnie Mon 03-Sep-12 22:58:21

My DH is a sea fisherman. He has only just sold his fourth boat.

You can`t beat the taste of really fresh fish.

JO4 Mon 03-Sep-12 23:13:26

Angling is a blood sport. It is a blight on riverside locations.

There is no evidence that fish feel no pain. Why would they not?

absentgrana Tue 04-Sep-12 08:26:52

Greatnan The freshness of fish depends where you buy it and where you live. The fish sold in my local market is caught the same morning about 25 miles away. I can't answer for the freshness of supermarket fish.

granjura Tue 04-Sep-12 16:42:50

We lived in Leicester which has a great fish market (well, not for me, I hate fish) - it couldn't be more central and therefore away from sea for the UK, but fish arrived fresh everyday from Skegness and area.

Nowhere in England is more than 70 miles away - so fish can be there in plenty of time for market to open.

Nonu Tue 04-Sep-12 17:18:51

I love Leicester so much , both my girls went to "Uni " there . The market was fabulous , such variety , and the people sooo friendly . grin

isthisallthereis Thu 11-Oct-12 10:47:18

We're getting way off topic but I live in Leicester, have done for the past 16 years. Yes the market here is wonderful but it is dying on its feet. People seem to want to shop indoors in the warm and dry plus free parking. I ride a bike and want to see the market survive. Ironically, it's the indoor fish market that's doing worst of all. Very smelly people say, and in a very unappealing building. Sad; I'd love to think our Council will sort things out but .....

Nanadogsbody Thu 11-Oct-12 10:57:45

Sadly * isthisall* this is typical of many in today's society. They want their fish to come in neat little sealed packets, preferably frozen, sans head, tail, fins, guts and bones and ......smell. Like you (I think) I like to see, eat and smell the real thing. I just open the windows and light a nice candle afterwards. grin

isthisallthereis Fri 12-Oct-12 23:05:37

Fresh fish doesn't smell - that's what I've always understood!

isthisallthereis Sat 13-Oct-12 15:51:22

I bought some huge rainbow trout from an angler who was lake fishing a while ago. Getting them home in an ever-breaking plastic bag (I was on a bike!) was a nightmare but I did pay only £1 a fish, in 2010.

But they turned out to have a rank, muddy taste. Horrible. Did I miss a trick? Soaking the fillets in milk or similar? I threw most of the fish away I'm ashamed to say sad

Pete Sat 13-Oct-12 17:07:06

Fresh air,countryside, peace and quiet,blending into the bankside surrounded by nature Oh! and the chance of catching a fish to return it to its secret world...........Yes "What is the point of fishing?" smile

jeni Sat 13-Oct-12 17:15:31

I used to like fishing from my boat. It's one of the things I miss. Very restful!

Nanadogsbody Sat 13-Oct-12 17:15:53

All fish smells when you're cooking it. it shouldn't smell bad or over strong, but it does smell...of fish! And I suspect these were brown trout if they tasted muddy, though of course I can see them so am only guessing.
I used to fish pete when I were a lass. envy.

soop Sat 13-Oct-12 17:17:21

Pete...well said! smile

artygran Wed 17-Oct-12 17:50:01

I started fly fishing last year, and now I am well and truly hooked, if you will pardon the pun. DH thinks fishing is a quite ridiculous waste of time, but it's his fault I got involved in it in the first place so he can't complain at the amount of time - or money (it is very expensive) - I spend doing it. I've had a lot of hobbies, but none as absorbing as this one. I am completely with Pete on this one.

crimson Wed 17-Oct-12 18:45:44

Did anyone see the programme on an obscure channel the other night where a man went fishing for huge sturgeon [there had been reports of 'monsters' in the rivers and he realised they were sturgeon]. Although they dwell on the bottom they sometimes leap out of the water and have can kill people by knocking them out of their boats.

artygran Wed 17-Oct-12 18:53:25

Crikey! I struggle to land a pound and a half - I have to lie down for a week!

granjura Wed 17-Oct-12 18:58:33

Very glad to report that coarse fishing is illegal in Switzerland. Catching fish and releasing, again and again- seems really cruel to me. All fishermen here have to follow a course before getting a licence.

Pete Wed 17-Oct-12 20:56:27

artygran don't worry!! Just get out there and enjoy......Tight Lines smile

Anne58 Wed 17-Oct-12 21:03:37

My (late) youngest son enjoyed fishing from an early age. He was taught the basics of fly fishing aged around 10 by a lovely chap who used to be a client years ago. He sent flowers to Jack's funeral, and among the words on the card was the phrase "Tight Lines"

Pete Wed 17-Oct-12 21:05:56

phoenix flowers

Anne58 Wed 17-Oct-12 21:07:37

Thanks Pete

artygran Thu 18-Oct-12 16:08:42

There are wonderful trout streams in Heaven, Phoenix - I'm banking on it or I won't go!

Anne58 Thu 18-Oct-12 16:29:18

arty I'm sure that Jack has found them already!