Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Wise AND vaguely presentable?

(48 Posts)
GeraldineGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 21-Jun-11 16:29:58

The Radio Times would like to photograph a gransnetter to go with their article about how wise we are in parenting matters. The photographer can come to you - if you're free Wednesday morning, please get in touch at [email protected], letting us know your location. Thanks!

supernana Tue 05-Jul-11 13:41:10

absentgrana...I love your definition. Gransnet is what we make it. As individuals, each of us can give of ourselves and, in return, take what others offer in the way of support, experience, fun and friendship.

absentgrana Mon 04-Jul-11 15:06:50

Charlotta There are lots of points about being on gransnet, most of them to do with discussing problems in our lives, sharing lovely things, boasting about our wonderful grandchildren (and sons or daughters), seeking information, advice, reassurance or comfort, etc. Some of us guard our identity and personal information quite closely; others are much more open. Gransnet, surely, is what you make it – for you.

Charlotta Thu 30-Jun-11 16:07:21

Isn't the point of being on-line that knowbody knows who you really are or what you look like. Even my partner doesn't know I'm on Gransnet it is my secret life and feels nice to have someting which only I know about.

goldengirl Thu 30-Jun-11 15:57:48

Bought the Radio Times today and thought you looked fabulous! What great publicity for gransnet. Well done wine

lucid Thu 30-Jun-11 15:51:05

After reading this thread I went out to buy the Radio Times...Brilliant and you look lovely Janthea I'll raise a wine to you.

supernana Thu 30-Jun-11 12:55:42

janthea...you did us proud! smile wine

twizzle Wed 29-Jun-11 17:40:27

Looking good janthea
smile

janthea Wed 29-Jun-11 17:05:08

Ladies - thanks for all your kind comments. grin

glassortwo Wed 29-Jun-11 13:17:49

janthea lovely photo.

supernana Wed 29-Jun-11 13:10:03

janthea will buy a copy of Radio Times tomorrow, and feel very proud to see you representing the happy band of Gransnetters. Well done smile

janthea Tue 28-Jun-11 15:42:59

Elegran You are sweet. Thank you.

Elegran Tue 28-Jun-11 14:15:44

Fame at last, Janthea!

The Radio Times has just arrived and there you are. I reckon they could have put you on the cover - better than that petrol-head!

janthea Fri 24-Jun-11 15:11:33

supernana It sounds like you are going to have a very busy, but wonderful, time with your family. smile

supernana Fri 24-Jun-11 13:58:20

janthea Sounds wonderful. The London Eye is a special treat. As for the Natural History Museum, I took my son there as a small child. The dinosaurs were a great favourite. When I've looked after newest little grandson in London for a week, I shall go north to Rutland. All the family will gather for my eldest son's 50th and my 70th birthday celebrations. Youngest Grandson then gets to meet his six cousins whose ages range for 11 to 22...all very exciting. smile

janthea Fri 24-Jun-11 10:39:59

GeraldineGransnet I was happy to help.

Supernana I love London. I live in South West London and work in Central London around Pall Mall. I'm sure you will have a lovely time. My daughter who lives in Luxembourg is coming over for 10 days in August so I'm sure we will take her 2 sons (4 and 2) around London for a day. Maybe visit the London Aquarium as we did last summer. They loved it. I know they want to go on the London Eye. We also went to the Natural History Museum as both boys love dinosaurs. smile

GeraldineGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 23-Jun-11 19:19:31

Janthea, thanks for stepping in. Hope the photographer didn't ask for too many 'work it girlfriend' poses. And thanks everyone for your supportiveness about my not being Jane Austen sad

supernana Thu 23-Jun-11 18:15:31

janthea...very pleased for you. I'll be in London for a week in July. My newest grandson lives W6. Being with him and walking through the busy streets of London makes me feel like Alice walking through the looking glass. Here, where we live, it is so quiet...just the sound of the sea and wind. When in London, I am carried along by the pulsating pace of life. There were more people travelling in the compartment on the tube than live in our nearest village! smile

janthea Thu 23-Jun-11 15:59:48

I was lucky. The photographer lived in North London and I live in South London. A mere hop, skip and a jump!

supernana Thu 23-Jun-11 14:44:41

Well done janthea. I also received an email on Tuesday afternoon. Sadly could not travel from Kintyre to London in time...an 11 hour journey from home.

jangly Thu 23-Jun-11 14:04:18

Oh, well done janthea! smile

jangly Thu 23-Jun-11 14:02:55

I doubt it Diva. I know I didn't. grin

janthea Thu 23-Jun-11 13:50:08

Well I didn't actually volunteer as I hadn't seen the post, but received an email from Geraldine Tuesday afternoon asking me if I would like to do it. I had previously volunteered for the Sunday Times gig that didn't happen.

It so happened that I wasn't at work on Wednesday, but looking after my daughter and grandaughter as my daughter had had a small procedure at hospital. So I thought - what's the worse that could happen!

The photographer came around to my house yesterday afternoon and took some photographs. We had a bit of fun with 'work it, girlfriend' but hopefully he managed to get some halfway decent pictures. He even took one of me and my grandaughter and emailed it to me.

Today I had a call from the Radio Times who wanted to ask me a few questions! I did remember something my boss says 'if you don't want to see it in the press, don't say it!'. However, the interviewer was charming and it all went well. It only took about 10 minutes.

When I told my daughter about the call, she said 'I hope you weren't contraversial, mother' and asked me what I had said. It turned she approved!! Phew!!

So I await with interest to see the results!! blush

Divawithattitude Wed 22-Jun-11 22:55:38

so did anyone actually volunteer?

baggythecrust! Wed 22-Jun-11 16:25:39

I can try though! grin

glassortwo Wed 22-Jun-11 16:22:40

baggy you got the crust you cant have everything grin