Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

kitchen floors

(13 Posts)
mitch Sat 13-Oct-12 15:23:46

Has anyone used floor paint on an uneven concrete floor? A very old cottage and nothing is square.

Ana Sat 13-Oct-12 15:26:42

We did use floor paint on our concrete floor in the utility room, but as it was uneven DH skimmed it with a layer of concrete first. What are you actually concerned about?

FlicketyB Sat 13-Oct-12 15:28:04

Yes, but only as a temporary solution until we could afford tiling. Floor needs to be dust free and any loose surface needs to be consolidated and got as even as possible before painting. If surface is in regular use several coats are necessary and b prepared to keep some paint by for touching up

Grannyeggs Sat 13-Oct-12 16:03:21

DH says you have to screed it first,which I think is the same as Ana said, skimming and screeding same thing? But he would not advise doing it straight on.

Ana Sat 13-Oct-12 16:04:58

I may well have got the term wrong, Grannyeggs! wink

Grannyeggs Sat 13-Oct-12 16:07:04

Ana I only got the "screed" word from DH who is a DIY fiend! I know nothing about it, but quite liked sharing his knowledge!

Barrow Sat 13-Oct-12 16:08:20

I think skimming is like a thin layer, whereas screed is a thicker layer - no doubt some grandads could let me know if I am wrong!

Grannyeggs Sat 13-Oct-12 16:22:06

My last words on floors, I'm beginning to send myself to sleep! Screed is a thin top layer of material, sand and cement, applied on concrete to even it out. Skimming is applying plaster to a wall or ceiling to provide a smooth uniform surface. So either is good, good luck Mitch.

Elegran Sat 13-Oct-12 16:23:04

I think screed is a thick layer of something solid and chunky, like concrete, and skim is a thin finer coat to finish it off.

I know DH used to plaster walls in several layers, ending with a skim coat that had to be perfect (or even more perfect than the layers underneath...) and if your walls are a bit rough but firm (Lil's Ample Bosom?) a plasterer wil skim it over for a simple improvement.

The floor of a garage is a screed.

Elegran Sat 13-Oct-12 16:24:03

A bit more accurate than my version, Grannyeggs but I was nearly right.

Grannyeggs Sat 13-Oct-12 16:28:09

You were Elegran smile

Ana Sat 13-Oct-12 16:34:14

Glad we've sorted that out! grin

Grannyeggs Sat 13-Oct-12 16:40:11

Apparently Ana, we haven't! DH now tells me skimming is the verb and screed is the noun. No more I promise, am I now eligible or the most boring posts on GN?
blush