Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Is Father Christmas real?

(66 Posts)
yogagran Wed 14-Nov-12 20:37:14

My DGD, age nearly 5, has come home from school today saying that some children have told her that Father Christmas isn't real. I think that this is really sad and it has raised two questions that I would like to put to you

Firstly - how old were your GC when they discovered the truth?

Secondly - what would be a good way for her parents and I to deal with this?

Ella46 Tue 20-Nov-12 16:25:09

Oh anno that made me laugh! grin

annodomini Tue 20-Nov-12 16:14:42

Three years ago, we were driving into London for our annual Boxing Day walk around Hyde Park and a visit to its funfair. On the opposite carriageway was spied Santa, having finished his rounds, driving a Ford Focus. He gave us a cheerful wave and went on his way. I hadn't realised that Santa was Indian. grin

vampirequeen Tue 20-Nov-12 16:03:43

On Sunday evening we were returning home when we saw a red light flashing in the sky. I have no doubt it was Rudolph (his nose is such a give away) and the other reindeers practising. After all you can't expect them to pull the sleigh all around the world in one night without some build up.

Dancinggran Fri 16-Nov-12 22:36:39

Last week I was acting as a Matron for our local amateur op and dram society who were performing 'Carousel'. The eldest of the children aged 12 commented when they were all discussing Christmas that there was no Father Christmas - the other girls aged between 6 and 9 years all looked horrified and told her she would get no presents. One of them was so concerned at the prospect of Rebecca getting nothing that she told her that she would have to say sorry and hope Father Christmas heard her.

Deedaa Fri 16-Nov-12 20:45:47

My six year old GS seems pretty convinced still, but I suspect he will play along for many years for fear of losing the presents smile

petallus Fri 16-Nov-12 19:09:52

Santa is most certainly real. As a powerful concept if nothing else.

Ana Fri 16-Nov-12 17:25:10

I'm not sure I like the tone of the 'From our Forums' reference to this thread. hmm How long is it 'normal' to believe, indeed!

jeni Fri 16-Nov-12 16:02:45

Oh! That let's me outsad I'm too tall!

Nanadog Fri 16-Nov-12 15:49:39

Told you he was real smile

No, not a closed shop jeni anyone who wants seasonal work, is willing to go to the North Pole to live and is under 60 cm tall can apply. Oh. You have to agree to wear the uniform too.

Ella46 Fri 16-Nov-12 15:26:02

Ooh NanaNel that makes me go all funny smile

NanaNel Fri 16-Nov-12 15:15:18

Of course Santa is real. when my sons were small they asked Santa if they could have Daddy home for Christmas. He looked at me and I shook my head.( Daddy was away in the army) Santa gently told the boys that he would do his best but couldn't promise. On Christmas Eve DH arrived on the doorstep unexpectedly.
I have believed ever since. smile

jeni Fri 16-Nov-12 14:48:29

Why should he only have elves? Is this a closed shop?

vampirequeen Fri 16-Nov-12 14:47:31

lol

I thought it was all done by magic in the elves workshop.

Nanadog Fri 16-Nov-12 14:35:59

He has an army of elves and fairies who work for minimum wages ian

Ian42 Fri 16-Nov-12 14:33:55

Of course Santa is real, however what puzzles me is how he can afford to give all his presents away in such a dreary economic climate.

veronica Fri 16-Nov-12 12:53:04

Bags. Similar to what I told my children when they were small. I could not bring myself to lie to my children but they just grew up knowing that FC was a traditional thing that it was fun to keep up. My daughter when she was was about two had a red coat and she dressed up as FC with a beard and distributed presents to those present.

Nelliemoser Fri 16-Nov-12 12:17:35

I think I might have been 7 or 8. I had a sister and a cousin who were 4yrs older and they probably gave the game away.

I think its a "game" children continue with even when they know what's what. A fun conspiracy which children enjoy and enter into.
I do feel sorry for children whose parents don't go along with that particular bit of make believe.
They miss out on the magic of the idea and the secrecy which is part of the festive season whether or not you call it a winter festival or Christmas or what.

I do wonder though at what age my children stopped believing that I always knew when they were up to no good because all Mums have Xray eyes!

annodomini Fri 16-Nov-12 09:59:49

There' a web site that shows you where Santa has got to on his way round the world on Christmas eve. Two years ago, while everyone else was being very serious about it, DGS, aged 3, said, in his best Victor Meldrew manner, 'I don't believe it'.

Nanadog Fri 16-Nov-12 09:05:00

The reindeers are in control worry not wink

absentgrana Fri 16-Nov-12 08:58:45

Mind you , I do worry about that old man driving his sleigh at Mach 7 with no sleep and all those glasses of sherry inside him.

Notsogrand Thu 15-Nov-12 22:10:56

vampirequeen, indeed smile

Nanadog Thu 15-Nov-12 21:49:16

* vampirequeen* absolutely smile

vampirequeen Thu 15-Nov-12 21:42:24

Santa comes to our house every Christmas Eve. Where else would the presents come from? Of course you have to believe or else other people have to buy presents for you. Santa's magic only works if you believe.

nanaej Thu 15-Nov-12 21:39:52

My girls and now the DGC enjoyed the Raymond Biggs FC books..such fun!
Life is tough enough so a bit of magic here and there does no harm as far as I am concerned. The kids got stockings with little toys/novelties plus new underwear, socks & toothbrush but nothing huge. A bigger gift was under the tree and was labelled from Mummy & Daddy. Tried not to raise expectations too much.

wisewoman Thu 15-Nov-12 21:34:05

And he is getting his outfit and sack aired ready for the Toddlers' Christmas party! He is very real and quite cuddly.