Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Looking for gift ideas for my two daughter in laws but am on a budget

(21 Posts)
CHEELU Sun 09-Dec-12 19:44:16

I am not starting work til January and so on a bit of a budget for Christmas. I have my Grandson's present organized but need to buy something for my two daughter in laws on a budget. Just looking for a few ideas rally.

Greatnan Sun 09-Dec-12 19:47:16

Hard to help when we don't know anything about your daughters-in-law. Are they artistic, domesticated, readers, sporty, musical....................

CHEELU Sun 09-Dec-12 19:50:24

well one quite like fashion and the other is a bit of a Hippie

glammanana Sun 09-Dec-12 20:03:35

You could get lovely dressing gowns from Primark for both of them,a nice girly pink one for the one who likes fashion and one with the bunny ears for the hippie one sure to keep them both warm and stylish,and so reasonable about £10.00 each.

crimson Sun 09-Dec-12 20:15:29

Y'know, I always like gift vouchers because I then have to go to a shop and buy myself something nice. And, when you have young children you always end up buying things for them so to be made to buy something for yourself is a treat.The S.O.'s family always buy me clothes thinking that they know what I like but I never wear them sad. Maybe the hippie one would like something from Acessorize [one of my favourite shops] and the fashion one Next?

merlotgran Sun 09-Dec-12 20:44:59

Scented candles are usually a good bet. There are fragrances to suit fashionistas and hippies.

JAB Sun 09-Dec-12 20:47:36

Hi Cheelu, Are you any good at baking? how about making them something , when I was hard up, I used to make relatives gifts and it always went down well, in fact now get asked to make some things now rather than have a gift they don't really want, there are loads of things you could do. I often made marzipan sweets in Christmas shapes, or cakes etc, you could then wrap them in a little scarf lots of different types, the long thin ones are quite popular at the mo. and I have seen some at craft fairs which are very reasonable, and usually cheaper than the shops too. Good Luck.

nanaej Sun 09-Dec-12 20:52:52

You can usually get gift vouchers at local beauty salons which can contribute to a facial, manicure etc or toiletries..my daughters always appreciate those..also cannot be diverted to kids stuff like Monsoon/Accessorise or Next vouchers can!

Ana Sun 09-Dec-12 21:03:38

Good thinking, nanaej - a salon voucher sounds like a good idea for many Ds and DILs.

Gagagran Sun 09-Dec-12 21:05:10

Cheelu have you got a 99p or Pound shop nearby? They have some great things in occasionally or TKMaxx if funds are a little more flush. I also like to check out the charity shops - again if you are lucky you can find some fantastic bargains.

If you are really skint could you give them an IOU for services - eg babysitting, making them something to eat or wear, making a flower arrangement or Christmas decoration.

It's hard to know what your budget and skills are and what your DiLs would appreciate but hope your thinking cap is now firmly on! Good luck! smile

Notsogrand Sun 09-Dec-12 22:51:47

Beautiful hand made soaps from here..
www.oldapothecary.co.uk/
Their soap slices are only ‚£2.00 each, in the most glorious fragrances that last and last. If you prefer not to order online, you can phone the shop and order. The shop owner's daughters make the soap slices. I've bought them as presents but re-order for myself as they're so gorgeous.

(Can't delete the A in front of £2.00, it insists upon staying put!)

Notsogrand Sun 09-Dec-12 22:52:33

Eh???? What's with all the AAs?

Ana Sun 09-Dec-12 22:54:22

[fgremlins]!

CHEELU Sun 09-Dec-12 23:10:36

Wow that's amazing so many ideas-- I haven't had to think budget for a while so my mind was quite closed Thank you for opening all those doors. I don't feel so stressed now because all those ideas are quite good, Thanks folks, I feel lucky to have this back up in my life x x

Granny23 Sun 09-Dec-12 23:12:30

Not sure that a voucher is a good idea as it shows up exactly what you have spent. I am afraid you will have to give us some idea of your 'budget' if we are to make suggestions - e.g. MY budget would never stretch to Next but yours might. smile

vampirequeen Mon 10-Dec-12 06:05:43

One year I made up a Christmas hamper for my girls. Put in bought things like Jaffa Cakes and cheese but mainly put in home made food they remembered from childhood Christmas'. They were so excited as they went through their hamper finding foods they had almost forgotten about.

flowerfriend Mon 10-Dec-12 09:02:57

One of my DiLs is into painting wooden furniture and so I have found a second-hand Ercol chair for her and a book on more creative painting of furniture. Both found in a charity outlet. Not a lot of money but some effort needed. Will also give her something small and personal like a handmade piece of jewellry from a local craft fair.

We have lots of Christmas fairs and they are the source of very individual and not too expensive bits and pieces.

My other DiL and DS often give little bags of small but well-thought out gifts. It truly is the thought that is put into the present that is most warming to the heart.

annodomini Mon 10-Dec-12 09:14:38

I have found some very interesting pieces of jewellery on Ebay. There's a site that sells pendants and earrings made from dichroic glass, all different and in a multitude of colours. Depends on the taste of the recipient, of course. And they are much cheaper than they look.

shysal Mon 10-Dec-12 13:29:56

This year I have bought several pairs of touch-screen gloves for adults and children as stocking fillers. The tips of the fingers contain a conductive material, making it easy to use a smart phone when out in the cold. They are available on ebay for under ‚£2 including P&P. Some sellers, including Amazon offer express delivery to be sure of receipt before Christmas, but of course this will cost more.
Any tips on how to avoid the appearance of that symbol before the £ sign?
An extra one has pops up every time I try to delete and preview it!

shysal Mon 10-Dec-12 13:33:12

Even more have appeared now I have posted!!! confused

gillybob Mon 10-Dec-12 14:02:25

I would get a nice basket (that can be re-used for tolieteries etc.) and fill it with a few nice things like candles, pretty briefs, bubble bath, lipgloss, socks, diary etc all of which you can pick up quite cheaply . If you wrap each little thing seperately then it makes it fun and interesting to open .

I have bought my daughter and DIL woollen leg warmers from M&S I know they will love them and only £10 .