Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Do you wear your heart on your sleeve

(24 Posts)
cheelu Thu 10-Jan-13 13:12:33

Is it ok to wear your heart on your sleeve or not--I do tend to be like that and wondered what you felt the negatives and positives were--really interested in your views....

Barrow Thu 10-Jan-13 13:19:40

I tend to keep my feelings hidden, don't confide in people easily. It was the way I was brought up I suppose, to use an awful American phrase "to suck it up".

Whenever anyone asks me how things are going I always say fine, no problems, but most nights I have a little cry. (The only reason I can reveal that here is because its, almost, anonymous).

Ella46 Thu 10-Jan-13 13:24:10

Oh Barrow ((((hugs)))) I feel for you flowers

Ella46 Thu 10-Jan-13 13:26:55

I don't keep things to myself, I'm very open. (I can keep secrets though)
However, over the years I have learnt (learned?) to keep a poker face when necessary.

glammanana Thu 10-Jan-13 13:28:14

Love and ((hugs)) coming your way Barrow a nice brew and a cupcake

glassortwo Thu 10-Jan-13 13:29:10

Barrow {{{hugs}}}
I tend to keep things to myself and I am very selective who I spill to.

Movedalot Thu 10-Jan-13 13:51:06

It depends who I am with and how serious the issue with. I don't think I hide anything from DH but am selective with others.

Barrow I think we all tend to say that except to our closest people. I hope your little evening cry helps a bit. Big hugs.

janeainsworth Thu 10-Jan-13 13:56:04

Barrow {{hugs}}
I hope this year things get gradually better for you.

kittylester Thu 10-Jan-13 14:56:46

(((hugs))) Barrow brew

I'm like you too, mostly! I tend not to say anything then either explode or dissolve.

Barrow Thu 10-Jan-13 17:40:15

Many thanks for all your kind thoughts and wishes. I didn't mean to come across as being so wimpy, its just that today seems to have been a bad day.

Movedalot Thu 10-Jan-13 17:50:21

Not wimpy at all.

Grannyknot Thu 10-Jan-13 17:51:50

Barrow ... big hug. This thread made me nostalgic for this tune https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLXtCtpeVDU

Grannyeggs Thu 10-Jan-13 18:39:21

Barrow (((hugs)))
I 'm a heart on my sleeve person, I would love not to be, but am afraid I seem to let it all spill out.hmm

Oldgreymare Thu 10-Jan-13 18:41:15

Barrow... I don't think the gloomy weather helps (exaggerates sad feelings for me anyway) so here's some sunshine

cheelu Thu 10-Jan-13 22:12:08

Oh Barrow, well we are all different, I think you are brave, and being brave is good , we need to be brave in life. IMHO it would be ok to have a little moan and get things off your chest in the company of good friends that will want to help you and not judge you x x x

cheelu Thu 10-Jan-13 22:22:05

I'm like you grannyknot I dont think I could keep it in if I tried, I think it would actually do me harm to keep it in, to me its healthy to let it out, my poor husband has to sit there and listen to me let it all out sometimes.

Oldgreymare I dont feel sad when its cold and wintery I quite love it, Ilike being all cosy at home, but OH is a bit like that--as soon as he sees the rain he off...

cheelu Thu 10-Jan-13 22:23:37

We need the rain to make the grass green and keep the streets clean x

Nanado Thu 10-Jan-13 22:57:54

barrow flowers I've always been told that I'm strong and I was asked once 'be strong for us Mum, we need you to stay strong'. So bad, sad and worse feelings are kept under wraps. It's hard to be like the all the time, so like you barrow I only cry when I'm alone.
But I do wear my heart on my sleeve for my grandchildren. I can't help but show my feelings for them when they are around sunshine
And I often show my feelings on these forums smile

grannyactivist Thu 10-Jan-13 23:03:15

No, I don't wear my heart on my sleeve, but I do open up to my husband, mother in law and a few very close friends - although, in all honesty, they know me too well for me to try to hide things from them.

Sel Thu 10-Jan-13 23:11:24

Sorry to hear that Barrow and you don't sound at all wimpy, quite the reverse. It's probably a safety valve for you. It's an interesting question cheerlu I think I shy away from potentially upsetting things, can't watch sad films without weeping buckets and being upset for days so I keep away. Can be very stoical otherwise though.

JAB Thu 10-Jan-13 23:52:51

Barrow thats not being wimpy to my mind you are very brave flowersGood question Cheelu I'm the wimpy one and wear my heart on my sleeve, I cry far too easily, but when things are serious I am the one who copes in an emergency, but you should see me after things are sorted, and I'm home and settled I then crack up, have a good cry then get on with things again. Good job we are all different if we all broke down at the same time it would cause chaos.

glassortwo Fri 11-Jan-13 11:44:43

JAB your right just as well we all cry at different times or we would need another Noah's ark smile

jeni Fri 11-Jan-13 11:53:19

I cry very easily
You couldn't read the page in my copy of little women where Beth died, I'd cried so much over it!
I haven't thought of that for years!
My late DH always used to laugh at me when I cried in films, either sad or happy!

glassortwo Fri 11-Jan-13 12:03:50

I cry easily at films and hearing of sad things. I can fill up over stupid little things.
Its only personal things that I hold close and sometimes even those close to me have no idea what a state I am in inside, but when I let go its hard to stop.