Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Grey Hair

(8 Posts)
Nelliemoser Tue 15-Jan-13 16:47:24

My hair was originally a very blue black. It still has a good percentage of black hair with the white quite well interspersed but slighty more (white or grey) at the front.
On some poor advice I was dyeing it but it never looked right. If I dyed it completely black again it looked wrong. Taking it to a dark brown didn't help either. Since all the old colour grew out I think it looks much better than when dyed. So I am going black and white gracefully.

Ella46 Tue 15-Jan-13 14:55:49

I haven't had my blonde highlights done for a year and it doesn't look any different.
My hair at the front is growing out snow white and it looks quite good.
Not having it highlighted is saving me £110 a year so I'm very happy!

Movedalot Tue 15-Jan-13 13:52:05

I agree with Flick I have one grey chunk on the side of my head and a mixture everywhere else. Hairdresser said I am 30% grey so I'll carry on colouring for the time being. I am naturally a very dark brown but do colour it lighter these days. When I came back from holiday I was blonde/ginger from the sun!

jeni Tue 15-Jan-13 13:40:56

I think you would call mine white. I rather like it. Most people say its a lovely colour? Why should I dye?

FlicketyB Tue 15-Jan-13 13:30:27

I think it depends how you grow grey. One friend has gone elegantly iron grey with grey hair distributed evenly throughout her hair. Mine is growing grey by giving me a halo of white hair round my face but still my original dark colour elsewhere. Not a particularly attractive look. So I dye my hair. It only needs doing every two or three months so it is no hassle.

Why are we so po-faced about older women dyeing their hair. Younger people think nothing of it. DD has been her natural dark brown, blonde (did NOT suit her), bright pink and a mixture of several. I saw a photograph of the writee Edna O'Brian, aged 80, recently with flame red hair. It looked fabulous.

I have always liked the colour of my hair so want to stick with it as long as I can but once it goes really light grey or white I intend to dye it pink, or red, or purple, not green, it doesn't suit me.

Grannyeggs Tue 15-Jan-13 13:06:19

Well done you two, I have thought about it but I still hang on to my vanity. My hair is very patchy underneath the ash blonde, but when it is more uniformly grey, or white I will think again.

tanith Tue 15-Jan-13 13:00:14

I used hair dye/bleach for about 30yrs cheelu with no ill effects but finally freed myself about 6yrs ago and have been happily grey ever since. I love not having to retouch the roots or redye every month or so it was the best thing I've done in years.. now everyone compliments me on how nice and healthy/shiny it looks... Lots of women think that grey is very aging but my age shows in my face already so having grey/white hair doesn't really make a difference.

cheelu Tue 15-Jan-13 12:40:42

It is finally happening but I do not have a problem with it I am quite proud really as I feel I have earned the grey, and it looks quite nice, But if I were to colour my hair I would be sooo scared to use hair dye because of all the horrible stories you read about it causing reactions. I would need to try and find a completly organic hair dye.......