Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Sayings

(111 Posts)
cheelu Thu 17-Jan-13 19:13:12

My Nans favorite saying was..Everything has its own importance.

I love sayings--I think its because they are a form of guidance and I need all the guidance I can get..

cheelu Thu 17-Jan-13 21:25:17

Just had a chat with my eldest sister about your beef with me... she is a Psychologist and she was saying that people usually act the way you are when they feel threatened by a person or situation--but why would you feel threatened by me.....

Nanado Thu 17-Jan-13 21:29:26

OK let's all chill please. I think what has started out in all innocence has ended up somewhere no one wanted it to.

jeni Thu 17-Jan-13 21:29:32

Cool it folks! Cheelu don't be so touchy. ariadne was in no way being a bully stop being so touchy!

cheelu Thu 17-Jan-13 21:31:13

Please take a look at her recent threads,

cheelu Thu 17-Jan-13 21:33:33

why is she not coming forward come on A you seem to have loads of negative things to say about me I am giving you the opportunity to say what the problem is or do you prefer to just say little snidey things instead

cheelu Thu 17-Jan-13 21:50:46

jeni before passing judgment on me and saying I am beeing touchy please take the time to read her posts and I am more than willing for you to prove me wrong

cheelu Thu 17-Jan-13 22:00:35

I am upset that she has a problem with me but there are some brilliant people on here and if her snide remarks were meant to drive me away---She must not know about me.....

annodomini Thu 17-Jan-13 22:03:10

I was the one who started the chain of comments about meaningless 'sayings' - Ariadne made one comment on this thread and questioned the use of the word 'nice'. This cannot possibly be construed as bullying behaviour. I feel sure that if she had been on line at the moment, Ariadne would happily answer your concerns, cheelu.

cheelu Thu 17-Jan-13 22:06:54

As said please read her recent posts--not just on this one-- A little bird has told me of a clique on here I dont wish to be part of as we shoild all be equally welcome on here

cheelu Thu 17-Jan-13 22:08:10

anno why are you taking sides

cheelu Thu 17-Jan-13 22:22:56

just told my husband about the nonsense going on, on here, he was worried for me, which was nice..so to end this thread ironically with a Maltese saying---Out of something bad, something good usually comes....

Ella46 Thu 17-Jan-13 22:24:54

Anno does not take sides.

annodomini Thu 17-Jan-13 22:26:43

I am being objective.

Ariadne Thu 17-Jan-13 22:29:39

Oh goodness, I am sorry that you feel that way. I have no intention of bullying you, but may have been somewhat acerbic. Best if I maintain a distance to avoid further misapprehensions, cheelu.

Nelliemoser Thu 17-Jan-13 22:31:10

nanado I could speculate it is something to do with name but if it is, its very vulgar.

Ariadne Thu 17-Jan-13 22:31:40

I had only just come on line and only read the last couple of remarks. My earlier comments stand sad

cheelu Thu 17-Jan-13 22:36:28

As do mine sad!!!

gracesmum Thu 17-Jan-13 22:36:58

Lost me there, nelliemoser.
Actually - pedants' alert - I think one saying often misreported should in fact be "Cheap at twice the price", but like other sayings it is used so often that it hs morphed into its opposite - perhaps ironically? I am particularly fond of "mony a mickle maks a muckle" as it very true as is "great oaks from little acorns grow"

Words of wisdom - who can say they are not meaningful?

cheelu Thu 17-Jan-13 22:38:28

I am a great believer of--a bit of your own medicine so please do ecpect to be trated as you have treated me..

Nelliemoser Thu 17-Jan-13 22:38:49

nanado re "What does 'queer as Dick's hatband' mean?"
my post below was meant to read. something to do with the name.

Why do all my post end up hours behind the ones I am trying to comment on!

annodomini Thu 17-Jan-13 22:41:32

There, there, Nellie dear!

cheelu Thu 17-Jan-13 22:45:37

Message deleted by Gransnetfor breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Nanado Thu 17-Jan-13 22:46:19

Just keep taking the pills nelliem they'll kick in eventually grin
Good for you cheelu wine

Nelliemoser Thu 17-Jan-13 23:08:52

I was brought up proper and don't know about vulgar sayings! (Well I had never heard that one before!)

Before I get further mocked, or corrupted by those on Gransnet with impure minds, I shall go to bed in a huff and dream my pure and innocent dreams.

xx grin wink Night all moon

susieb755 Thu 17-Jan-13 23:11:04

My Granny used to say Kiss my ass Kilmarnock, tomorrows market day ...
what was that all about I wonder !