Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

The Best Supermarket to shop at

(85 Posts)
cheelu Mon 21-Jan-13 13:06:48

I have found that Sainsbury's food is much fresher and defently tastier that any other Supermarket I have used. I think the worse in terms of freshness has to be Asda. Obviously Marks and Soencers food is amazing but I find that I can not do a proper full weekly shop in M&S

What have you found guys.

celebgran Mon 21-Jan-13 18:41:07

forgot to say yes Marks stuff is usually yummy!
And Ana Asda are very polite indeed because they are Wal Mart
American company who are very hot on service.

celebgran Mon 21-Jan-13 18:40:01

whoa hey boring supermarket food shop, we use Morrisons mainly but do like to go Asda, like their fish, and like to look at George!

I not very keen on Sainsuburys - we have go there when OH GETS his nectar vouchers - and I struggle with small one near us due to their sell by dates very low and general over pricing etc not really sure their stuff any better than Morrison, but we do have 2 large Morrisons in Clacton.

Wehave largest Sainsburys in country at Colchester yawn yawn cos I find it very hard work and mainly non food stuff takes up most space, we dont go there often enough for me to have clue where find stuff!!
very pricey too. they do this price match thing hmmmm too much hassle.
We have coop and Iceland 5 mins walk away, get Milk and free range eggs from Iceland and bits and bobs from coop when no time or bad weather!!

annodomini Mon 21-Jan-13 18:39:45

No it wasn't plebs - I personally don't think that's really so insulting. I'm sure most of my ancestors were decidedly plebeian. Depends who says it and how it's said.

Ana Mon 21-Jan-13 18:23:00

Oh no! It wasn't...'plebs' was it? shock

nanaej Mon 21-Jan-13 18:21:12

Trueanno grin

annodomini Mon 21-Jan-13 18:19:59

It's a good job merlot used 'riff-raff' instead of the word used in the original quotation. grin

nanaej Mon 21-Jan-13 18:08:38

Ooh! Cheelu that's a bit harsh! merlot did not say she condoned SFs remarks on QI!

I laughed when I heard it said on the TV programme and was not insulted then nor am I now!

merlotgran Mon 21-Jan-13 18:07:35

I use Sainsbury's and I had no intention of insulting anyone, cheelu. I was just pointing out what Stephen Fry had said (as a joke on QI) and as phoenix has pointed out, it was probably a quote originally made by the late Alan Coren aimed at people with a sense of humour.

Ana Mon 21-Jan-13 18:06:30

There isn't a Sainsbury's within 50 miles of me, so I can't comment!

I do prefer Asda to Tesco as in this area at least the staff are more friendly and polite. M&S is always too crowded and the Co-op too expensive...

cheelu Mon 21-Jan-13 18:02:17

well merlotgran seeings as most of us have said we use Sainsburys you have just insulted us ALL!! Well you used Stephen Fry to do so...Everyone was polite and ignored it but you know me!!

nanaej Mon 21-Jan-13 17:18:18

My nearest supermarket (2 minutes walk) is a small local co-op which always has good (but limited) fresh fruit/veg & meat. I use it all the time for 'top-ups'!

We have a Sainsbury's and Waitrose in town which are about 5mins in the car or 15-20 minutes walking. If I need petrol I go to Sainsbury if not then Waitrose. I miss Lidl since I left work as it was opposite..great , good quality bargains!

Do a bi-monthly on-line for regular store cupboard stuff from Sainsbury, usually buy meat /fish from local butcher/fish shop and also use the local greengrocer especially for bulk stuff for batch cooking as always more economical.

I really must buy my second freezer! Since we moved I have less freezer space so I plan to get one for the shed.. wonder if they do one with an integral wine chiller?

annodomini Mon 21-Jan-13 16:21:34

BAnanas grin

BAnanas Mon 21-Jan-13 16:05:02

What a gaffe! I meant Justin King, my husband's always rabbiting on about golf you see, I got my Justins muddled.

Movedalot Mon 21-Jan-13 16:03:33

Where we used to live our nearest option was Sainsburys and it was awful but I think it was just that store. This miss labelled things, often ran out of stock of several things I wanted and there were always long queus at the chekcout.

We only have Waitrose and Morrisons apart from a small M & S, small Lidl and the Co-op which is really not very good. Someone mentioned the bargains in Waitrose and I think they reduce by a greater percentage than the others so can get great bargains They also do lovely sushi!

I went to Asda when I was staying with my niece and it was very good quality, I was quite impressed.

I do think it depends to quite a large extent on how good the individual manager is.

annodomini Mon 21-Jan-13 15:56:22

Justin Rose, the golfer?

BAnanas Mon 21-Jan-13 15:52:14

I flit between Waitrose, Sainsbury and M&S, depending on what's on offer. Hope all GNs who shop at M&S are aware of the vouchers that they give away in January, £5 off and £25 shop, which I think is quite a good discount so I have been taking full advantage and stocking up on their frozen fish and fresh chicken and meat which I also freeze. I love Waitrose and if I could only shop at one supermarket it would have to be there. In fact we both say if we ever moved we wouldn't go to a town without a Waitrose. However, Sainsburys is very good for special offers and the sheer range of products, and have found their staff have improved a lot over the last few years, maybe we have Justin Rose to thank for that.

Lilygran Mon 21-Jan-13 15:41:55

We may be unlucky but the nearest Lidl doesn't have much stock. And some of it is strange, like lobsters for a fiver or electric drills. The nearest Co-op is fine and the nearest Tesco is er... Tesco. I go to them all as and when but I prefer Waitrose because rather than two fitments of the same five detergents in different formats and sizes and ditto breakfast cereal they have a really wide range including the rather esoteric ingredients the adventurous cook (DH) needs. And the quality is good and reliable. And a nice cafe. And a pharmacy. And a big car park.

Anne58 Mon 21-Jan-13 15:28:25

I think Stephen Fry stole that remark from the late Alan Coren!

Ariadne Mon 21-Jan-13 15:11:27

gillybob especially when they sell clothes and stuff as well! grin

merlotgran Mon 21-Jan-13 14:46:56

Stephen Fry said on QI, 'Sainsbury's keeps the riff-raff out of Waitrose and Tesco keeps the riff-raff out of Sainsbury's! He used a stronger word than riff-raff but it might come across as offensive on here.

vampirequeen Mon 21-Jan-13 14:46:50

I use ASDA for my main shop and haven't found a problem with their day to day quality but that may be because we have ASDA, TESCO, Sainsburys, Morrisons, LIDL and ALDI within a 2 mile radius. The number of stores definately seem to affect the prices in the area.

I use my local Coop and small shops for top ups and treats.

annodomini Mon 21-Jan-13 14:39:37

Like Grannyknot and for the same reasons, I mainly shop at Waitrose nowadays - five minutes down the road, close to the surgery, the library and the chemist etc. I have several loaves in the freezer bought at under half price when they reached the 'display by' date. Keeping an eagle eye open for such bargains, I can justify shopping at Waitrose. There's an Asda down the road but I don't like the 'feel'of the place and yes, I know that's illogical. I can visit Aldi on my way back from CAB and Lidl when I go to the health club.

glammanana Mon 21-Jan-13 14:12:55

Sainsburys for the main shop and Lidl or Aldi for all the fresh veg and fruit never had such fresh f&v.
I have been known to get some basic's from Home & Bargain as their sauces & dried goods etc are excellent value for money.

gillybob Mon 21-Jan-13 14:07:52

That's the problem Ariadne. I am hopeless at writing myself a shopping list and sticking to it. I am calling into the supermarket on my way to pick children up from school this afternoon. I have a list but I absolutely know I will come out with more than I went in for !

Grannylin Mon 21-Jan-13 14:04:26

Morrisons because it's the nearest and I don't like being bamboozled with too much choice. Riverford for fresh veg, meat and fish and I can walk there smile