Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

My daughter-in-law is a horrible person

(86 Posts)
Grma32 Wed 20-Mar-13 15:46:43

Hi,
My son married his wife a year ago, and about 6 months ago they moved to another state because of his military status. They have an absolutely adorable little girl that is my first grand-child, and she is almost 1 year old. When they lived here it was difficult to get to spend time with her, because my daughter-in-law doesn't like me for some reason. I am a devout Christian, and she is an atheist, so that could have something to do with it. But I have never judged her or thrown religion in her face. Ever. I have bought her things, given her things, paid her compliments, pretty much everything to try and and win her over. She and I have spent a little bit of time together, and things seem to go fine, but then she will do or say something on Facebook that is just cold and calculated towards me. My son tells me she is bi-polar, so I'm trying to keep that in mind, but it's really difficult.

Recently when my son went into the field on maneuvers and was to be gone for nearly a month, my DIL decided to take a trip. She emailed me and told me she was "going to do some traveling" while he's gone and visit friends and family. I didn't ask where, and she didn't offer anymore information. I got an email from her last week saying she decided to drive straight to her parents house (which is 30 minutes from my house), but that she would be really busy for a couple of weeks, so I wouldn't be able to see my grand-daughter. I was extremely disappointed. A few days later I emailed her to see if we could have lunch or dinner, and also if I could pick up my grand-daughter for a few hours on Saturday. She emailed back and said she would be busy for the next couple of weeks and she has absolutely NO weekends free while she is here. I emailed her back and asked her if I'd done something to make her mad at me (mainly because her response sounded a bit hostile). Her email response to me was 'wow'. The next day I received a long, hateful email from her, telling me that I am verbally abusive, condescending, etc., etc. and the only time that she and her husband have fights is when it involves HIS family. She said that she wasn't even going to tell me she was in town, because she knew I would "harass" her to see my grand-child. She also stated that she is tired of me 'judging' her, and tired of always having to consider my feelings when she says or does anything. I'm not sure where she's coming up with this stuff, because I have been overly nice to her. The one time that she and I had an intense conversation many months ago via email, she went crying to my son and he called and cussed me out and made me cry and didn't speak to me for weeks. I realized that just because she is honest with her feelings in an email, I can't be honest right back because of the consequences. (I forwarded the email string to my son so he could see that I said NOTHING wrong, and he agreed but never apologized for cussing me out)

Anyway, I have decided to step back and stay silent, because she obviously doesn't want me in their lives at all. My grand-daughter's first birthday party is in a couple of weeks, and my son is supposed to be flying in for that. I was planning to attend, but now I am considering not. I don't know what to do, because I don't want my son to be upset with me, either.

Galen Fri 29-Aug-14 16:06:41

15 times?

Grangie Fri 29-Aug-14 15:41:52

I am sorry to re-activate this thread, but I need help.
I have 3 sons. My husband and I have great relationships with the eldest and the youngest, both are married with two children each. We love and get on very well with the DILs and the grandchildren.
The middle son (MS) is married for the second time. He has one son by the first wife. The first wife was very difficult and so is the second. We invite them, they don't reply, they don't initiate any get togethers with any of us or the extended family who have been very good to them, showing great hospitality which is never reciprocated. It is constantly 'walking on eggshells' with them. Over the years they email to us telling us how awful we are. We have friends in many countries and we try to get on well with everyone. I am tired of the abuse and believe that whatever we try to do, they will be the same.
Please reply if you have had similar problems and have any understanding of this awful situation.

Grangie Fri 29-Aug-14 15:40:33

I have 3 sons. My husband and I have great relationships with the eldest and the youngest, both are married with two children each. We love and get on very well with the DILs and the grandchildren.
The middle son (MS) is married for the second time. He has one son by the first wife. The first wife was very difficult and so is the second. We invite them, they don't reply, they don't initiate any get togethers with any of us or the extended family who have been very good to them, showing great hospitality which is never reciprocated. It is constantly 'walking on eggshells' with them. Over the years they email to us telling us how awful we are. We have friends in many countries and we try to get on well with everyone. I am tired of the abuse and believe that whatever we try to do, they will be the same.
Please reply if you have had similar problems and have any understanding of this awful situation.

Grangie Fri 29-Aug-14 15:40:32

Nonu Tue 07-May-13 09:41:18

Des. ha ha

deserving Tue 07-May-13 09:20:50

As Woody Allen said,"we split up because of religious differences, I was an atheist and she was an agnostic".

granjura Mon 06-May-13 22:03:41

I really feel for you- it is not easy, I know. But I must say I would never discuss any such issues on an open Forum - just in case anyone put 2 and 2 together- which could have disastrous results. Bonne chance.

NewNana666 Mon 06-May-13 14:15:57

Thank you for pointing out my error granny activist smile

dragonflysteve Tue 30-Apr-13 23:49:44

Somebody give me a clue when you have a similar problem with YOUR OWN Daughter.

jeanie99 Sun 28-Apr-13 11:42:36

This is a very sad situation and if you have tried to make friends with your dil and there was no response there is little you can do.

None of us can get inside someone elses head, something you say which you think is ok they could think is a nasty statement, human being are so complicated.

The only person who can sort this out is your son and don't forget he could also have problems in his relationship with her which you are unaware of, and this will all seem yet another problem for him to cope with.

As for your grand daughter, just go along to their home when you are invited.
If you don't get invited keep in touch with your son by whatever means and continue to send your granddaughter presents and cards.
When the girl is older and can understand what is happening she'll know you have always been there in her life even if you don't see her very often.
Unfortunately grandparent have no rights when if comes to grandchildren.
Best of luck

cornishsue Sat 27-Apr-13 04:04:25

My heart goes out to anyone who cannot see their beloved grandchildren as much as they would like...

BUT I have to say as I read this thread I had come to a similiar conclusion as cjel about the points she mentioned. Some of the OP's remarks came across in print as rather sarcastic (although she may have not meant it that way) and I wondered if her DIL picked that up. I have to say although I understand her need to 'prove' she was right by sending the emails to her son, that would be something my children would have done when they were young and certainly not as adults. Maybe her DIL got to hear of that?

I also do not understand how the OP's DH could possibly decide not to see his granddaughter, no matter how awkward or difficult the situation with the DS/DIL may be. It is really sad that is what he has decided. I wonder if that causes ill feeling with their DS/DIL? I think I would feel annoyed should one of my parents/in laws refused to visit their grandchildren (even if I had behaved badly to cause the rift).

I would also advise the OP to keep in contact and not wait to be contacted herself - that does not have to be direct to her DIL, but maybe send a card or little gift to her granddaughter every so often. Or send a message to her DIL just asking pleasantly how things are? I sincerely hope the OP can keep in regular contact with her granddaughter, and her DH reconsiders, for both of their sakes. I wish her good luck.

cjel Fri 26-Apr-13 23:59:12

I have just quickly read this post and there is so much in it that makes me think you could be a mil from hell. You say things like she has been telling lies and filling peoples heads to turn them against you? are you that self centred that you really think she is bothering talking about you when she has a baby and ahusband serving in the military. You copy him in on emails to 'prove' you r sid of the story are you 10? You respond to your son about having 2 meals with her parents by saying 2 nights in a row, you count the days she hasn't rang you so you can visit your dgd, you don't join in the fun at the lunch by deliberatley not laughing when she is trying to be friendly and wonder why they don't want your company. and make a big show of how you made funny faces at your grandaughter, you say she is 'running to your son about you' he is her husband and you sound very divisive as if she is horridna nd your son is perfect and being manipulated. YOur husband doesn't want to join you on a meal out, thats just wha I remember. I think you sounsd a nightmare to be honest and that would be even before the poor girl has a baby serving husband and bi polar to content with. No where you say about offering her support only what 'rights' you have. I don't know what on earth christian or not has to do with it or how many friends you have. YOur son loves this woman and has chosen her for his wife, if you don't like her thats fair enough but don't try to make out your are perfect and she is horrid.

grannyactivist Fri 26-Apr-13 23:14:48

NewNana666 - welcome to Gransnet. smile
Perhaps being new you read the original post and then responded without realising that the posts inbetween give further information. Grma32 DID go to the party and is trying to think of constructive ways to move forward.