Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Red Krill Oil

(71 Posts)
cathy Sat 27-Apr-13 08:06:47

Apparently its designed to help heart eye and brain function, saw it advertised on TV last night by Carol Vorderman,

Does anyone have any knowledge or experience of this product, thanks

Orca Mon 29-Apr-13 07:36:09

Frank good on you mate.

HUNTERF Mon 29-Apr-13 07:25:53

Nothing wrong with finding Shakespeare boring.
I have got a 2.1 degree in Business Studies.
I got grade 6 ''O'' Level English Language on the third attempt.
I find Shakespeare boring.

Frank

Orca Mon 29-Apr-13 06:30:20

Carol Voderman graduated from Cambridge at 20 and I think she had quite a hard time growing up, both financially and in a one-parent family.

JessM Mon 29-Apr-13 06:16:30

I agree greatnan the same thought had occurred to me re MP. This does not count as a graceful retirement from showbiz in my book.

Greatnan Mon 29-Apr-13 05:57:28

I find it odd that people like Michael Parkinson should want to endorse the Over 50's insurance schemes, which give very poor value. Surely he can't need the money - perhaps he just can't stand not to have his face on TV?
The danger with Vordeman is that some people will be naive enough to think that she actually knows about finance when she endorses some loan company.

Eloethan Sun 28-Apr-13 23:55:12

I have very little respect for "celebrities" that endorse various products and services - and I would actively avoid anything they advertise.

It's now becoming common for various celebrities to go on chat shows and start name dropping the products they are paid to endorse - Patsy Kensit recently did this for Slimming World and I believe Danni Minogue did the same for another product.

Florence56 Sun 28-Apr-13 16:14:51

Krill - best left for those who depend upon it I think - the whales etc etc. Our bodies are clever things and designed to function perfectly well as long as we give it a good old fashioned mix diet. That is plenty of foodstuffs thats not been 'mucked about' too much. I once read a rather stuffy old book on the chemistry of the body and it works amazingly well as long as we don't poison it with all the chemicals in processed food and other unneccessary things like ciggies and too much alchohol.

JessM Sun 28-Apr-13 00:09:54

most of the krill is used for things like animal feed and fertiliser. hmm We have already done so much harm to the oceans sad but we keep on finding more ways to "harvest" them.

cathy Sat 27-Apr-13 21:21:37

thank you

absent Sat 27-Apr-13 20:07:51

I repeat – if you eat a mixed diet and do not have specific health issues, you don't need supplements. At best, your body will simply excrete them and at worst they will cause harm.

cathy Sat 27-Apr-13 19:38:09

I have learnt alot about Krill now and of course will not support the industry, thank you for letting me know

MrsJamJam Sat 27-Apr-13 19:33:52

There are huge ships hoovering up krill from our oceans, and as the entire ocean food chain depends on them there isnprobably an environmental disaster in the making. Please don't support this very damaging industry.

cathy Sat 27-Apr-13 18:58:22

yesjessM you are right, I really did hope that the claims about the Red Krill Oil were true, I take Vitamin B and it does make a difference.

annodomini Sat 27-Apr-13 14:04:51

Not sure I'd want cheeks like that! It's a safe bet that she has never taken any of the supplements she advertises and I can't imagine that she'd need a debt management company.

JessM Sat 27-Apr-13 14:00:27

Heavily photoedited to say the least. You can't do that, even if you do spend all your ill gotten gains on surgery!

absent Sat 27-Apr-13 13:46:18

annodomini That is a most extraordinary picture of CV. She looks as if she's got cheeks like a hamster.

annodomini Sat 27-Apr-13 13:09:05

Vorderman is :"... a strong brand ambassador and has once again provided her endorsement of the Sambucol range. AdConnection's media strategy is spot on for our target – reaching them in the right places at the right time."

So now we know what a 'brand ambassador' is!

www.marketingmagazine.co.uk/article/1104905/Carol-Vorderman-fronts-Sambucol-marketing-drive

JessM Sat 27-Apr-13 12:51:57

oh must be good if "dr oz" is promoting it. Rush out and buy some now.

feetlebaum Sat 27-Apr-13 12:32:47

Another red light on Krill Oil - Doctor Oz, the American TV quack is promoting it...

Re Vorderman - nice shape...

Greatnan Sat 27-Apr-13 12:06:36

I use natural yoghurts in soups as well. I like the Greek-style, rather than the very runny. At the moment, I am just going to eat a sliced banana with half and half of natural and lemon yoghurt.

annodomini Sat 27-Apr-13 11:49:17

Natural yoghurt doesn't contain sweeteners and you can add your own fruit. I use bananas, stewed apple and apricots. I sometimes buy a 'bucket' of low fat Greek style yoghurt in Lidl - never the fat-free kind which is tasteless.

Greatnan Sat 27-Apr-13 11:42:51

Blimey, that woman must rattle when she walks, if she takes all the stuff she advertises.
I wonder why she is so greedy - she must be a multi-millionaire.

Greatnan Sat 27-Apr-13 11:40:53

My advice to anybody concerned about their health would be to eat something from all four food groups every day, in small portions if you are concerned about your weight, and to take as much fresh air and exercise as your health will allow.
The 'fad' diets, like Atkins, are dangerous and unbalanced
I have decided that I want my food to be as natural as possible, so a little butter instead of a substitute and as many fresh fruit and vegetables as possible. (Although tinned or frozen food can be very nutritious).

I am trying to find full fat yoghurts but there are none in most of the French supermarkets. I think 'fat free' or 'reduced fat' processed food may well contain sweeteners that I don't want..

annodomini Sat 27-Apr-13 11:33:48

Here's another supplement she's advertised. Ever heard of it?

And another ad - about a debt consolidation company.

JessM Sat 27-Apr-13 11:13:35

Supplement marketing is huge. Look at the words used. They say things like "may support healthy..." or "traditionally used to combat..."
There is an international free for all in making these carefully expressed claims
Show me the advert or packaging that says that proper controlled scientific studies with humans had shown conclusively that...
There was a recent crackdown by the European Food Standards on health claims on food supplements. No more "probiotic" yoghurt for instance.
Claims on supplements are not regulated anything like as strictly.
People buy supplements cathy because they want the claims to be true.