Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Car Seat dilemma

(14 Posts)
TedNRobin Thu 05-Dec-13 06:44:23

I'm not an expert here.. but I would try to helpsmile

So you need an infant car seat for sure.. I think you can go in for Britax B-safe and install it behind the passenger seat.
Are your two grandchildren forward facing? I’m asking this because I know some people FF till 4 years of age even!
You could buy a combination seat for the 3 year old if she's not RFing.. a combination seat would help her because she would in any case be moving to a high-belt booster soon. A good recommendation for that would be Britax Frontier.. If you do not want to spend that much, you could go for Evenflo Maestro or Graco Nautilus. Nautilus and Frontier both have the same width.. but Frontier’s shell is bigger height wise..

The third seat can be a convertible.. Go for Radian or Recaro Pro-Ride because they both are pretty slim and usually work in the 3-car-seats-in-the-back scenario.. If you want to RF the GS.. you can install the convertible in the middle as Radian's/Pro-Ride's tall shell can eat into the driver’s space.

You can check out more details about these cars here:
www.britaxusa.com/car-seats/b-safe
recaropromotion.com/proRide.html
www.britaxusa.com/car-seats/frontier-85

I hope this info helped a little.. You could find more seats that fit your budget while meeting your safety criteria using this site.. www.carseatvs.com/dofind. You can even draw comparisons between two seats on this site..

grannyactivist Thu 08-Aug-13 22:09:41

Thanks for the links Aka - I thought I knew the law regarding car seats and safety measures, but this one is new to me: It is illegal to carry a child in a rear-facing child seat in the front, which is protected by an active frontal airbag: deactivate any front airbags before fitting a rear-facing baby seat in the front seat.
(Never owned a car with passenger airbags.)

absent Thu 08-Aug-13 20:32:35

Caramac Do take care when fitting the car seats. It is very common for them to be fitted incorrectly and, consequently, they are unsafe.

Caramac Thu 08-Aug-13 19:24:42

I ended up at Kiddicare, mainly because they had a sale on.....anyway, the young man there was very helpful, answered all my questions, gave advice which was good for me and not for increased sales. I was very impressed as was other half. I am pleased to say that whilst I only bought the two seats, I am fairly confident a third won't be a problem. Thanks all for you comments : )

Granny23 Tue 23-Jul-13 18:38:08

From first size through to booster seats, we too have found Halfords give an excellent service.

GillieB Tue 23-Jul-13 15:58:46

We found Halfords extremely useful when we bought a car seat for my DGS - have a word with them, too.

Aka Tue 23-Jul-13 11:17:22

I also found this useful as I had the same dilemma until I changed the car
child car seats

Aka Tue 23-Jul-13 11:13:37

Also keep in mind the UK Laws governing children and car seats.
UK Car Seat Laws

Caramac Tue 23-Jul-13 10:57:53

whenim64,

thank you, that sounds ideal

Caramac smile

whenim64 Tue 23-Jul-13 10:38:08

You can if there are three seatbelts, Caramac. My daughter has a CeeMax and she fits twin car seats in, with room for a little one in the middle, if needed.

glassortwo Tue 23-Jul-13 10:33:14

Hi caramac I had intended to say hello, but three children here are nagging to get going. smile

Caramac Tue 23-Jul-13 10:32:01

Hi glassortwo,

thank you, I will try that,

cheers {smile}

glassortwo Tue 23-Jul-13 10:29:31

caramac if you go to a Mothercare store they will try out a selection of seats for you before you purchase.

Caramac Tue 23-Jul-13 10:26:31

Hi All,
I have an 03 Focus estate, two grandchildren aged 2 and 3 , (different Mums) and a 3rd due very soon.
Can I fit 3 baby seats in the back? I will regularly have all 3 grandchildren plus 1 Mum in the car.
I have 2 nania car seats but want to replace them due to negative Which? reviews and so will have the expense of buying all 3 seats at the same time.
Any advice gratefully received.
Caramac : )