Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Books for 6 year old boy

(21 Posts)
kittylester Thu 01-Aug-13 08:19:26

I'm not sure whether we have had a thread suggesting books for DGC but I would be very grateful for some help, as would DD1, for our 6 year old GS.

He is a mature boy and a very capable reader and has 'devoured' all the 'Beast Quest' books. DD is keen to entice him into other genres but is a bit baffled about where to go next.

Any suggestions, please? sunshine

Anne58 Thu 01-Aug-13 08:34:19

Try the Terry Pratchett series of books, not Discworld (yet!) but have a look at a series of 3, they are called Truckers, Diggers and Wings. I can't remember which order they are in though.

glassortwo Thu 01-Aug-13 08:40:06

kitty my 7yr old grandson has been through all the Beast Quests etc and I bought him The Golden Acorn by Catherine Cooper, its a magical adventure about a boy called Jack Brenin, he devoured that and the next two were delivered yesterday, he couldnt wait to get started on the next in the adventures.
The first can be read as a stand alone so we waited to see what he thought before we ordered the next two, but they seem to be going down well.

petra Thu 01-Aug-13 08:41:00

Why don't you take him to the Library. I take my 6yr old with me, and he loves it.

feetlebaum Thu 01-Aug-13 08:45:22

@Phoenix - How about Sir Pterry's Tiffany Aching books?

glassortwo Thu 01-Aug-13 08:54:38

He has just finished Stig of the Dump again, he keeps going back to his old favourites.

kittylester Thu 01-Aug-13 09:07:23

Thanks so much.

DD is a primary teacher and was asking around for suggestions. grin

Petra - this is for a regular trip to the library!

Deedaa Thu 01-Aug-13 15:30:27

My son used to love The Hundred and One Dalmations and read it again and again. I was about that age when I started on Swallows and Amazons.

Tegan Thu 01-Aug-13 16:08:22

My grandson is totally into the Harry Potter books; not to read himself but his mum is reading it to him at night. Possibly a mistake because, as my daughter once said to me 'mum, you read all the best books to me so I never had the chance to read them myself' [you can't win sometimes, can you?].

Wheniwasyourage Thu 01-Aug-13 16:57:53

Have you come across the Mr Gum books by Andy Stansfield (? spelling - can't find one to check)? They have had DGS1 in stitches since he was 6 and the younger GC are starting them now. Mr When has acquired his own copies so that he can always read one to visiting GC. Another favourite with several GC is The Magic Faraway Tree by (ducks behind parapet) Enid Blyton.

susieb755 Thu 01-Aug-13 22:19:34

Mine all loved Roald Dahl at that age, and the good old famous five..nice easy to read fonts

gillybob Fri 02-Aug-13 09:35:40

My grandaughter loves the Roald Dahl books too susieb755 We bought her the whole collection as a box set last Christmas and she has worked her way through them all although The Twits still comes out as her firm favourite. smile

kittylester Fri 02-Aug-13 17:05:07

Thank you all for taking the time to suggest books for Seb! I should have said that he had done the Roald Dahl books too.

He is now trying all the things on his reading list - should keep him quiet for a week or two!!smile

Riverwalk Fri 02-Aug-13 17:22:18

Kittylester did you see the quote from you in The Guardian? grin

wisewoman Fri 02-Aug-13 17:32:36

My six year old grandaughter loves The Magic Faraway Tree! I enjoy reading it to her as well

MrsJamJam Fri 02-Aug-13 18:14:49

My 6 year oldGS is very keen on anything by Jeremy Strong.

kittylester Fri 02-Aug-13 21:25:36

NoRiver I didn't - I hope it was a good one! grin

Cressida Fri 09-Aug-13 19:03:54

My 6 year old grandson loves "The Secrets of Droon" series by Tony Abbott.

Tegan Fri 09-Aug-13 19:16:37

That sounds interesting, Cressida. My grandson is mad about Harry Potter books at the moment..I'll check those books out.

Tegan Sat 14-Dec-13 18:51:38

I've just ordered the first of the Secrets of Droon books but am a bit concerned that Waterstones say they're out of print [we bought it on Amazon]. Worried that he'll love it and we won't be able to buy the others.

penguinpaperback Sat 14-Dec-13 19:47:49

My 6 yr old GS loves to read non fiction over fiction at the moment. Science, nature, lots of the Usborne books. Loves Roald Dahl too.