Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Earphone problems

(14 Posts)
petallus Wed 28-Aug-13 15:51:43

I like to listen to various sleep inducing aps on my ipod in the middle of the night (insomnia) using earphones.

However, I can't seem to find any suitable earphones. I have several of those little plug things but they keep on falling out of my ear. I bought some of the other sort that clamp to the outside of the head and they areuncomfortable, especially when lying on a pillow.

I think I have smallish ears. Can anyone recommend some good earphones?

Anne58 Wed 28-Aug-13 16:14:42

What about the ones that they used to have for hospital radio? Instead of going round the head, they sort of went under the chin?

(Not a very good description!)

LizG Wed 28-Aug-13 16:39:13

Have you tried the sports earphones? They have bits that curl over the tops of the ears. We used to have them on audio machines in the dim and distant. They were very comfortable.

petallus Wed 28-Aug-13 16:44:34

I like the idea of the sports ones.

Remember the under the chin ones from my typing days.

bikergran Wed 28-Aug-13 17:45:10

the best earphones I have are from the £1 shop...! they are great..they are only small and have sort of soft rubber on them..they have them in all colours I bought few pair..they sort of fit right inside the ear and are very comfy smile (although there is no volume control on them but that doesn't matter for me as I have the volume control on my Mp3 player)

petallus Wed 28-Aug-13 18:44:06

Ooh, I like the sound of those. I think I have a £1 shop nearby.

j08 Wed 28-Aug-13 18:59:36

I don't like the ones that go right into the ear. (Earbuds?) I prefer the small flattish round ones that go just inside. My present one's are Apple. But DH still reckons he gets to listen to the World Service too. hmm Never mind. They are comfortable. And they have inline volume control so easy to turn up and down as required.

j08 Wed 28-Aug-13 18:59:50

I don't like the ones that go right into the ear. (Earbuds?) I prefer the small flattish round ones that go just inside. My present one's are Apple. But DH still reckons he gets to listen to the World Service too. hmm Never mind. They are comfortable. And they have inline volume control so easy to turn up and down as required.

j08 Wed 28-Aug-13 19:00:27

Baskets! Why is everything coming out twice! hmm

LizG Wed 28-Aug-13 19:47:57

Yes Petallus you could take the under chin thingy off and clip thr platic bit on to fit just one ear. That was the downside if you were working in a noisy office which with me in it, I was grin

essdee Fri 08-Nov-13 01:37:32

Hi, you should get some "sleep phones" They are effectively a soft headband with flat headphones inside (removable for washing of the band). Google them, and available from Amazon.
Just bought some for DH as he likes an Agatha Christie to get to sleep with, and it annoys me! He say they are the most comfy so far...

jeanie99 Fri 08-Nov-13 21:25:54

I know ex-actually what you mean by them falling out.

When I first had my iPod for music the little monkies kept falling out, I found eventually you have to fiddle around with them turning them in your ear and eventually they stay there it's perseverance.

sara4 Mon 18-Nov-13 14:34:41

I like to listen to story tapes (cassettes) but they are no longer on sale in shops. (For insomnia). Any one know where I can buy new ones?

bikergran Mon 18-Nov-13 15:18:06

sara4 I go in the blind shop in town to buy audio tapes for DH (story tapes Inspector morse/Collin Dexter etc etc ... next time I go which will be soon, I shall ask or look for any such tapes smile or you could try ebay!