Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

3 yr old girl behaving strangely

(21 Posts)
wallers5 Mon 02-Sep-13 11:08:03

Can you help? My grand daughter is lying on the floor rubbing herself on a small ball. Should I try & stop this behaviour or will she grow out of it. I think she is a little bored. Do any of yours behave like this? What happens if she does it somewhere else.

gracesmum Mon 02-Sep-13 11:13:44

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

j08 Mon 02-Sep-13 11:17:14

Agree! What are you kidding about on here for? Find her something interesting to do. Take her out.

And tell her mum she does it. (Not in front of the child. Don't make a big thing about it)

j08 Mon 02-Sep-13 11:18:15

I meant to say "pissing about"

j08 Mon 02-Sep-13 11:18:55

Stupid kindle fire. hmm

whenim64 Mon 02-Sep-13 11:23:10

Children do lots of things that are open to interpretation but this is nothing to be concerned about. Just distract her and play some games, teach her some new nursery rhymes, play outside with her, bake some cookies or a pizza for lunch. When one of my little grandsons became very interested in examining his willie we stuck his new goalie gloves on him and got him practising his saves. That phase passes.

Ariadne Mon 02-Sep-13 11:23:36

She has found that it is pleasurable. Diversionary tactics are needed here!

j08 Mon 02-Sep-13 11:26:59

You will not stop a little feller playing with his willy.

#giveitup

wallers5 Mon 02-Sep-13 11:29:35

Thanks Ariadne & whenim64 - both very helpful. She does lead a full life on a farm but sometimes mother has to do her accounts & 'boring stuff'. She is outside most of the time and Nursery school starts soon, so let's hope it passes.

Penstemmon Mon 02-Sep-13 11:35:14

Nor a little girl playing with her special spot! Once they find it and feel it is pleasurable why stop? It is all normal. Distraction rather than fuss is the answer as others have said. Lots of children have done /do this & are all fine but sometimes need to be encouraged to think about and do something else!

gillybob Mon 02-Sep-13 11:41:25

"When one of my little grandsons became very interested in examining his willie we stuck his new goalie gloves on him and got him practising his saves"

grin whenim64 where there's a will(y) there's a way !

j08 Mon 02-Sep-13 11:42:39

Tiredness doesn't' t help either.

Tbh we do usually say, "leave your willy alone", usually followed in the next breath by, "and stop sucking your thumb!" They are comfort things.

Mishap Mon 02-Sep-13 14:38:22

We always ignore these behaviours as much as possible and let it pass. Dear GS of 22 months does the following - sticks his hands down his Mum's top and asks for a nipple, plays with his willy, sticks his fiunger down his nappy and up his bum. We basically ignore it all and make sure he has other things to do. He will grow out of them - can't see him sitting his GCSE's with his finger up his nethers! Best not to worry and not draw attention to it - and make sure they are not too bored!

You do not say how old this little lass is.

janeainsworth Mon 02-Sep-13 14:44:03

Clue in the thread title Mishap wink
Sorry couldn't resist.
Agree with the advice given so far.

dorsetpennt Mon 02-Sep-13 15:50:44

'As long as they don't do it in the street and frighten the horses' leave them be or distract them if it bothers you. It's all normal behaviour just some children or more overt about it whilst others leave it for bedtime. Don't worry about school as she will be too busy.

Aka Mon 02-Sep-13 16:16:18

A friend's daughter used to do something similar with a cushion and it was rather embarrassing on occasion. Their tactic was to gently tell her to stop and then immediately distract her with other things to do. She stopped by the time she went to school. I hope that puts your mind at rest.

petra Tue 03-Sep-13 15:06:58

It will pass. My DGD has finally stopped showing us her Mini. And I mean ALL of her Mini. She was very proud of it.

Flowerofthewest Sun 08-Sep-13 18:56:48

I used to tell my children that it was a private thing to do and it was ok in their own bedroom but not to 'share' it with other people.Distraction also helps but it is quite quite normal.

MamaCaz Tue 22-Oct-13 16:45:25

I remember having a discussion with the mum of a three-year old many years ago. She and her husband weren't concerned by the daughter's behaviour, seeing it as quite natural, but Grandma saw the girl doing it one day and asked her what on earth she was doing. I wish I had been there to see her face when the little girl replied, "I'm masturbating".

annodomini Tue 22-Oct-13 16:54:40

MamaCaz grin

Flowerofthewest Tue 22-Oct-13 18:28:55

MamaCaz Fantastic grin