Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Raising money for charity your thoughts?

(18 Posts)
Doreenmt Thu 12-Sep-13 00:34:43

Fellow Grans - Feedback much appreciated - Xmas event ideas - would you go?

I plan to hold a series of events in the woods leading up to Christmas

The aim is to raise awareness of the woods and to raise money for a local charity.

Events would be held on Sunday the 15th of December.

Cover/shelter will be provided for the event.

Ideas - Events in the woods at Christmas

Tai Chi
Alternative therapy ie) Crystal therapy
Making Christmas decorations out of natural products
Making Christmas cards
Falconry
Nature Walk and talk

Apart from the nature walk and talk which would be free, we would charge no more than £4.00 for a 'session' apart from crystal therapy which would be at £15 with 50% of all money raised going to the chosen charity.

What do you think?

Would you go? yes/no/why?
Are the following ideas good? - If yes why?
No, not a good idea? - If no why?
Are there any that could be made more appealing? how?

Very basic questions as I appreciate people do not have a lot of time, I would be really grateful of any constructive contributions.

Thank you

Ariadne Thu 12-Sep-13 08:18:34

I have seen woods with things like this happening, and thought it was lovely! There was also a "magic" trail for children, with lights in the trees - a sort of treasure hunt. Good luck! And good luck with the risk assessments etc - not trying to depress you but they are a fact of life.

vampirequeen Thu 12-Sep-13 08:32:31

I think they sound lovely ideas. I would definitely go. I love the idea of Christmas decorations from natural products and the nature walk. If you're local to me I'd definitely come.

MiceElf Thu 12-Sep-13 08:39:13

Sounds good. If I attended an event like this I'd like to see activities like wood turning, and possibly be able to buy products made from recycled wood. Have you any connection with the Woodland Trust?

Lona Thu 12-Sep-13 08:39:36

It's not something I would do, but if I liked the charity I would happily just donate smile
Good luck though.

janeainsworth Thu 12-Sep-13 09:08:46

I'd be turned off by the crystal therapy I'm afraid.

Movedalot Thu 12-Sep-13 09:48:21

I think it might be too cold by then?

Agree that you need things to sell, maybe inexpensive stocking fillers?

Penstemmon Thu 12-Sep-13 10:07:44

I think winter in the woods is lovely..I go on more walks at the local aboretum in autumn and winter than in Summer.

I am not personally a fan of crystal therapy but the other activities sound great, especially if some are designed for children to do. £4 sounds ok..is there discount for mutiples??

petra Thu 12-Sep-13 10:23:36

Wonderful idea. Can you tell us where you are or send a PM.

thatbags Thu 12-Sep-13 10:31:39

I wouldn't go anywhere for crystal therapy, even if it were free. The rest sounds good.

What exactly is the local charity?

Nelliemoser Thu 12-Sep-13 10:49:04

I have some excellent calcite crystals and some garnets in my garden shed. not to mention a wide variety of other mineral samples. Should I start a therapy business? grin

Charleygirl Thu 12-Sep-13 11:11:15

I agree with thatbags

Galen Thu 12-Sep-13 11:20:31

Agree with Bags

Gally Thu 12-Sep-13 11:23:47

Sounds a brilliant idea in general but, as Ariadne mentioned, you would need to be covered by insurance. Someone is bound to trip over a tree root or walk into a holly bush or something similar! Sometimes the charity for whom you are raising money can use their 'umbrella' insurance to cover you. Worth asking.

Gorki Thu 12-Sep-13 11:27:14

Sounds a bit of a strange mixture: alternative therapy and making Christmas cards. I myself would not want to do any of that in the woods and definitely not crystal "therapy".

Grandmanorm Thu 12-Sep-13 11:35:19

I wonder where this is taking place. I would go, but definitely not to the crystal therapy thing.
Wooden gifts would certainly be a something I would buy.

harrigran Thu 12-Sep-13 11:53:01

And it's a big no from me.

Doreenmt Thu 12-Sep-13 12:01:56

Great response, thank you so much

I will definitely remove the alternative therapy from the list.

The idea of crystal therapy or even reflexology was surrounding relaxation in a tranquil setting but based on this strong response it will be removed from the list pronto!

Great this is just what I needed

Nature trails
Crafts
Mince pies and hot drinks?
local hand made goods/recycled wood as suggested

All would be in a marquee (with heat)

I would also be interested in arranging a local youth choir to sing Christmas carols on a separate day, again seating and marquee provided with the woods lit up with lights.