Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

What are you called?

(78 Posts)
squaredog Fri 04-Oct-13 16:52:25

No doubt this has been discussed before, so please forgive me. I'm new here.

My first GC is due next May (sadly in Oz), and I've been given free reign as to what I can be called.

I'm single, so there's not male equivalent to consider, and my first name's Susan.

I'd really love something original, as I'm definately not 'normal'.

But then, are any of us? Ha.....

Oooh, ideas please, ladies!

thatbags Tue 08-Oct-13 06:30:33

My kids call me by my first name and always have. Interestingly, DD is mama to the GSs. I expect that will change as they get older.

LizG Tue 08-Oct-13 07:22:35

Following in the family tradition I am mostly called Grandma but our latest young man - aged 18 months - calls me Mamar and I love it. Sadly he will soon grow out of this but a slight deviation from the 'norm' does make me feel special smile

Granniepam Tue 08-Oct-13 10:31:35

Call a family conference and make sure that any future confusion is avoided. I have three different names from three different sets of grandchildren, confusion can arise, especially when set number 1 uses set number 2's name for me for their other gran. Just use your first name and enjoy the experience!

Gorki Tue 08-Oct-13 10:50:41

My elder granddaughter has always called me Gorki and it has stuck but at the age of 6 she is beginning to feel a little embarrassed as " no-one else calls their granny Gorki." Her twin brother who was a later speaker adopted the same name for me but I must admit it feels strange when his one-to -one helper calls across the classroom "Come on O, Gorki is waiting for you " The little one is only 6 months so it remains to be seen what she will call me.smile

Caramac Tue 08-Oct-13 22:22:43

I am Granny Mac, usually Ganny. DGS called me Mum initially as everyone else seemed to, his little cousin followed suit and it was so sweet but of course I am not their Mum. I always said I wanted to be Granny Mac and others are Nanna and Nanan so no problems. OH is Grampy and ex is Grandad. Fewer males in this generation. I am 53 and don't think Granny is an old term for me but then I am a bit bonkers and positively ancient to the little ones anyway.
Whilst there needs to be some agreement, I think its up to you, what would you like to be called? I think that Nanny is often changed by GC to Grandma as they grow up - could be the goat thing FlicketyB.
Even when there are numerous Grandmas, the little ones are very accepting of it all so choose what you want : )

Lin1959 Thu 24-Oct-13 14:07:48

I'm Nannie to the youngest ones, Nan and Nannie Lin to the eldest. I will not answer to Granny/Grandma lol, My Grandma was in fact my Great Grandmother who sat in a rocking chair with a shawl around her shoulders, I don't think I am ready for that yet grin my other grandmothers were Nan. My 9 year old Grandson, Josh, loves to wind me up by calling me Grandma, my response is to call him Joshua, he hates that lol

baubles Thu 24-Oct-13 14:42:55

I'm Grandma to my DGDs which I love, however over the past month or so my 3 year old granddaughter has been afraid of a 'black grandma' who apparantly frightened her. We have tried to explain that it was a dream and not real but I'm not sure she understands, sometimes she looks at me oddly and I think she is remembering the dream. I don't know if I actually featured in this dream or if its just the name 'grandma' that's the issue.

I'm wondering if I should try a name change and how to go about it thlconfused

Faye Thu 24-Oct-13 15:48:38

My two eldest grandchildren (cousins) started off calling me Mamma, my third called me Ahma, my fourth still calls me Grumma, my fifth called me Gwanma and my sixth GC (now nearly two) calls me Mum. We tell her to say Grandma but she insists and calls me Mum. I have heard her say Ganma but only a few times.

Once they were about three they have mostly switched to calling me Grandma.

baubles I would ask your granddaughter to tell you about the dream and why it frightened her. Then I would ask her if she would like to call you something else and help her find a name to call you.

sallybee123 Sun 27-Oct-13 23:25:59

Mine call me Grandma, (I know, boring), but my step mother's grandchildren call her Cruella de ville (Cruella for short), so I'd rather be boring!

Before my Mum died last year, my granddaughter called her 'Great Granny no hair', despite Mum's worries that she would be upset that her hair was gone and she was wearing a wig, Gracie thought it was THE most amazing thing and her treat was to be allowed to take the wig off and stroke her head!

Same with the oxygen tanks, she thought they were amazing too, in time you had little girls coming out of nursery saying 'can you ask Granny to get a cancer Mummy, then I can have one like Gracie'!

hespian Mon 28-Oct-13 13:25:23

Mine call me "Granny Grey Hair" when they are being a bit cheeky but I quite like it and I have - grey hair that is! My grandson used to call me "Ban" when he couldn't quite manage to make the Gr sound for Gran. I was a bit sad when he did manage as I grew to like "Ban"

gratefulgran54 Mon 28-Oct-13 14:09:18

I'm 'Little Granny' as we still have 'Big Granny/Grandad' aka Great-Granny/Grandad.
When my DSs were little, she was 'Little Granny' as her parents were still about, and they were 'Big Granny/Grandad'. Now they have passed and the next generation is here, we have all just moved up the ladder a bit.
My eldest GS has now shortened it to Gran, at the ripe old age of 8, as he is a big boy now...Mummy and Daddy have become Mum and Dad too.
My Mum and Dad were Grandma/Grandpa Lass (the dog). Sadly they passed before the tiddlers came along, such a shame, they would have loved them!
Obviously there have been some weird connotations along they way while they learned to pronounce Granny, the best one was 'Noorie' from the 2nd GS...no idea where it came from, but just naturally progressed to Granny when he got to about 3.

gwennie14 Wed 30-Oct-13 11:12:21

Hi Susan
I am in exactly the same boat! My first is due in April (am so excited!).
I would hate to be called granny, grandma, nan or nanny. so... am currently looking at names for grandma in another language. or i might change granny to granny to grana or grania - just don't know yet. You could do a lot with susan.... suzy, suey, suzanny, zanny etc - I love zanny.... anyway , just some ideas.smile

Grindos Wed 30-Oct-13 20:18:13

I am Grynne and my husband is Hank. When I was 18 I had a boyfriend who called me Lynne the Grynne because I smiled a lot (at him). I decided way back then that if I ever had grandchildren, I'd like them to call me that. DD2 had a boyfriend who couldn't remember my husband's name (Bob) so called him Hank. That stuck and our grandchildren like to call him that.

kalexie Sat 09-Nov-13 14:21:10

As we live in France I'd love it if my little grandson (12 weeks old) would call me Nannafrance. I can't take the credit for thinking that up though, I pinched it from someone else blush.

gracesmum Sat 09-Nov-13 15:11:09

WHY on earth, gwennie14 would you "hate" to be called Granny, Grandma etc etc??? What is wrong with the names? We are so very very privileged to be grandmothers - I have many friends who sadly will never have grandchildren and would have loved to be called anything at all -even "the old bat " if only they had had grandchildren to call them anything. Why, if it ain't broke, even bother to think about fixing it?
Just thought - you may feel young and trendy and too modern to be a granny/grandma etc, but you won't be to your grandchildren!!

Elegran Sat 09-Nov-13 15:21:35

And why is the equivalent in a foreign language any different? It may have a charming more unusual ring to it, but it means the same. It must be the concept of being old enough to be a grandparent. Or it may be a connection with your memory of another person called granny - like my hatrid of the name Joy, because of someone I knew at school almost 70 years ago.

Elegran Sat 09-Nov-13 15:22:10

Spelling - hatred not rid.

annodomini Sat 09-Nov-13 15:27:40

I was thrilled to be 'Granny'. It's such a privilege to be a grandparent.

Galen Sat 09-Nov-13 15:52:42

I'm Graggy!

Stansgran Sat 09-Nov-13 16:04:18

What about nonna or Mamie or manou. All foreign . My father's mother once told me that my dad had married my mum because he needed a housekeeper. I was 11 and I never visited her again and would never be called Granny because of her.she asked my mother why I wouldn't visit but I never told my mother and I wondered if granny P hoped I would tell mum. I remember my mother going to fetch her from hospital for some reason I had to go school holidays I think and I remember feeling nothing for her frail and old as she was because she had been so unkind both to me and to my mum

GadaboutGran Sat 09-Nov-13 16:06:36

Whatever they say, it's the way they say it & the way they call me Grandma is divine (soft & cuddly). The version of the 2 yr old is gamma. If you want some foreign ones, my various Gkids also have Oma & Opa (though MiL's grandparents thought those terribly vulgar & insisted on Grandfater/mutter); Mimi & Grandpa Toad; Nona & Nonnu. Then for great grandmothers there's GranGran (GanGan), Mimi & Mama.

positivepam Sat 09-Nov-13 18:15:42

I am also known as Granny and feel extremely honoured and privileged to be called that. I love it and I know some people think it makes you sound or feel old, but, I just think you are as young or old as you feel yourself. And I feel young and very very happy to be a Granny. Long may it continue!! grin

harrigran Sat 09-Nov-13 18:36:31

I am with gracesmum I am Grandma and very proud to be so, why would you not want to be ?

BAnanas Sat 09-Nov-13 18:38:46

I'm nana to my granddaughter, both my grandmothers were nana to me. I am also step grandmama, to my husband's grandchildren. A family joke, must be said in a strangled voiced Maggie Smith in Downton sort of way!

Flowerofthewest Sat 09-Nov-13 23:42:17

My DGD now 14 used to call me her Fairygrandmother. We always did fairy things and joined the Fairyland Trust. Not sure what she calls me now. Will have to ask her.