Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

What's for supper?

(24 Posts)
Riverwalk Tue 12-Nov-13 18:17:39

I'm having a glass of wine whilst I ponder!

gracesmum Tue 12-Nov-13 18:20:42

Chicken legs with sherry, baby onions and olives cooked in the pressure cooker. Rice and fresh beetroot. Stewed apples but alas no cream or custard sad

Charleygirl Tue 12-Nov-13 18:21:43

Thanks for reminding me, I have a glass or two left in the fridge. The food will be second place as I fancy a nice glass of dry white.

kittylester Tue 12-Nov-13 18:25:14

Sausage and mash, caramelised onions, petit pois, red wine gravy and (I've had a very trying day!!) winewine and possibly wine wine

Anne58 Tue 12-Nov-13 18:27:35

Mr P has made a large quantity of spag bol, some for tonight, some for the freezer.

Sadly, current restrictions mean no wine, but I'm having a glass of Lidl's cider in a wine glass and pretending!

flowerfriend Tue 12-Nov-13 18:28:17

Hummus -made on Saturday for a family get-together and followed by ratatouille made to fill a veggie lasange (vegetarian friend for dinner later in the week) with leftover lamb. Yum. Oh gin and tonic while it's getting ready.

thatbags Tue 12-Nov-13 18:30:25

So far, the heel of the loaf spread with butter and apricot jam, a chunk of REAL creamy Lancashire cheese (not that white plastic stuff most shops sell) and a mug of tea. Was in school this afto getting to know fourteen potential Rotakids and came home a bit tired. Minibags had earned some computer time vacuuming her room and the kitchen and clearing out her bookshelves.

whenim64 Tue 12-Nov-13 18:31:31

Lunch out today, so just a snack this evening. Daughter has brought back a batch of pork pies from a place in Huddersfield - Hinchliffe's? Apparently they are award winners, and I can see why. Delicious!

tanith Tue 12-Nov-13 18:32:56

Sausage and mash here too with tomatoes, mushrooms and broad beans and there is a slice of chocolate fudge cake with my name on it .

joannapiano Tue 12-Nov-13 18:32:57

Spaghetti hoops on toast and a yoghurt. Have just got in after cooking tea for 3 DGC and am now going out to Community Choir practice.
DH cooked himself venison burgers.

BAnanas Tue 12-Nov-13 18:35:04

I'm trying to use up contents in my freezer so I can defrost it, which I haven't done since I bought it, 12 years ago! Defrosted some salmon, smoked haddock and prawns, although would add that they haven't actually been languishing in the freezer for 12 years, only a couple of months! Have made a fish pie for supper with those ingredients covered with a cheese and chive sauce and topped with a mixture of ordinary potato and sweet potato mash. I'll shove it in the oven when my husband wakes up from his after golf snooze, hopefully anytime now.

Sadly I haven't a glass of wine to ponder while I gaze at him opened mouthed and snoring!

flowerfriend Tue 12-Nov-13 18:37:53

whenim64 I'm very jealous. I do miss proper pork pies because of living in France. But I did enjoy a couple last week while I was in Cardiff.

I eat very little for lunch and usually eat 'proper' in the evening and then it's difficult when you go out to eat at lunchtime. Then I don't know what to do and sometimes end up consuming more calories than normal. Ho hum!

Penstemmon Tue 12-Nov-13 18:41:44

Just waiting for the pressure cooker to finish hissing and I am having a beef and red wine casserole!

sunseeker Tue 12-Nov-13 18:41:52

Honey Mustard chicken with wholegrain rice wine later!

Nonu Tue 12-Nov-13 19:17:18

Grilled pork chops, cauliflower, broccoli and mixed salad .
Yummy !! smile

Grannylin Tue 12-Nov-13 19:18:33

Pork chops in the oven with apples and parsnips and some lovely Cavalo nero.No alcohol as still recovering from over indulgence at the weekend blush

tiggypiro Tue 12-Nov-13 19:24:46

Sausage casserole with any veg from the bottom of the fridge thrown in, along with a tin of beans and some macaroni to thicken it. Yummy !
No wine though as I limit myself to weekends but might have a sloe gin later just to check on its progress.

Kiora Tue 12-Nov-13 19:26:20

All sounds yummy, one of my colleagues says 'supper' a few of us NORTHERNERS say tea, but most say dinner. Left over cottage pie for us with Savoy cabbage

FlicketyB Tue 12-Nov-13 20:28:25

Rissotto balls (from Waitrose). new to me, but they were remaindered so I thought I would try them, they were very nice, and a side salad. DH is singing in an opera all week so doesn't want to eat before he goes out so I am free to eat what I like when I like.

merlotgran Tue 12-Nov-13 20:38:32

Pan fried bream fillets (Aldi, not expensive) Stir fried veg from the garden - pak choi, garlic, cavalo nero, carrots, leek - boulangere potatoes.

The diet means no wine until Friday sad

MiceElf Tue 12-Nov-13 20:43:49

Venison casserole with juniper berries (very cheap from the butcher) steamed new potatoes, broccoli, carrots and to follow the last of the baklava I made on Sunday.

Flowerofthewest Tue 12-Nov-13 20:46:45

Home made fish pie, made it at last minute and had to go out for 5.30. Hence I smelled of haddock for the evening.

Bez Tue 12-Nov-13 20:58:01

Home made chicken pie with French beans, baby carrots and broccoli - DIL been working all day and has appointments for the boys when they all get back from school - so I am on catering duties! Bought a key lime pie for desert though - DS loves it and I am quite partial to it.

Soupy Tue 12-Nov-13 21:00:02

It was chicken curry, cooked by DH as I was at work all day.
But then he forgot to cook the samosas, pakoras etc - my favourite bits!