Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

From the front page of Mumsnet ....

(11 Posts)
absent Mon 25-Nov-13 01:19:15

Given how this misrepresentation of the results of the Gransnet survey has spread widely, it is surely not unreasonable to have a number of threads looking at different aspects of the subject. Those who don't want to read or contribute can, as always, ignore them.

NfkDumpling Sun 24-Nov-13 18:44:09

The expression 'means testing' is usually taken to means looking whether the poor have too much income to benefit from payments but I think in this case it's the other way around. What the survey revealed was that a large number of us think the rich shouldn't get benefits. So the means test should only be for those with a regular income of more than say £55,000. Most of us wouldn't be involved.

grannyjaybristol Sun 24-Nov-13 11:41:50

I would like to point out that there is no evidence that means testing universal pensioner benefits would save money - a Freedom of Information request this year as to how much would get saved got the answer 'this information is not available ' because it hasn't been worked out because the current Government does not intend to means test benefits!! I was contacted by Radio Bristol to ask what Bristol Older People's Forum members felt about the Grans-net results, and I have to say I was astonished, and wondered who the members actually are. We have just done a survey of our members and got nearly 900 results, and believe me Bristolian pensioners who responded didn't want means testing. Mind you most had individual incomes under £10,000 so that may be why the results are different..........

Ana Wed 20-Nov-13 22:50:33

Sorry, but I don't see why you can't add your comments/complaints onto one of the previous threads...confused

janeainsworth Wed 20-Nov-13 22:37:34

Agree with you petallus

petallus Wed 20-Nov-13 21:59:12

How many threads is the least of our worries.

I think we have been misrepresented and I don't like it.

Ana Wed 20-Nov-13 21:51:17

But there are other threads about this very subject! And Cari has responded to some GN's questions on one of those. Why start yet another thread?

Pentillie Wed 20-Nov-13 21:32:42

......and we are still awaiting to hear who commissioned this survey!

Riverwalk Wed 20-Nov-13 21:19:42

Yes Ana because GNHQ needs to get on the case and correct the errors that they are putting in the public domain - instead of letting Janet Street-Porter take the rap!

Ana Wed 20-Nov-13 21:01:12

Oh, not another thread about this....hmm

Riverwalk Wed 20-Nov-13 20:51:41

'Earlier this year, Gransnet asked its members for their views on universal benefits for pensioners. 24% felt the state pension should be means-tested, and 72% felt the winter fuel payment should be, too. Take a look at the results in full.'

Misinformation of what?