Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Christmas and the Ex!

(16 Posts)
Riverwalk Thu 26-Dec-13 12:27:26

Just out of morbid interest, anyone seeing/seen the ex over the festive period?

My ex-husband is coming for lunch today .... I'm so hospitable!

He's coming to see our son who is visiting from Switzerland and flying back today.

I shall be my usual lovely self! tchsmile wine wine

Lona Thu 26-Dec-13 12:40:48

You definitely deserve a medal as well as wine cupcake and flowers

tchgrin

Enviousamerican Thu 26-Dec-13 13:11:54

I spend every Christmas and Thanksgiving with my ex.and his mother.tchshock

AlieOxon Thu 26-Dec-13 13:21:32

My ex is long gone. No communication, no interest.

But my daughter's ex actually only phoned his son this year and SENT money instead of making a big fuss to see him plus many meaningless promises afterwards broken.....maybe he doesn't want to come near her new (and nice) bloke....good.
A great improvement.

Charleygirl Thu 26-Dec-13 13:31:12

I hope that my ex rots in hell (Spain) with his dearly beloved. That lurv has apparently worn very thin on both sides. What a suprise as she is many, many years younger than him and dim witted it would appear.

feetlebaum Thu 26-Dec-13 13:34:19

Had a more than usually chatty card from my ex (#2) who lives in Las Vegas (for the climate). I've only seen her once since 1979 though. My 1980s partner married a jealous bloke, apparently, and we no longer have any contact - which is pity.(Like I'm a threat at my age!)

annodomini Thu 26-Dec-13 14:07:05

Mine is far away and very good riddance. He sends money to DSs for children but that's as far as it goes. ‼

Riverwalk Thu 26-Dec-13 16:59:40

I think Envious deserves the medal for virtuous ex's! tchgrin

He's just left to take DS2 to Heathrow.

I'm having a very large drink! wine wine tchsmile

granjura Thu 26-Dec-13 17:26:29

Pheew, glad you survived the day. Loads of snow in Switzerland and roads are treacherous- so text him to take great care on his way home (your son, not the ex smile )

numberplease Thu 26-Dec-13 17:44:09

I don`t have an ex, but my daughter number 2 is with her second husband, doesn`t want a bar of her ex, not surprisingly, but her and hubby and her 2 young adult children had Christmas dinner at his ex`s house, with her and her second hubby, they`re all great friends.

Riverwalk Thu 26-Dec-13 17:48:58

granjura is there a lot of snow in Zurich? My son left his car at the airport.

granjura Thu 26-Dec-13 19:14:38

Ooops, I live right on the other side, near the French border. Zurich should be fine- just depends if he has to drive up t'mountains.

TriciaF Fri 27-Dec-13 14:58:48

I'm not currently seeing my ex, but he has become a much nicer person as the years passed . He was bipolar and alcoholic, and I was one of those oldfashioned wives who stayed "for the sake of the children."
Our children still love him, visit him as often as they can. He has aged faster than me and the years of lithium have affected his kidneys.
I would like to see him again, just out of friendship, but he has very jealous 2nd wife.

ps Fri 27-Dec-13 18:57:56

Riverwalk I applaud your ability to have your ex for lunch. I'm in the Charleygirl camp on this one in as much as I wish my ex a miserable lingering rotting in hell for what she has done and I would never again want to hear anything about her other than in the obituary columns. Not very charitable I know and so unlike me but that's how I feel. I hate what she has made me become. A year ago I worshipped the ground she walked on and would willingly have sacrificed my life for her - what a difference a year makes.

Enviousamerican Fri 27-Dec-13 19:20:36

I only have one unmarried son,no closed relatives from my family left except a bipolar,narcissistic,toxic older sister I haven't seen in 11 years. So seeing my ex and his kind mother twice a year isn't so bad! It's been almost 30 years since we were married.you have to let all the bad memories go and remember a few genuinely good ones.Supposedly we let people cause us pain.I don't buy it,what loving,caring person wouldn't be hurt by others?

busybea Fri 03-Jan-14 15:16:21

Glad I'm not the only one ~ we were all invited to my daughters for christmas lunch cos its my grandaughters first christmas ~ havenspoken to him since I walked out 14 years ago ~ perhaps should entitle the `how to play happy families for your daughters sake`! We still didn't speak ~ my daughter sat us at either end of the table, but frankly I was there cos I wanted to be with my daughter etc so quite happy to ignore him and get on with enjoying myself regardless so had a good time despite having to put up with being there ~ behaved myself as a well bred lady should and refrained from chucking my dinner over his head ha ha! Happy new year