Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Cooking Question

(19 Posts)
Anne58 Tue 28-Jan-14 13:48:36

Advice appreciated for this one!

When we went shopping Mr P picked up a Schwartz mix for creamy pork and mushroom something (no, I don't know why either confused )

You are supposed to make it in the pan using very lean pork. It seems to take a very short amount of time to cook. I have only got bargain basement shoulder steaks.

Do you think if I followed the ingredients list, but put it in the slow cooker instead for a couple of hours it would be ok?

Nonu Tue 28-Jan-14 13:52:46

I would imagine so , presumably you mix the packet stuff with a little water first ?
Sounds okay !

yogagran Tue 28-Jan-14 13:54:14

I reckon that'll be fine phoenix, perhaps a little more water than the packet states as it may dry out a little?

sherish Tue 28-Jan-14 13:54:25

I'm sure I've used these and cooked them in the oven as you would a casserole.

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 28-Jan-14 13:57:01

Would two hours in a slow cooker be long enough to cook the pork? I thought they took longer than that. I think I would do it on hob. Are you thinking the shoulder steaks might not be tender? What do the instructions say on the mix packet?

Anne58 Tue 28-Jan-14 13:57:08

You mix the packet stuff with half a pint of milk, perhaps an ounce or 2 more would be an idea?

glammanana Tue 28-Jan-14 14:02:41

It will be fine in slow cooker phoenix just add wee bit more milk or drop of water makes no difference really,do you have a couple of mushrooms to throw in an hour before done or a spare pepper any colour in the fridge ? if so just put in as well - enjoiy !!

Anne58 Tue 28-Jan-14 14:11:42

The packet says add onions and mushrooms, both of which I have.

jingl the hob instructions imply the whole thing only takes around 15mins shock

BTW, I didn't get them because it would take a long time to use them up, but in Lidl they had a 5kg bag of onions for £1.39 !!!! I thought it was an error, but it wasn't.

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 28-Jan-14 14:17:41

Says on Schwartz website you can use in slow cooker. Mix as instructions on packet. Then cook according to your slow cooker timings.

Would n't it be at least 6 hours though?

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 28-Jan-14 14:20:15

I'd just do it in a frying pan or saucepan tbh. Cut meat up small. Why do you want it to take so long? Sounds delicious btw.

Anne58 Tue 28-Jan-14 14:20:34

Thanks jingl heaven knows why I didn't think of going to the Schwartz website blush

When I do chicken thighs I brown them first, they only seem to need around 3 to 4 hours.

Will pop downstairs and get it on.

Anne58 Tue 28-Jan-14 15:15:32

Right, all done and in the pot. It will either be edible or it won't!

Thanks to all who posted!

MamaCaz Tue 28-Jan-14 17:39:27

I often cook pork steaks (though usually loin ones) in my slow cooker. I sometimes give them a quick fry first just to help them on their way and they are usually dropping apart after two to three hours!

Even a leg of lamb or a joint of beef brisket is usually cooked in under six hours in my slow cooker.

I hope you enjoy your meal, Phoenix.

absent Wed 29-Jan-14 08:58:09

Just for the record, you usually need less liquid in a slow cooker than for other more conventional ways of cooking. This is because the lid forms a seal and the liquid condenses on it (the lid) and returns to the yummy ingredients melding happily together in the pot. This does not apply if you take the lid off to poke and stir during cooking in spite of all the warnings that tell you not to!

MamaCaz Wed 29-Jan-14 11:00:40

I agree, Absent.
Often, I only put in a drop of liquid, purely so that it can create steam and form that so-called seal around the lid. My lid doesn't look to fit well anyway, but things seem to cooc perfectly regardless. I only add more than a drop if I want it to form the base of a gravy or sauce.

That said, I think that my cheap slow cooker might heat a little more than some, as I find that I can stir casseroles in it without any obvious effects on the cooking time.!

Stansgran Wed 29-Jan-14 11:38:26

DH always lifts the lid on the slow cooker. Just looking he says. And it drips over the counter.

Elegran Wed 29-Jan-14 11:42:19

Son-in-law 1 is a keen cook and has to be physically restrained from taking off the lid of the slow cooker for a stir and a taste several times while it is getting on with its own business.

Brendawymms Wed 29-Jan-14 11:42:51

If you lift the lid to peek it then takes about 15 minutes to regain its temperature. Tell your OH to leave it alone and just look through the glass. grin

MamaCaz Wed 29-Jan-14 12:55:05

When I'm cooking stew-type things in mine I find that it starts bubbling around the edges long before the centre reaches that temperature, so I think that it is worth lifting the lid very occasionally to give it a stir and even out the temperature. But as I said, maybe mine gets hotter than the average slow cooker! I don't mind if it does, because it produces the desired results anyway smile