Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Ale

(29 Posts)
Galen Wed 29-Jan-14 21:10:49

Help!
This is actually a cooking question, but:-
What is the difference between stout and ale?
I want to make a beef and ale stew/pie
Don't know what liquor to purchase?
Can anyone help?

feetlebaum Sat 07-Jun-14 19:47:40

Funny how mild disappeared from the South... the popular pint when I were a mere stripling, was mild and bitter - the nearest thing now is light and bitter - which involves adding a bottled beer to a live, cask-conditioned ale - which is pretty pointless.

absent Tue 18-Feb-14 22:36:54

papaoscar Steak, Guinness and Oyster Pie is a traditional East Coast dish found in places like Whitstable. Delicious, if you like oysters.

In the days when oysters were very cheap, they were also a standard ingredient in Lancashire Hotpot (lamb or mutton, not a beef stew).

papaoscar Tue 18-Feb-14 21:20:45

Never tried oysters with beef, Absent, worth a go? Usually I find that a slice of lemon is enough.

absent Tue 18-Feb-14 20:36:45

Black Sheep Ale (from Massham in Yorkshire) is delicious in steak and ale pie. Nothing but Guinness will do for an oyster pie and a light ale gives a perfect lift to batters.

papaoscar Tue 18-Feb-14 20:13:53

Just dropped in to the old Gargle & Trumpet for a quick yard-of-ale and horseradish muffin with scratchings but noticed on the bar menu tempting reference to steak & ale pie. Hope its on today with steaming pile of mash, peas and carrots. Roaring log fire would be much appreciated and no music, please, just the swish of raising glasses and patter of lively conversation. That's more like it!

Galen Thu 30-Jan-14 22:17:49

Beer cheese soup?

Galen Thu 30-Jan-14 22:16:20

Tomatoes eh? Sounds good. Would have put a fresh bay leaf in as a matter of course. Never used lea and perrins in a stew though. Sound interesting.
I never flour my meat, I use corn flour mixed with cold water instead as thickening at the end.

Paige Thu 30-Jan-14 22:14:40

Oh! I also add a slight spoonful of sugar in stews with tomatoes. X

Paige Thu 30-Jan-14 22:09:44

Got four cans of Bottingtons.....what about some beer cheese soup?Yum! grin

Paige Thu 30-Jan-14 22:05:35

No recipe basicly the ingredients you listed.I used the crockpot.Also a couple of dried bay leaves,half beef broth and half beer. a small can of diced tomatoes,s&p,used garlic and EVOL to brown the meat and onions. Forgot to flour the meat so I added a little flour later to small amount of broth stirring it in. Oh,I also added a few small red skinned potatoes. Forgot to buy mushrooms. Don't forget the nice shake of Worchestershire! grin

merlotgran Thu 30-Jan-14 21:43:59

Chuck the mushrooms in towards the end, Galen as they don't need long to cook.

I'll be buying some braising steak tomorrow and a bottle of Adnams Broadside after reading this thread!

Galen Thu 30-Jan-14 21:23:06

What recipe do you use. I'm doing mine in the slow cooker tomorrow for tomorrow night.
I thought.
Braising steak
Onions
Ale
Stock
Celery
Carrots

What do you more expert cooks think?
Oh! I've got some mushrooms that need using, might chuck those in.

Paige Thu 30-Jan-14 21:15:09

I made beef stew today infact and used some Bottingtons and it turned out very good! Of course I never leave out the Worcestershire. grin

rosesarered Thu 30-Jan-14 20:55:41

No Grandads were harmed in the making of this pie/thread. smile

Lona Thu 30-Jan-14 20:28:22

Was it his middle one Galen? grin

Kiora Thu 30-Jan-14 20:21:49

Ohhh is it sore?
Bishops finger will do in stew/ casserole or pie

Galen Thu 30-Jan-14 20:10:08

I've got 'the bishop's finger'!hmm

Kiora Thu 30-Jan-14 19:45:32

Well which was it? And was it tasty

FlicketyB Thu 30-Jan-14 08:15:43

The darker and richer the better

Galen Wed 29-Jan-14 22:43:28

Don't think I get that one round here
Isn't Guinness quite bitter?
I used to live in the midlands where you could get M&B and I loved the the mild as a shandy.
Nothing like that down here!

Lona Wed 29-Jan-14 22:36:53

Adnams Broadside, one of the most popular!

Mishap Wed 29-Jan-14 21:56:32

I can recommend Adnams beer for cooking with meat. I made a delicious venison and gammon casserole with it and the SILs freaked out with delight!

Lona Wed 29-Jan-14 21:55:32

Guinness not Guiness

Lona Wed 29-Jan-14 21:54:45

Galen I used to work in a country pub which served the most delicious steak and ale pies. The chef (he'd actually cooked for the Queen once) always used Guiness or mild, really anything dark will be ok.

glassortwo Wed 29-Jan-14 21:36:17

All around to galens for tea tomorrow.