Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Need help!

(21 Posts)
JammieB Sat 01-Feb-14 11:23:09

I have no idea which forum to go to to ask this but need advice!
Just over the last 6 months or so I have started to say inappropriate things - seem totally unable to keep a secret, I say things - it seems that my brain and mouth are not working together any more, once it's out of my mouth I can't retract it and start back pedaling and get myself into an even more sticky situation. I am wondering if I have dementia or at least early dementia - I'm 70. I'm on quite a lot of medication for various conditions, does anybody have any tips as to how to engage brain first?

dustyangel Sat 01-Feb-14 12:05:45

I know some medication can make you more uninhibited. A bit like a couple of glasses of wine, but I expect someone with more knowledge will be along soon. smile
Is there any medication that you have started in the last six months?

JammieB Sat 01-Feb-14 13:12:12

Actually - yes! I've checked the side effects and it doesn't say anything about making me insensitive! I almost wonder if I might be on the verge of dementia sometimes

Mishap Sat 01-Feb-14 13:19:57

The first thing to check is whether your drugs are causing the problem. I would suggest that you make an appointment with your doctor and in the meantime keep a written record of the things that are happening - when they happen and a description of what has happened.

Do not worry that doctor will dismiss what you say - believe me, they have seen and heard everything and will not bat an eyelid.

I can understand that a fear of possible dementia must be very disturbing and it will be making you anxious, which in turn will influence your behaviour and capabilities.

I wish you lots of luck with this and hope that it will settle down for you quickly.

Galen Sat 01-Feb-14 13:43:17

Drugs such as Prozac (fluoxetine) can have this effect.

brindlegirl123 Sat 01-Feb-14 15:51:38

Hi jammieB....Have you had a "sit down honest" chat with your close friends and family? Sometimes it is them that will pick up on any unusual changes in behaviour. As your behaviour is causing you some concern I would certainly mention it to the doctor. This can at least put your mind at rest - worrying about having dementia can of course cause you stress which in turn can manifest itself in other ways. Don't panic, chances are you are fine!

Bell x

Nonu Sat 01-Feb-14 16:33:54

Speak to your family and friends & ask for their honest opinion as to whether they have noticed any change in you . Cannot do any harm and may be helpful !

Flowerofthewest Sat 01-Feb-14 16:34:25

DH does this sometimes when he is wandering half asleep in the middle of the night. I put it down to tiredness but will talk to GP about it.

The other morning at 3am he brought me a cup of tea and said that he didn't bring me a 'shoe' because he knows I am not eating them at the moment.confused

He does get confused at night when trying to find the loo in the dark.

It may be stress with him though because of the worrying about the results of his psa tests.

JammieB Sat 01-Feb-14 20:26:09

My family agree that I engage my mouth before my brain lately - I WILL make an appointment with my GP, maybe there is some sort of drug interraction - I'm on pain meds, beta blockers and warfarin. My sister is dismissive and tells me off - she is right but it doesn't help when it's beyond my control! I've been told secrets and blurted them out - I'm begging my family not to tell me any and has sort of got to the stage where I don't want to talk to people in case I say the wrong thing!! I used to be so discrete and people always knew they could tell me anything - this is so awful!

JammieB Sat 01-Feb-14 20:29:16

Thank you for your helpful comments - really appreciate it x

seasider Sun 02-Feb-14 00:12:39

Galen that is interesting. My DP has been on Fluoxetine for years and sometimes mentions things in company that are not for public consumption! He does sometimes make totally inappropriate remarks (the sort of things you might think but keep to yourself) but I would never have linked that behaviour to his medication!

Mishap Sun 02-Feb-14 17:02:18

My OH has PD and along with this comes REM sleep disorder, which is when people act out their dreams because they are not paralysed as we normally are during that phase of sleep. It is fine if he is having a delightful dream but not if he is fending off aliens. He attacked me in my sleep the other night and it was very frightening indeed - I thought he was going to break my arm. I had to scream at him to wake him up. It is a bit worrying to say the least, but it only happens 3 or 4 times a year. I just hope it gets no worse as the disease progresses.

rosesarered Sun 02-Feb-14 20:58:55

Hello JammieB what an awful problem for you, do you think it could be caused by stress?That, and the medication?I know that sometimes older people can be more uninhibited , more likely to say what they think often at the wrong time, but this sounds as if it's causing you to become even more anxious.Do you find that the more you worry the worse it gets?Is it because you live on your own?Relaxation of some sort may help you, massage, yoga, reflexology.

Grannyknot Sun 02-Feb-14 21:08:52

Jammie ooh that's not nice. It's quite strange that you realise that you are doing it, but still can't stop yourself? Might well be medication.

Flowerofthewest Sun 02-Feb-14 23:30:25

Oh Mishap how I sympathise, my DH has these dreams I have been punched, kicked, he yells out in his sleep and, yes, it only happens a few times a year but nonetheless is scary. I usually leap out of bed yelling,'What the hell are you doing you stupid b*"$*rd. He is non the wiser but can sometimes remember his dreams. The first time it happened he was 'Chasing Gypsies trying to get the baby back' confused

He doesn't have PD but still has these really scary moments (for me anyway)

FlicketyB Mon 03-Feb-14 08:29:09

I, occasionally and randomly, scatter my conversation with completely wrong words. I have been doing it for years, if not all my life. I always refer to it as verbal dyslexia. Partly it is because I am talking about one thing and thinking about something else completely (multi-tasking!) but mainly it is just randomly saying something like 'radio' when I mean 'bicycle'.

I think some of us just have these odd little quirks that come and go in life, but jammie, your problem is different, I agree with all the other posters, see your GP.

Mishap Mon 03-Feb-14 09:14:58

Perhaps we should start a new thread Flickety - I'm not sure I should have put this in here in the first place, as poor JammieB has a lot on her plate. I'll start another called REM sleep disorder.

FlicketyB Mon 03-Feb-14 09:22:07

Yes, she does, but sometimes when symptoms are new to an individual they later discover they were common to others. When people post worries and concerns it is often for re-assurance as much as advice and one of the posts above did mention problems with jumbled vocabulary.

JammieB Wed 26-Feb-14 19:24:39

Sorry - went off on holiday in the middle of all your supportive messages - I have now seen my GP and she tells me that this could be caused by my medication that is making me a bit uninhibited - I'm on pain medication. anti convulsants, beta blockers and warfarin, I have a benign brain tumour that's in the area of my brain that controls behaviour (can't remember what it's called), maybe it's not as controlled as we thought it was!! Thank you for your kindness - maybe it's time to come clean with my family about it. I still hate what is happening to me, I think I am a bit of a control freak who is out of control!!

durhamjen Wed 26-Feb-14 20:43:16

Jammie, think positively about this. My husband's brain tumour was malignant and killed him within 4 months.
Also, it's nice to have an excuse to say what you want! Use it to the full, before they alter your medication.

Galen Wed 26-Feb-14 20:59:21

Frontal or temporal lobe?