Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Sick grandchildren

(58 Posts)
overthehill Sat 15-Feb-14 12:05:39

Do you look after your grandchildren when they are sick so mum can go to work.

I don't look after mine as one is at school and the other one will be going to a nursery. What I do instead, is have them if they go out, overnight if they need a break. I will have the older one occasionally during school holidays.

DD did mention having them when they are ill. I am slightly worried about this as things like colds etc. really knock me for six and if I pick up the germs from them I will be ill for ages when they will probably be long better. It hasn't happened yet and DD is very good and doesn't take advantage at all so I like to help where I can.

What do others do?

annodomini Sun 16-Feb-14 20:58:40

A year ago, one of mine donated his noro virus to me, then swanned off to Florida with the rest of the family. Generous child!

Flowerofthewest Sun 16-Feb-14 21:20:56

Galen as far as I am aware, having checked with my GP it is possible for someone with Shingles to give someone Chickenpox but not the other way around. Will double check but I know this is what he told me the other month when I had Shingles.

Flowerofthewest Sun 16-Feb-14 21:24:31

My eldest DD contracted chickenpox for the second time from my shingles when she was 7, it, unfortunately went to the lining of her brain and she was ill with meningitis and hospitalised for 2 weeks. She only had a few chickenpox blisters on her leg and had had full blown chickenpox when she was about 3.

Joelise Sun 16-Feb-14 22:08:33

Thank you to all on the chicken pox & shingles information, I think I'ii be eligible for vaccination next year, which I will have, I know from friends & family how distressing & painful it can be.

margaretm74 Sun 16-Feb-14 22:19:47

My GP assures me that you cannot catch shingles from chickenpox (absolutely not!) but you can catch chickenpox from touching a shingles blister. His practice nurse disagrees and believes you can catch shingles from chickenpox, (but only says this if you speak to her when she is on her own).

Hung jury?

I asked medical professionals if it was possible for an unvaccinated baby to catch measles or rubella from a child who had had a bad reaction with rash from the MMR vaccine. I was told this was impossible but I am not convinced.
Does anyone know more please?

Flowerofthewest Mon 17-Feb-14 00:24:38

Have looked on NHS site and it says you cannot catch shingles from chickenpox but you can the other way round. I was advised by my GP to avoid young babies and pregnant mums when I had shingles the other month. I stayed in for 3 weeks and really missed my littlest grand children.

Lona Mon 17-Feb-14 09:25:15

Galen is a doctor!

margaretm74 Mon 17-Feb-14 09:41:19

I am not disputing what Galen says, merely reporting what I was told at my practice, where the views differed between a very young doctor and an older very experienced practice nurse, leaving me confused.

Galen Mon 17-Feb-14 09:52:57

Think the confusion arises because most people have had chicken pox, so therefore you are more likely to get shingles as you only get chicken pox once. It is possible to get it twice, but very rare.
Does this clarify the situation

margaretm74 Mon 17-Feb-14 09:58:13

Yes, thankyou. I think practice nurse had noticed the increase in shingles seemed to coincide with chickenpox outbreaks but that must be coincidence.

Galen Mon 17-Feb-14 10:37:06

I caught shingles from another Dr who had it, my children came out in chickenpox. In revenge they gave me mumps!

margaretm74 Mon 17-Feb-14 10:38:51

All worse when we're older I think .

gillybob Mon 17-Feb-14 11:01:57

I usually look after my three on Mondays/Tuesdays (with an overnight in between). Last week I had them all as usual and they were all ill with a sickness bug that is going around the school. One in bed, one hanging over the toilet and one having her tummy rubbed. Then.......all change. smile

Flowerofthewest Mon 17-Feb-14 11:06:58

Nor am I disputing Galen. It is just what I have researched because I did not want to risk my baby GC contracting anything from my shingles.

harrigran Mon 17-Feb-14 23:37:17

Had GD1 for a sleepover last night and all day today. DIL said she had been unwell on and off since Friday when she was too poorly to go to school. It has been awful trying to feed her, everything I mentioned she didn't think she could eat and didn't even want to try. Tonight we went right through the fridge and cupboards and she finally agreed to try some soup, didn't like the first but ate the second. I am exhausted because I worry when she doesn't appear to have anything nourishing.

Aka Tue 18-Feb-14 11:19:54

So long as she's getting some fluids harrigran I wouldn't worry of she doesn't want to eat. She'll make it up for sure, and some, when she's feeling better.

margaretm74 Tue 18-Feb-14 20:16:31

They seem to lose weight so quickly, but the put it back on when they start eating again.

grannyactivist Tue 18-Feb-14 21:44:24

One of my daughters had chicken pox before she was three months old and was very ill, needing hospital treatment. She got chicken pox a second time when she was in hospital (for another illness) at the age of five or six. The THIRD time she contracted chickenpox (aged 12 or 13) she had tests done because the doctor didn't believe that it could be chicken pox a third time - but it was confirmed. She is a nurse now and is convinced that she will get shingles at some time in the future.

whitewave Tue 18-Feb-14 21:50:31

Aren't we getting a jab for shingles when we get to 70? Thought I read that when I waiting for my flu jab

Galen Tue 18-Feb-14 22:00:24

Basically, avoid very young, very old, and pregnant women if you have shingles or chickenpox. They are the same virus! Herpes zoster!
Not to be confused with herpes simplex which causes cold sores.
Of course there are also genital warts which are also herpes virus.
Anyone want anymore info?

margaretm74 Tue 18-Feb-14 22:49:22

And of course the shingles vaccine is offered if you are 70 OR 79! Not 70 TO 79.
No other age even if you have a compromised immune system

Flowerofthewest Tue 18-Feb-14 23:25:37

And a nasty virus it is too. My nephew - 28 had it on his face and eye a few weeks ago. I really sympathised as it was bad enough round my back and side. A horrible thing.

margaretm74 Wed 19-Feb-14 08:42:10

DH is just feeling better having got it in November.

Meanwhile DD2 is here today with a runny nose, apparently dolly has a cold as well as she keeps wiping dolly' nose

Flowerofthewest Wed 19-Feb-14 08:55:56

DGS stuck his finger up his nose yesterday and offered to his mum saying 'Guess which hand?' hmmm.

TerriBull Mon 23-Jan-17 09:11:19

Looking after granddaughter tomorrow who has Chicken Pox, as with most of the population we had it as children and have been around our own children who also had it. Resurrected this thread for reassurance, hope you are right Margaretm74, didn't really know about Shingles when my own children were young, sounds ghastly, would hate to get it.