Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Terms of endearment for pets.

(51 Posts)
shysal Sun 16-Feb-14 16:49:30

I am guilty of talking in a really soppy way to my cats, far more so than to GCs whom I call by their given names now that they are older.
Saffron is 'Baby Girl, 'Poppet', Saffy Waffy' or 'Darling' as the mood takes me.
Bugsie is 'Baby Boy', 'Buggles', Bugsy Wugsy or 'Buggerlugs'.
Also they are offered brekkie-wekkie and din-dins, after which they have a piddley-widdley and/or a poo-poo.blush
How do you address your animals?

Ashmore32 Fri 28-Mar-14 23:26:57

Carnationa we had a yellow Lab called Crocker.....don't know what possessed us....

Ashmore32 Fri 28-Mar-14 23:25:08

My First Black lab Jet, Jettie poo's. Seeing as his Kennel name starts Lord Jet of ....your lord ship often would be a sarcastic or naughty retort...
My second Black lab Willow, Willowbird and sing to her the song using Willowbird instead of yellow bird, she is never naughty and neither is
My yellow Lab Dora who was named by her breeder, we called her A'Dorabubble or Dorabubbs and often sing A you're adorable, B you're so beautuful...then hum the rest! Of her littler she had a sister Pick'a'Lilli....or lily for short? I am sure they were both named appropriately.
Our very naughty and feisty JRT Zeke is Zekie'boi or if he is naughty S**t stick!
We have a rescued Chinchilla called Newone, meant as a friend for the off spring of our pair we had. As we couldn't decide on a name it just stayed Newone....all to be Chins have bee named after New York Giants players...(rolling eyes)
When I took my husband to meet my mum for the first time, ...he asked me if my mum had a cat.,I asked him why he thought that...she keeps calling for Toots, which was of course me!

Nelliemoser Sun 09-Mar-14 11:40:25

TriciaF I am obviously not alone. #sighofrelief

Anne58 Sun 09-Mar-14 11:08:11

When we got Digby from Cat's Protection, he was called "Tiggy" which Mr P decided was a bit "camp". We toyed with the idea of Kevin for a while, then settled on Digby, as sound wise it wasn't too far from Tiggy.

Needn't have bothered really, could have called him Eleanor bloody Roosevelt for all the notice he takes. At least Maurice does respond to his name, sign of being a well brought up chap.

newist Sun 09-Mar-14 11:01:04

I have 2 Ragdoll cats, brother and sister, my daughter bred them, the 4 kittens that were born were all registered with flower names, The boy kitten we adopted had a name which included my OHs name so we changed that to Willow, Blossom is his sister she answers to "Tart" or "Trollop" Willow answers to anything, because he sounds like a peacock, so he must get confused, poor love

Anne58 Sun 09-Mar-14 10:48:07

Friends had 2 Border Collies from a breeder who gave each litter names beginning with letters of the alphabet, so they were Gem and Havoc.

Havoc was rather, shall we say, wilful, and once when we were there he did a runner. I offered to go and look for him. Saw a chap struggling with a collie on a rope lead, so asked him "excuse me, is that Havoc?" Completely unperturbed he replied "No, this is Damn Dog" grin

TriciaF Sun 09-Mar-14 10:28:00

Nellie - I do something similar - when shutting the hens in at night I sing "Good Night chuckies etc". from Good Night Ladies, it's time to leave you now.
And our border collie gets "Everybody loves an Uddie that's why we're in love with you - pretty Uddie etc"
She was born in the year when dog's names begin with U.

grannyisland Sat 08-Mar-14 20:36:28

Just seen a George Takei post of a dog saying 'My name's Get Down! No! What's yours?'

rosesarered Thu 06-Mar-14 10:42:22

I shall always remember the look of contempt amazement on DH's face when he came into the room a few years ago and found me whispering lovingly into the furry ear of our elderly cat.

rosesarered Thu 06-Mar-14 10:39:34

Oh no! Ode to Joy WAS lovely [but it isn't now!] grinWill I ever manage to forget that?

Anne58 Wed 05-Mar-14 23:50:13

You've bloody well done it now Nellie ! I shall be singing that as I go to bed! Humph! grin

(Although as posted earlier, each cat has their own "song", about which I will not enlarge at this time, so there!)

Nelliemoser Wed 05-Mar-14 23:46:42

Phoenix It gets worse! The other week I heard a bit of Beethoven's Choral symphony.
The next morning I found myself singing "Hello budgies! Hello budgies! Hello Mummies budgie boys!" to the tune of the Ode to Joy. It works quite well! blush blush

carnationa Wed 05-Mar-14 14:42:56

When I was a kid our cat was called Kojak

cactus60 Sun 02-Mar-14 18:23:43

my little darling was called
clooty dumpling, I still have 3 cats left, loopy cat, my little prince and fatty. On a day when they are naughty then they get called various swear words

grannyisland Sun 02-Mar-14 10:17:29

Our young pointer is usually called Horror - not exactly a term of endearment but well deserved!

annodomini Sun 02-Mar-14 09:46:02

Beautiful black cat, Sophocles (I inherited him with the name) was known as Soppy. And he was.

feetlebaum Sun 02-Mar-14 09:43:49

A very long time ago there was a Siamese cat called Mattiwilda Dobbs, after the black opera singer... this was shortened to Tattie or Mattie - then my six year old step-daughter came up with Tattiwilda Gooseboot - finally the wretched animal was usually referred to as 'Boot'!

ginny Sun 02-Mar-14 09:26:08

Two black labs.

JET aka : Jetty, Jetty jot jot. JP, Jetty bongo, Jay jay. Big boy. Jetski. Lazy boy.

SASHA aka: Sashy , Bear, SashyBear, Boo bong. Sashy Washy. Waggy tail.

Plus a few more.

Daisyanswerdo Sat 01-Mar-14 23:21:48

My cat Phoebe was also known as Fleaby and Feeble - although she wasn't at all - a dear sweet cat.

Anne58 Sat 01-Mar-14 18:10:57

Sorry, had to return to this thread as every night when I turn the fish off shock and evict the cats from the sitting room, I smile as think of Nellie saying "Time for Budgie bye byes" ! grin

kittylester Tue 18-Feb-14 09:44:13

We all loved the 'Whatamess' books but DD2 was rather upset to be called 'whatamess' by her brothers as she had long, blondish hair which looked rather like the dog's ears. grin

MamaCaz Mon 17-Feb-14 13:56:21

We used to have a dog called Gyp, but often called her Gypco Bobbins, or even Gypco Bobbins of Bobbins Farm. And before you as, no, there was no such place as Bobbins Farm!

vegasmags Mon 17-Feb-14 11:09:37

Our cocker spaniel called Hugo also answered to Fuzzface. The corgi stray which we adopted came at the run to the call of Cuddly wuddly wuddly! Tickly wickly wickly! The non dog neighbours just didn't get it smile

henetha Mon 17-Feb-14 10:46:00

I inherited a cockatiel called Wiggy who has turned out to be great company. She gets called WigWams, Wiglet, Piggy Wiggy, Twiggy, or even Cherub sometimes.

Sook Mon 17-Feb-14 08:41:51

The Retired Greyhound Trust do a series of childrens books about the adventures of a retired greyhound called Speedy, all profits go towards homing retired racing greyhounds.

My grandchildren love them.smile