Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Rabbit dilemma

(11 Posts)
petallus Mon 24-Feb-14 17:30:32

My inherited rabbit, Basil, is over 8 years old. I recently noticed he had an enlarged testicle and the vet reckons it could well be cancer but she is not sure.

The vet says it is essential as a first step that Basil is castrated. I have booked him in for Wednesday but wonder if, as he has already gone well past his expected life span, I should just let nature take it's course for a bit and then get him euthanased.

Vets are inclined to drag things out a bit sometimes.

I wonder if any Gnetters are vets or rabbit experts.

I know this is a relatively trivial matter but I have to make a decision soon whether to put Basil through a castration op or not.

Any views much appreciated.

nightowl Mon 24-Feb-14 17:40:30

Castration is quite a simple operation though petallus, I would give him a chance as long as he seems happy and otherwise healthy.

Deedaa Mon 24-Feb-14 20:51:55

He's a good age for a rabbit petallus but I know what you mean about not wanting to do too much. I suppose castration would let the vet see if is cancer and whether any more treatment is needed, but I really don't know which way I would go. I hope it all goes well for you.

Tegan Mon 24-Feb-14 21:46:09

I'd have him castrated but draw the line at any biopsy etc [and make it clear you don't want that done]. That'll just cost a lot and, quite frankly if it is malignant there's not much you can do anyway. Don't give the vet carte blanche to do whatever is necessary cause sometimes they don't know when to stop. Castration could give him a few more months [even longer] which, in rabbit years is a long time. I'm putting my dog through an operation soon and changing my mind all the time.

Mishap Mon 24-Feb-14 22:20:22

We had a rabbit die during castration - it was the anaesthetic apparently. Maybe they do it under local now. It was 20 odd years ago.

Eloethan Mon 24-Feb-14 23:42:22

I'd have the castration done and hopefully Basil will be OK. If he later becomes poorly, I would have him put to sleep.

I don't think it's a trivial matter at all and I wish you all the best with whatever decision you make.

petallus Tue 25-Feb-14 08:37:06

Thanks for the kind replies.

I have decided to go ahead with the castration tomorrow and see how Basil gets on after that. It might give him one more Summer! He likes to lounge around with us in the garden.

I shall make it clear to the vet I don't want them doing anything else, like biopsies.

Basil is facing a number of challenges at the moment. Not only is he getting urine burn causing blisters but he will have to be confined to barracks a lot more than he is used to. He has always roamed around the garden at will since he came here four years ago but last week a large fox suddenly appeared and even came down on to the patio. We have high fencing all around so I don't know how it got in.

Tegan when does your dog have his/her op? I hope there is a good outcome.

nightowl Tue 25-Feb-14 09:31:40

Good luck petallus do let us know how Basil gets on after his op. I like the idea of him enjoying one last summer (who knows, there may even be more) sunshine

nightowl Tue 25-Feb-14 09:32:43

Forgot to say, good luck for your dog as well Tegan (fingers crossed emoticon)

janerowena Tue 25-Feb-14 14:49:19

We let Bunny have the run of the garden, she died suddenly a couple of weeks ago and I always wondered how I would feel about taking her to the vet if I had to, as I have had vets try to get me to keep a pet alive for far longer than I would have chosen to. But when he goes, or if you do shut him in, my goodness you will miss him. It's like having a moving garden ornament that is always pleased to see you.

Could you make him a run? My son made Bunny a huge run out of framed chicken wire, held together with hinges and clasps. Maybe you don't think it's worth it at this stage, though.

We are very lucky, we don't have any foxes around here as it is pheasant-rearing land, but we do have sparrowhawks so we did use the run from time to time when the pigeon feathers everywhere signalled their return.

Good luck, I so hope it goes well.

Tegan Tue 25-Feb-14 15:20:34

My dog has only got a cyst; we're pretty sure it's nothing to worry about but she only has year insurance so will have till September to have it removed. We could just leave it [but, after September it won't be covered by insurance]; as it is it will be removed and a biopsy done. Not only that but it means she can have her teeth cleaned at the same time [which isn't covered by insurance] and will, in the process have had a full MOT. But eher's always a danger with anaesthetic [especially with sighthounds] and I could just leave it. With her going into kennels for the first time this year sad I don't want to risk there being any problems. Last time I went away for any length of time and left a dog behind she almost died so I'm a bit paranoid.