Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

My Cuppa

(11 Posts)
juneison Tue 18-Mar-14 00:40:33

For the past couple of months my usual cup of tea seems to have changed in taste and become somewhat frothy....any idea on what's gone on ?

juneison Tue 18-Mar-14 00:47:24

I use a teapot for my cuppa, a mix of PGTips and Earl Grey......always found this my perfect mix but the taste has changed along with the colour and it is somewhat frothy to boot, disgusting! Have tried all ways I can think of to get back my tasty brew but failed miserably so far....any ideas as to what's gone wrong will be gratefully received!

Granny23 Tue 18-Mar-14 01:56:00

Sounds as if it is your water at fault. Try using some plain bottled water to see if that tastes all right. We had funy tasting water for a bit and asked the Water Board to come and test it, which they did. They insisted that the water was fine, which it was but only from the day after their visit.

Funny that hmm

absent Tue 18-Mar-14 05:43:44

A change in the water crossed my mind too, especially as you mention froth.

juneison Tue 18-Mar-14 08:16:05

Thanks Granny 23 and Absent.....sounds like I should've thought of that for starters! Will give that a try lunchtime and hope that solves the problem.....unless of course it IS the change in water and stays that way!

Yeah 'twas 'funny' your water becoming good again after waterboard disclaimers..sign of the times no one being responsible for anything! ……;)

Oldgreymare Tue 18-Mar-14 09:05:49

I use a jug filter to filter all water to be boiled for tea or coffee otherwise, in this hard water area, we get a horrible 'skin' on tea, this skin also coats the mug (china, of course!) YUK!

henetha Tue 18-Mar-14 10:48:57

The only time I thought that my cup of tea tasted odd (many years ago)
I turned out to be pregnant!

soop Tue 18-Mar-14 11:13:55

Knew that feeling well, henetha...and the smell was off putting.

rosesarered Tue 18-Mar-14 13:41:41

Living in the Thames Valley [hard water] I use a filter jug at all times, but if I leave it too long and don't change the filter when I should, then the tea tastes nasty and is a bit frothy!

harrigran Tue 18-Mar-14 16:16:12

Our water is not fit to drink. There is a lot of building work going on half a mile down the road and it is obviously disturbing the mains water. We have been using bottled water for three years.

Deedaa Thu 20-Mar-14 20:46:05

I find my tea gets a bit weird and frothy if I haven't quite boiled the kettle (Sometimes you just have to have tea NOW!) If I make a fresh mug after properly boiling the kettle it comes out fine.