Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Do many grandads use the site.

(125 Posts)
geeljay Sat 19-Apr-14 00:03:29

We come as a pair, but it is mainly me, the grandad, who posts. Do the grans mind?

lefthanded Thu 22-May-14 22:01:04

Wow.....you have all been busy. I've just had a three-week enforced absence from this site and the rest of the Internet because Sky screwed up my broadband connection.

But now I'm back. I shall try not to be intimidated by all the "female" talk grin

Galen Wed 21-May-14 22:52:41

smile

Silverfish Wed 21-May-14 22:15:01

I agree, grandaddie, many people are in this situation, there are so many separated parents nowadays that kids need the care and attention of as many close relatives as possible, they don't care if they are legally grandparents or not. It works the other way with mine, us grannies are always asking to see our DGD that her parents have to restrict us, she is getting a bit spoiled.
x
(silverfish can be nice).

grandadR Wed 21-May-14 22:11:30

Hello silverfish, I actually rather admire you for your straightforwardness. I don't think I am in a position to tell anyone what to do, and welcome any questions - I will try to only answer with what I do.
Feetlebaum, I have only just got to be a "real" grandad, but am step father/grandad/great grandad to many. It does in my observation have the advantage that you can grandparent without the relationship issues of being a parent of the parent getting in the way.
GDR.

Silverfish Wed 21-May-14 22:05:21

lol, almost falling off my chair with laughing. What makes you think I m a man. No Ive got two boobies and everything else female (mind you I envy men who seem to have it all with work etc).
The other night I was shouted down by everyone for being unwelcoming to the men on our forums, therefore I decided to be nice tonight.
Cant win !!!

Greenfinch Wed 21-May-14 21:45:06

Are you really a man Silverfish?

Silverfish Wed 21-May-14 21:39:06

Hello, are there any nice friendly granddads there to have a nice chat to.
Ive not had much time lately to chat as Ive been busy. Ive got my nice head on tonight x

feetlebaum Wed 21-May-14 18:15:01

I'm the right age and the right sex - but can't claim to be a grandad. I was only ever a step-father...

glammanana Wed 21-May-14 18:09:38

Welcome to the grandads and join in the posts,we are really very very nice and welcoming.

Nelliemoser Wed 21-May-14 18:00:31

Stick around Grandads! The more of you that are obviously on here the more men may feel less intimidated by it being lots of women. We don't eat men alive.

Clearly woman's health issues do get discussed from time to time. If it is embarrassing steer clear.

The best advice I can give, is do not pontificate on here or tell us women how to do things unless we actually ask for advice. wink

Roderick Wed 21-May-14 17:19:00

I cannot understand why there are repeat posts

grandadR Wed 21-May-14 13:44:24

Thanks. GDD definitely has a mind of her own, and likes other colours too these days. I used to be pinkphobic, but have found some really nice ones, so...

rosequartz Wed 21-May-14 12:14:45

It was always pink, pink, pink but suddenly DD1 aged 5 and a half likes blue! Hurray.

rosequartz Wed 21-May-14 12:13:02

grin ha ha, my first laugh today Elegran!

Elegran Wed 21-May-14 11:07:04

Oh! Have just read your post. should have done that before I replied (blush )

Elegran Wed 21-May-14 11:05:52

Rose why are you blushing? There are plenty of threads that I ignore, people too. At least I try to, sometimes I am tempted out from behind the parapet.

GadaboutGran Wed 21-May-14 10:53:27

GrandR - just remember Mum is boss & has ultimate responsibility but in the time you are in temporary charge, you work within her 'rules' but she has to accept you do what fits in with you, health & safety & your values. If Mum doesn't like your values or what you do then she withdraws from your wonderful help. It is very easy to start feeling over responsible for all aspects of a GC's life if you do a lot of care but you have to pull back. With 2 different lots of GCs & we have to remember 2 different styles of up-bringing, food fads etc. & have had to bite our tongues over 2 different sets of things. Don't worry if you get it wrong, I'm sure we all do at one time & another & that just teaches kids that there is more than one way of doing or thinking about things. Even parents who dislike the pink faze have to be colour blind & not mind too much while it lasts as 5 year olds have minds of their own & need to work out what they like - not what parents, GPs or peer group like.

rosequartz Wed 21-May-14 10:30:37

And read other people's posts before repeating what they said a bit earlier!

Elegran blush

rosequartz Wed 21-May-14 10:29:02

If you are puzzled about anything it is a good idea to start a new conversation and you will get lots of helpful answers (as I have done when wanting to know about something). To keep up with it click on 'I'm on' or 'watching' ( I think, as I am fairly new too).

If you find an old relevant thread you can always resurrect it, but looking for answers in old threads was a bit like looking for a needle in a haystack I found. Of course, someone on your new thread may remember an old thread and link to it anyway.

Hope this makes sense, it may not be right but it is what I have fathomed out so far.

Agus Wed 21-May-14 09:13:19

A very warm welcome Gddr. You are in the same boat as many of us on here who had to 'learn' about grandparenting which can be a minefield sometimes but I can assure you, you will find lots of support and understanding from the majority of Gnetters on this site.

I have a 5 year old grandaughter who is a breath of fresh air in our lives and she also drove us crazy with the 'pink stage' but that phase is now passing.

I think the best thing to,give a child is your time and attention. It's free and children do appreciate it.

Elegran Wed 21-May-14 08:35:12

Don't bother trying to keep up with the many pages of chat, grandadR You will soon find the conversations that interest you, and the people you like to chat to, also the ones you would rather ignore. There are a lot of threads on bringing up children, but some have fallen off the end of the page. Start your own with any points you would like to discuss and you will get answers, some from people in the same boat as yourself, some from the professional and ex-professionals who post on here.

Welcome to Gransnet.

grandadR Tue 20-May-14 23:48:50

Well, having waded through the many pages of chat, I realise I am just not going to be able to keep up and it definitely comes over as a "women's room" (yes, I did read that book). I recently typed "child"into www.TED.com, and only found 9 entries, of which half were only there because their name was "child" or some such. Jamie Oliver was there, and a wonderful talk by sugata mitra on child lead education. It saddened me however how low profile children can be (unless it goes wrong, as in Bulger).
It has been an interesting time, moving an 89yrold in who is not sure if she wants to hang around, and now the highly spirited GGD of 5 yrs is busily marking her (pink bedroom) territory in all sorts of ways. They do create a good balance to life however.
Things I would want to chat about include how to be clear about my own hooks in the relationship with GGD, and how 2people can ever share in child rearing - obviously in this situation, Ggd's mum is fully leader.
Anyway nuff4now,
Gddr

petallus Tue 20-May-14 10:23:21

More likely to be shot down for saying 'shut up you boring old fart'.

annodomini Tue 20-May-14 10:03:18

It's been so tempting at times, Aka!

Ariadne Tue 20-May-14 09:35:02

Aka grin too true!