Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

passing down the family shawl

(14 Posts)
Purpledaffodil Wed 14-May-14 22:42:13

There is even a modern swaddling thing called a Wombie (sp?) which is a bit like a Babybgro without arms and legs. Made out of soft knitted cotton and very stretchy. Stopped my gs from smacking himself in the face constantly and waking himself up. Easier to pop a baby into than swaddling cloths and come in different weights. My impression is that swaddling is very in at the moment. But nothing lasts for long does it? smile

mcem Wed 14-May-14 18:53:01

My gran and mum knitted for all the family babies. I did for my own 3 and my daughter has for hers. She had 2 difficult pregnancies, spending a lot of time in hospital each time, but found knitting very therapeutic. We've produced several shawls and up until the birth of DGD 3 (who'll be 4 in July) no midwife or H V discouraged swaddling - taking care over temperatures obviously. Grumpy and restless babies always settled well and when they were big enough to wriggle arms out so they could flail about, we stopped!

Purpledaffodil Wed 14-May-14 18:38:55

I felt guilty when I did not knit for my coming grandchild as my mother and I did for my children. Then a practical friend who had been a grandmother for a few years pointed out that the charity shops are full of lovely but unworn baby hand knits, so I felt better.
I think we have to accept that life is different now. I really wanted the 3 generation family crib for my children but a cousin got there first so I had to create my own. My carefully treasured white cotton draped crib and handmade christening dress have both been rejected very politely. In the end, it is not worth being upset or taking offence. Life is too short! Far better enjoy the new relationships with your grandchildren than angst about shawls and cribs I feel.smile

janeainsworth Wed 14-May-14 18:35:25

Good for you RedheadedMommy grin

RedheadedMommy Wed 14-May-14 18:13:20

My nan (82) has Knitted lots of Cardigans, Shawls and Pram blankets for both of her Great Grand daughters.(4 and 9 months) I love them and use them daily, i think they are really special as they was made for my babies from someone i love very much.
She allways comments when they have knitted things on!

Oh.
Im 25 and i know how to handwash wink

janeainsworth Wed 14-May-14 18:01:01

I knitted a blanket for my DGCs in a lacy pattern, and I'm glad that they have been used. The yarn's machine washable so that helps.
GranLinda i think your solution is wise. Perhaps when they see your DGC looking so cosy in it they will decide they wantr it after all.
Jess Yes. We had 'discussions' with DSiL about whether swaddling is safe, after I had bought DGD some lovely muslin blankets for her to be swaddled in. His friend had told him it was a hazardous practicehmm

JessM Wed 14-May-14 17:36:09

"Handwashing is an unknown art to the under 40s." All knitters get this motto framed.
Also - they have it dinned into their heads not to over-wrap and over-heat their newborns. So shawls might be seen as dangerous
I still remember the day I popped to see my friends with their 1 week old. She was a skinny little thing (15 years later she is already 5ft 10 and still growing). Dressed in a vest and a nappy on a cool evening, she was blue from the knees to toes, and from elbows to toes. hmm

Humbertbear Wed 14-May-14 17:05:14

I knitted all my grandchildren a blanket/ shawl. They weren't used on a daily basis but did get an airing and they have all been put away as heirlooms. My 40+ daughter still has her shawl too

nightowl Wed 14-May-14 15:08:41

My mum knitted a beautiful shawl for my children. I gave it to my daughter when my grandson was born, and she accepted although I think she didn't really know what to do with it. It ended up being used, folded, as a pram and crib blanket. That was fine by me, it was lovely to see it in use again and remember my mum and my daughter's baby days.

Gagagran Wed 14-May-14 14:33:11

Culag I also have the family heirloom Christening Gown which my Dad wore in 1908 and all five of his children wore (how did I ever fit into it?) but none of his grandchildren have worn it. Indeed not all of them have been christened. What to do with it? I feel as if it should go to a museum - it has some very old antique lace on it - but would they want it?

gillybob Wed 14-May-14 14:06:45

Oh I still have my "poorly blanket" from when I was little. It was crocheted by my grandma in multi coloured squares. Still as good as new and over 50 years old !

Culag Wed 14-May-14 13:56:55

I have two very old, hand made christening gowns which have been in my family for years. I did think of offering them to my daughter in law, but they are not having my granddaughter christened (no surprise there), nor would they look after them if they had them. So they are staying with me.

janerowena Wed 14-May-14 13:53:55

No, my own daughter was the same. They are too old-fashioned and no longer needed. I have stored mine in an old suitcase in the loft, with a letter saying 'I have kept these as they were your old shawls from when you were babies', as I made them myself and took weeks to do it. They can decide what to do with them when I have gone. Let's face it - we can remember them in use, they cannot. What they have kept is their old 'sicky blankets', colourful blankets I crocheted for them to lie in on the sofa when they were ill.

GranLinda Wed 14-May-14 13:43:52

My Gran who has passed away knitted me a shawl for my first born in 1981 and I used this only for special occasions and again when my son was born in 1983. I have kept this safe and it looks wonderful.
On hearing my daughter in law was pregnant I asked her if she would like it.
Now I am not so sure if she actually does want it. When I showed it to her she said she didn't actually know what to do with it! Imagine having to explain you wrap the baby in it! My son is now asking have I washed it as they don't want anything dirty blah!!!!!! As if I would give my grandchild something not up too scratch. As I type this I have answered my own dilemma. Keeping this at my house for cuddles with Gran.