Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

running commentary!

(10 Posts)
ninathenana Sun 08-Jun-14 22:41:31

ruby nanna is very good at 'oh, that's lovely sweetheart ' whilst secretly thinking 'for heavens sake shut up for 5mins' grin

Deedaa Sun 08-Jun-14 20:33:18

GS1 launched into a running commentary of his life almost as soon as he started talking! Our favourite was when he desperately wanted Rocky the crane from Thomas the Tank Engine. As Rocky was very expensive DD was saving him for Christmas so for weeks all we heard was "Mummy, Rocky, Nooo!!" with tragic gestures of deprivation. Once his vocabulary was up to speed he really got going! Now he's 7 he is worse than ever and GS2 although not talking yet, is busy filling in with his own comments.

rubysong Sun 08-Jun-14 18:54:55

DS1 -talked the hind legs off donkeys- had a good vocabulary and was a keen talker. I remember being pregnant with DS2 and praying to have a less chatty child, which I did have. The chatty one is still the same and as an adult will phone me with blow by blow of any film he has seen or book he has read. The constant chat was somewhat exhausting when he was little but hopefully I didn't show it as he was interested in everything and loved to communicate.

Gagagran Sun 08-Jun-14 16:39:27

Another DGS - mine aged almost 9 - does it too. He likes playing dominoes with DH and gives a running commentary throughout! I would have suggested it might be a boy thing but for kitty's post at 14.44!

Nelliemoser Sun 08-Jun-14 16:06:04

My DGS does this. It's all wonderfully conversational in the intonation but not all of it is very comprehensible.

ninathenana Sun 08-Jun-14 15:07:11

Ah ok, he's not odd then grin

kittylester Sun 08-Jun-14 14:44:37

Yep, DGD2 most of all but then her mum did too!!

whenim64 Sun 08-Jun-14 14:16:45

Yes....in stereo! My five year old grandsons talk incessantly and if my attentions drifts, it's 'look nana - this crocodile is going to get the T Rex and Batman is rescuing......(drifts off).......'NANA-A-A, look, this.......' and on and on..............

Then I go home and my basset hound grumbles and drones on and on, too! She's doing it now! grin

Mishap Sun 08-Jun-14 14:07:05

Oh yes! - definitely. I have just returned two wee boys after looking after them yesterday and overnight and I have been bombarded with commentaries. I do like their chatter though - but agree that it can get a bit tiring!

ninathenana Sun 08-Jun-14 14:00:29

I can't remember either of mine doing it. DD was a real chatter box but she didn't give a constant running commentary on her games.
We do play with the DGC when they're here but if oldest (5) is playing by himself he will tell you all that's happening. "The helicopter is going to rescue the man 'cause he's trapped. He's taking off now, he's flying over here (helicopter held aloft and running) now he's going to land, now he's going to........"
Do your DGC do this ?
I find it very wearing [sigh]