Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Black carpet beetle - help!

(15 Posts)
Mishap Sun 27-Jul-14 10:04:53

Anyone know how to get rid of these? - all advice gratefully received.

dogsdinner Sun 27-Jul-14 10:10:26

We had these years ago in an old cottage. We took the offending carpet up and replaced with cushion flooring. These days try a pest control company if you don't want to replace carpet.

Mishap Sun 27-Jul-14 10:20:36

Thank you - it is in our bedroom carpet, so we do not really want to go down the route of cushion floor.

We have found a smoke bomb thing that you can fumigate the room with, but I am worried about the curtains, mattresses, clothes etc. Presumably we have to remove all of these. Anyone ever done this in a bedroom?

jollyg Sun 27-Jul-14 11:28:44

My suggested remedy is KYBOSH, made by Bayer, on the tin it recommends carpet beetles, and well as the bane we have here which is carpet moths.

Highly rated by me, again spray the room when you are not in situ and follow the instructions.

In the past we all used such toxic things on garden pests, house pests, until EU got into 'elfand safety'

granjura Sun 27-Jul-14 13:01:32

We had that problem in a 100% wool carpet at our old house- we tried to deal with it ourselves- and had to replace the (very large) carpet in the end, and insurance didn't cover us- so my advice is to call in the experts ASAP.

numberplease Sun 27-Jul-14 13:23:03

Mishap, it was most probably a different sort, but we recently used smoke bomb thingies to get rid of fleas, and they worked. We didn`t have to move anything out of the rooms, apart from ourselves and any foodstuffs.

harrigran Sun 27-Jul-14 15:47:01

As well as treating the problem you need to remedy the source of the infestation otherwise it will happen again. If it is the bedroom it could be that you have a bird nest in the roof space.

Mishap Sun 27-Jul-14 17:08:27

They have now appeared in the living room carpet downstairs. We have sent off for various smoke bombs and sprays which should arrive on Tuesday. We are going to have to do the whole house; and spray round the wainscoting everywhere. This involves moving all the furniture out - just the weather for it! Sigh.

I'll look up some companies that might be able to help too.

Mishap Mon 04-Aug-14 20:17:29

Council came and sprayed with Ficam W last Wednesday. We had to stay outside for 4 hours whilst it dried - luckily it was a very hot day so we could be outside, and it all dried very quickly. We were told that once it was dry all was safe for us, and the its effectiveness on the beetles would be for 3 weeks, which should be sufficient to break the life cycle. Its chemical activity would then die off.

But....he said he was not allowed to spray carpets in bathrooms, where people might go with bare wet feet. That's fine - he just missed that out. However, I am now worrying about the GC, who are not very dry most of the time: spilled drinks, little "accidents" etc. And their hands always seem to be wet as they stick them in their mouths; and it is hard to keep only their shod feet on the carpet! I have arranged to look after my DGD elsewhere tomorrow just to be on the safe side.

Am I being over-cautious? - or neurotic even? Presumably they spray houses where children actually live rather than visit. And the chap went off saying that once it was dry it was safe.

etheltbags1 Mon 04-Aug-14 21:46:58

Ive got silverfish they're nasty too

rosequartz Mon 04-Aug-14 22:47:50

She's 'nice' when you get to know her, how could you say that grin

dustyangel Tue 05-Aug-14 09:47:46

grin

etheltbags1 Wed 06-Aug-14 11:35:14

I have read silverfishes posts and I like her very much so please don't call her to me.

Elegran Wed 06-Aug-14 12:31:20

Has anyone called her to you ethelbags1/silverfish ? I don't see that.

PS - Why did you bother changing your name when you then announced that it was changed? Most people change to become anonymous Posts from ethel will always be from siverfish now for me.

etheltbags1 Thu 07-Aug-14 09:52:40

Just a bit of fun plus Im always honest (tongue in cheek too)