Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Sounds daft, but when a smell gets up your nose!

(10 Posts)
Anne58 Mon 28-Jul-14 19:33:14

Please bear with me, a smell invaded my nasal cavity and I can't get rid of it, I can still smell it everywhere I go, and the cause of the smell definitely ISN'T everywhere I go!

I've tried having a quick sniff of various things, perfume, garlic paste, gone for a brief walk around the block but I'm still convinced I can smell it!

Now, it can't be phantosmia, because it was a real smell but should have gone by now. I would try eating an orange, but I haven't got any!

merlotgran Mon 28-Jul-14 19:40:41

Slap some Vick on your chest grin

annodomini Mon 28-Jul-14 19:41:51

I always know when I have a cold coming on because I can smell tobacco smoke where there is none. Have you asked if any of your neighbours can smell it, phoenix?

Anne58 Mon 28-Jul-14 19:43:56

Damn good thinking merlot! Don't know why I didn't think of it myself!

Years ago Mr P had the contract for sorting out the drains for a local rendering plant. They used to make the apprentices smear Vick under their noses to stop the truly awful stench making them retch.

I think perhaps I may wait until I have finished my glass of wine though!

suebailey1 Tue 29-Jul-14 10:28:11

If it goes on and no-one else can smell it might be worth getting a doctor to have a look up your hooter etc- might be a problem/infection there that's easily fixed.

henetha Tue 29-Jul-14 10:36:13

Dab some perfume on the end of your nose...
Yesterday I walked past an Indian restaurant in town and the smell of curry was so strong and so lovely that I went and bought some ingredients and made curry for dinner last night.
Smells can be very evocative, or nostalgic, or sometimes, as in your case, very irritating. Has it gone by now?

Anne58 Tue 29-Jul-14 10:58:59

Gone for now, but might happen again later when I have to repeat the exercise confused

Ana Tue 29-Jul-14 11:10:36

Be prepared! Try the Vick trick before the smell can get up your nose...

merlotgran Tue 29-Jul-14 11:42:00

Don't pathologists offer Vick to rookie policemen at their first post mortem?

Or have I been reading too many crime novels?

Tegan Tue 29-Jul-14 11:45:01

Smell is the main memory trigger of all the senses so iit's no wonder smells stay with us. I'd imagine lingering smells are something to do with the small hairs in the nose [??] combined with something it triggers in our brain [probably due to learning how to differentiate poisonous from non poisonous foodstufs going back to hunter gatherer days and also needing to know when a foodstuff [ie the mammoth we've recently killed] has gone off. But why don't lovely smells linger in the same way [??].