Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Capital Punishment Questionnaire

(28 Posts)
amy092 Thu 21-Aug-14 18:01:56

I am a student currently at college completing my own independent project on the effectiveness of capital punishment comparing the American and English legal system.

Those in the age group of 65 and over would be the only ones to have seen the effectiveness of capital punishment and its abolishment and I would appreciate it if you could spare five minutes to complete my questionnaire.

I only need three more questionnaires to be filled out as my granddad has already done me a huge favour getting some completed on my behalf, and now I am looking to 'share' other peoples grandparents if you like to help me along with the final few. smile
If you're interested please comment and I will send you the link to the survey.

Thank you very much!smile

absent Thu 21-Aug-14 20:05:44

Has this woman paid for her unscientific study? If not, why not?

amy092 Thu 21-Aug-14 18:46:41

boheminan thank you but I am full up now unfortunately! If I'd have found this earlier and known how much of a positive response I'd get I'd have come much soonersmile
I know I have said this in my comment above, but it seemed more personal and polite to thank you directlysmile

amy092 Thu 21-Aug-14 18:45:12

Thank you for the interest from everybody, I now have the exact number of responses I need and for the most part I am very grateful for the quick replies I had from people willing to help.

I'll be deleting the conversation in 10/15 minutes as I don't want to take the space of much more interesting conversations!smile

Again thank you for all the help!

boheminan Thu 21-Aug-14 18:44:06

I'm in! Send me the questionnaire amy092

amy092 Thu 21-Aug-14 18:41:12

Thank you jinglbellsfrocks

That again is something I'm going to discuss, I didn't want to go on and on about what I was covering and bore peoplesmile But my essay has to be a minimum of 6,000 words so I am looking into a lot of different aspects, including obviously the things that can be put into place to avoid the death penalty but still act as a deterrent, and further into whether or not in the past the different methods have or haven't been effectivesmile

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 21-Aug-14 18:35:54

It sounds a good project. Good luck with it. smile

petallus Thu 21-Aug-14 18:35:09

Hi there amy092 you can send me the questionnaire.

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 21-Aug-14 18:34:56

Many people would like to see life sentences mean life, but still would not want to see the death penalty brought back.

amy092 Thu 21-Aug-14 18:34:37

Correct, but I'm incorporating quite a few different aspects of the law into my project, particularly the way in which people are punished and the prison they may be in etc.

amy092 Thu 21-Aug-14 18:32:56

I was just explaining to another lady that I had forgotten to remove that, I had two questionnaires, one for those 16-49 so I could gather the opinion of those who had never seen capital punishment and only know the way the law is todaysmile

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 21-Aug-14 18:32:35

The length of a "life" sentence is a completely different subject to whether or not we believe in capital punishment.

amy092 Thu 21-Aug-14 18:31:55

Thank you, my friend would not be best impressed at all if she'd have spotted that just as you have! She tends to worry she might offend me when she corrects me but I always take everything on board so thankssmile

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 21-Aug-14 18:31:03

Done it anyway.

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 21-Aug-14 18:30:37

What does the 16-49 mean as a choice in some of the questions?

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 21-Aug-14 18:29:09

Oppose (not 'a') smile

amy092 Thu 21-Aug-14 18:22:37

Yes, if you had taken the time to ask as appose to feeling offended, I could have made it clear that in comparing the American and English legal system I intend to investigate their effectiveness in deterring crime, as I personally feel the sentencing and law in this country is not as effective as that in America given that in America killers get life, whereas in this country they can get a minimum of 14 years and that be classed as 'life' for a crime just as horrific.

janeainsworth Thu 21-Aug-14 18:18:31

Amy You said in your first post that you were investigating the effectiveness of capital punishment and comparing the British and american legal system.
You didn't say anything about gathering opinion, which is an entirely different thing.

amy092 Thu 21-Aug-14 18:17:04

I don't feel as though labelling me as cruel and insensitive is appropriate at all,

I do not have a full set of grandparents and using this site to help me get opinions from people that I would have been able to collect myself If I had, I didn't expect to have somebody speak to me like that as though I was being rude or offensive when I have done nothing of the sort.

I came here to look for those kind enough to offer their opinions as it was a part of history that I didn't see, luckily most have been more than happy to help but I feel the negativity was uneccessary and any issues aimed at what is in the news should be kept in a conversation specifically about that, I think you have things you'd like to say on the matter and are trying to express them anywhere, I don't feel this topic is where it should take place.

Charleygirl Thu 21-Aug-14 18:13:09

and me also

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 21-Aug-14 18:12:18

Really can't see how it has got anything to do with anything in the news.

MiceElf Thu 21-Aug-14 18:10:44

You can pm me too.

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 21-Aug-14 18:10:39

I'll do the questionnaire. Why not? hmm

amy092 Thu 21-Aug-14 18:09:43

I think you've misunderstood my intentions,

I want to gather public opinion of those who saw capital punishment in place and its abolishment and how they feel about it, whether they think it is right in certain circumstances or whether they feel it is entirely wrong.

It's those opinions I am looking to gather, I'm sure if you had the opportunity to see the questionnaire you would understand the information I intend to gather, but you feeling uncomfortable about answering it is entirely fine and I respect that.

janeainsworth Thu 21-Aug-14 18:07:17

And on the day when an American journalist has been beheaded by a British jihadist, I think your post is particularly cruel and insensitive.

janeainsworth Thu 21-Aug-14 18:05:42

Effectiveness of capital punishment?
At killing people, do you mean?
Don't bother sending me the link, Amy.
I have no idea if capital punishment is 'effective' or not.
It is just wrong.