Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Harrogate

(7 Posts)
Newquay Sun 19-Oct-14 10:10:58

We are about to spend time with our one year old-not yet walking-grandchild in Harrogate which we don't know. Where is suitable to take our littlie-indoors and outdoors?

hildajenniJ Sun 19-Oct-14 10:15:48

I love Harrogate. Outdoors, a good place is the Valley Gardens. (I think that is what it's called). It is lovely to walk around, the Autumn colours should be lovely, provided the wind hasn't blown off all the leaves. I have never taken children there so I don't know of any indoor places that would be fun for a one year old.

Teetime Sun 19-Oct-14 10:17:19

ooo not too sure but there is Ripley Castle and grounds nearby and Harlow Carr the RHS garden has a lovely Bettys tearoom so she can have a nice squishy cake after some fresh air.

Newquay Sun 19-Oct-14 13:41:38

Thanks for replies. Yes we have found Valley Gardens where she loves the swings-dependent on weather of course. Where we live there are a couple of play barns, one attached to a pub, which have areas specially for crawling babies. Does anyone know of anything similar in H'gate then?

Gracesgran Sun 19-Oct-14 18:58:32

She's a bit little to enjoy some of the wonderful countryside, etc. One of my favourites is a train trip to York as the views are lovely but really for older children. How much longer are you in Harrogate? If it's for a while I will try and find out the play barn bit for you.

Gracesgran Sun 19-Oct-14 19:03:55

Just found this without resorting to a Facebook request to my sons friends with children smile

Wacky Warehouse - Squinting Cat, Harrogate
Wacky Warehouse - Squinting Cat Indoor play area with loads of slides and features and dedicated toddler zone, attached to a family restaurant. Plus outdoor play area.

The Squinting Cat was a very nice pub/restaurant but I haven't been for a while. If you are in the centre of Harrogate you will need a car to get there.

Newquay Sun 19-Oct-14 22:12:37

Thank you-Squinting Cat looks fine-will bear that in mind. Someone else also told me about Kidzplay so that's two places to try. We are only here for a couple of days this week but will be here again soon-we hopesmile. As she has just learned to stand who knows she may soon get the idea of walking too although I don't hold my breath-her Mum was 18 months old before she got going.