Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

NHS Discount cards

(11 Posts)
kittylester Wed 12-Nov-14 07:24:57

We keep getting emails inviting us to have one of these. They look as though they are a good idea but I wondered if anyone else has one or anything like it?

sherish Wed 12-Nov-14 08:00:03

I haven't heard of these. What would they be used for?

kittylester Wed 12-Nov-14 08:24:53

Apparently, you load them with money and then use them at various stores eg Sainsburys, JL, Boots B&Q. Then 'cash back' is paid onto the card. So, the card company have your money but then you get around 5% of what you spend!

annsixty Wed 12-Nov-14 08:40:57

Where does the NHS come in? Am I missing something? does it get a cut of the spending? Or are you offered one because your DH is a medical man? Very intriguing.

kittylester Wed 12-Nov-14 09:19:21

Because Dh works for the NHS ann

Teetime Wed 12-Nov-14 09:24:02

I was offered them when I was working but no-one seemed to take them up- juts another card for people to gather data from. My purse is full of rubbish now.

annsixty Wed 12-Nov-14 10:32:55

Gosh kitty I wasn't being nosy as I know from your posts that your DH is a Dentist.

kittylester Wed 12-Nov-14 18:56:26

Didn't think you were Ann. Didn't mean to he short but we were going out! Sorry! Still can't work out whether to go for it or not!

susieb755 Wed 12-Nov-14 23:20:24

We have a similar thing in UNISON and the Police - we can buy a reloadable sainsbury gift card ar 4% off- i.e £100 for £96 - so it does save on petrol and shopping

NfkDumpling Thu 13-Nov-14 07:20:48

So it's a sort of reverse loyalty card - you give them money up front, then spend it in store instead of them giving you money off vouchers for shopping there? Does it tie you to one store?

(Just curious. We shop all over the place and don't work, so we're not eligible anyway)

kittylester Thu 13-Nov-14 07:35:32

It doesn't tie you to one store Nfk, although not all stores take them and different stores give different cash back rates! With interest rates so low, 3% cash back isn't bad and some stores give 5%.