Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Glasses for the computer

(11 Posts)
tanith Sun 16-Nov-14 09:07:53

Does anyone else find they need to use an 'older' pair of glasses for using the computer?
I always have my last older pair to use for the computer when I get new glasses, so yesterday I'm happily using my laptop when my the frame of my glasses snapped in half and are destined for the bin so now I am scrabbling around drawers and old glasses cases looking for the another 'old' pair I can use...
So I'm curious as to whether I should actually be asking my optician about this and having glasses especially made for computer use?

Marmight Sun 16-Nov-14 09:29:17

Oh yes! I have just binned the last 'old' ones which were kept together by cellotape - so uncomfortable. Have now moved on to the next old pair....... wink

J52 Sun 16-Nov-14 09:55:06

When I had vari focals they were useless for working on the computer, so I bought separate reding computer glasses. Now, no need for vari focal, just a pair for driving as well. X

hildajenniJ Sun 16-Nov-14 10:48:22

I have varifocals. I never have any problems with the computer. These new ones took a bit of time to get used to, but I persevered as I needed the extra magnification. I will have to go back to Specsavers with them however as I don't think they have given me the anti glare coating. When I'm out at night I cannot read illuminated signs as they are blurred and out of focus. The same signs in daylight are fine.

Lona Sun 16-Nov-14 11:02:50

Yes, I've always had to use old specs for my puter, until my latest eye test in the summer. I got new varifocals and sent off for cheap reading and driving specs.
The new readers are fine now for my computer use hmm

shysal Sun 16-Nov-14 11:34:13

My current reading glasses are usually hanging around my neck, so they are used for the laptop. I do, however, have various old pairs scattered around the house and in pockets and bags in case I forget to put them on. The ones I have in the bathroom for my daily read in the tub are from about 3 or 4 prescriptions ago, but do the job.

sherish Sun 16-Nov-14 11:45:39

I use older glasses too. According to my optician computer use needs 'middle distance' glasses and nearer for normal reading distance.

My computer glasses are quite old but perfect for laptop use.

tanith Sun 16-Nov-14 12:01:06

I'm glad I'm not the only one using 'old' glasses, thanks for the input ladies I found 2prs that I can use so I'm a happy bunny.. I assume its because the computer/laptop is further away from you when reading than a book or paper might be!

harrigran Sun 16-Nov-14 13:01:16

I use an old pair of glasses too, the most recent prescription is not quite right for working on the laptop. I have tried varifocals and they didn't work for me at all, took them back and changed them.

rojon Mon 17-Nov-14 22:06:49

I asked for a prescription for my laptop and got them had never thought of using my varifocals.

Lynker Tue 18-Nov-14 21:17:39

I wear my 'old' glasses for swimming!