Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Christmas present for 3 year old girl please

(20 Posts)
GrandmaH Fri 21-Nov-14 11:33:37

Not normally a problem as she is 2nd girl grandchild & other one is not in same family group but this year!!! She is very bright & has an older brother so tends to play with things of his too but new baby this year is just starting to move around floor & everything goes into his mouth. DIL is very worried about 'little bits' on floor. Not mad about dolls. Has all sorts of play houses, kitchens, leap-pads etc. Goes to pre-school so getting stimulation there too.
I have spent hours on toy shop sites. She had a birthday in November too which doesn't help.
At wits end!

Elegran Fri 21-Nov-14 11:47:04

Maybe get away from toys as such and into creative things - does she have an easel for drawing and painting, and a supply of jars of paint, brushes, paper etc? A sandpit? A big work tray to keep the "little bits" together on the kitchen table?

How about a subscription to a regular children's magazine with stories and games and activities? A ticket to a theme park?

janerowena Fri 21-Nov-14 12:12:41

How about an Aquadoodle, if she doesn't have one? I bought a couple of different ones for my GCs the other year and they still play with them. They are a liquid-filled mat

www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/3495533.htm

There are loads of variations available. Disney, peppa pig.

whenim64 Fri 21-Nov-14 13:03:05

I've got glove and finger puppets for one of my three year old grandaughters and a set of Mr Tumble books. For her twin sister, a John Lewis wooden teaching clock that has numbers which can be put back in round slots, and a Waybaloo doll which talks. They both love Lego Duplo and there's a Peppa Pig Campervan with the family and picnic equipment that they're enjoying at the moment.

Nelliemoser Fri 21-Nov-14 13:51:33

I have to ask why presents have to be particularly aimed at girls or boys.
www.lettoysbetoys.org.uk/

whenim64 Fri 21-Nov-14 14:00:05

Agreed. Our girls love trains and cars - they also like dolls that they've found in the playhouse at nursery so we've bought some, too. Grandsons loved dressing up as fairies and princesses at this age. Give them room to develop and choose what they like.

Lapwing Fri 21-Nov-14 14:32:52

What about an etch-a-sketch - or a Disney Frozen Magic Scribbler. That way she can draw without getting bits all over the place.

suzied Fri 21-Nov-14 17:29:09

You could always do an afternoon out with her to build a bear, then you could get outfits for it for the next birthday, christmas etc.

vampirequeen Fri 21-Nov-14 18:38:49

Whilst I understand your DIL having concerns about the younger child but it seems very unfair that the older child is denied certain toys because of smaller parts. If you could persuade her otherwise Marble Run is a brilliant toy.

www.toysdirect.com/products/gl4105-galt-super-marble-run.html?gclid=CNTUuvOrjMICFfMZtAodGV8A8A

NanKate Fri 21-Nov-14 20:59:38

A small teepee style tent which can be erected both in and outdoors has been loved by my two grandsons. They chase each other in and out of it and they also just like sitting in it playing with other toys.

Humbertbear Sat 22-Nov-14 08:25:33

A dolls house or dressing up clothes or puzzles/ games? Last year the 3 year old commandeered her brothers battery operated dinosaur. We buy the GC books. Something for now and a nice edition of something for when they are older. MY 9 year old GD has Jane Austin, Shakespeare and many modern classics. As she's 3 why not start buying the Oxford Reading Tree? We also buy some activity books so they have something to 'do' while the grown ups talk.

Teetime Sat 22-Nov-14 09:00:02

I buy our GD (who is now 6) a party frock every year and apparently it goes down a storm.

tiggypiro Sat 22-Nov-14 09:04:46

I am not sure if this will help but Tesco have a toy sale on at the moment.
Why doesn't your DiL put a stair gate on the bedroom door to separate baby from small bits ?

annodomini Sat 22-Nov-14 09:56:25

Have you consulted her parents? My DiLs are very good at finding just the right presents for my GC and giving me the links to on-line shops.

POGS Sat 22-Nov-14 10:12:49

GrandmaH

I think the problem is coming up with something original, as you say she already has most toys.

I started to take my DGD to a pantomime at 3 years old and we still go every year. She is 8 now and I asked if she still wants to go 'with nan' and she surprised me by saying she loves to go and never wants to stop. She said 'it's nanny time' and loves it when I take her to the theatre for shows.

It's not a lot but it is something that is a treat for her only as no doubt her brother might not want to go, depending on his age and the toddler is too young. It's not cheap, dependant on the production, I think I have paid about £40 for us to go to Leicester.

Dressing up clothes were a favourite of my DGD too. She had a dressing up box and I bought good clean funny things from charity shops like hats, gloves, boas and jewellery bits, her friends loved 'messing around' too. Kids don't know where they are sourced from it's what fun and imagination they can have with a toy/gift that counts.

Perhaps I am wide off the mark but good luck in your endeavours. Soon be over grin

GrandmaH Sat 22-Nov-14 13:39:13

Thank you all. I've come to the conclusion that she is a very lucky little girl as most of these are in the house already! The only reason I stipulated girl's toys is because she now has 2 brothers so there are a lot of boy's things around- which she does play with.
I totally agree about the 'bits'. I used to let my older son play in his bedroom with his lego etc as the little one would not only pull it apart but also chew it but this family live in a very open plan way.

She shows no sign at all of wanting to 'Dress up' & the princess dress she got for her birthday has not been touched.
However the little madam ( & I say that affectionately as she is a very sweet child) has just advised Mum that she has seen a Barbie with a car & would Santa have one of those?? I thought we had a few more years before Barbie would be the 'in' thing . I think the very pink car is the main attraction to be honest.
It is even worse trying to find something for the 6 month old baby as they already have so much- very lucky children. I give them a lot of my time which I think is more valuable than toys to be honest. Being a crafter we make a lot of things together which we all enjoy.
I'm not spending too much money on them but will donate to a children's charity for those who don't have all this!

grannyactivist Sat 22-Nov-14 18:18:27

Piano playmat? This is what I bought mine for Christmas this year.
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GIGANTIC-PIANO-KEYBOARD-PLAYMAT-GAMES-PARTY-DANCE-FUN-MAT-MUST-HAVE-XMAS-TOY-/380770405127

goldengirl Sun 23-Nov-14 10:30:40

Mulberry Bush www.mulberrybush.co.uk and Bright Minds www.brightminds.co.uk have lots of ideas which may be helpful. These catalogues are my staple for GC at Christmas

littleflo Sun 23-Nov-14 19:06:23

Does she like "frozen" . My little granddaughter wants the snow globe.

GrandmaH Wed 26-Nov-14 18:14:39

Piano playmat!!! Wonderful idea & total revenge for son who drove us mad with his toy trumpet. I find a lot of toys are good for revenge!!grin