Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Games to play with a 3 year old on Christmas Day ?

(11 Posts)
Helen1947 Fri 21-Nov-14 17:31:25

My memories of Christmas Day as a child are when grandparents, uncles, aunts and cousins all came down to the youngest child's level to play games making for fantastic memories for me as the youngest family member for many years. Can anyone suggest suitable games for adults to play to make a 3 and a half year old's day memorable ?

Mishap Fri 21-Nov-14 17:47:02

Squeak Piggy Squeak - mine always loved. One DD called it "Peak Squiggy Peak"!

FlicketyB Fri 21-Nov-14 17:47:50

Sardines. One person hides, the others look for them and each has to squeeze into the space the original hider is in once the hider is found. I think this is usually done with the lights off, but not with a three year old. paper games where each has a long strip of paper, everyone draws a head, folds it down so it cannot be seen and passes on to the next person who draws the arms and the folding down and passing on continues until the person is complete. Unfold and there are lots of silly people. A 3 year old will probably need help.

We have lots of simple board games we play, Flounders, Scaredy Cat, a bagatelle game. look at the Early Learning Centre stock of games. Choose games the child will enjoy and up tosix people can play.

There is a start, I am sure you will get many more suggestions.

ninathenana Fri 21-Nov-14 18:00:20

Jenga or pick up sticks.

Hide the ball (thimble too small) has always been DGS favourite.

Grannyknot Fri 21-Nov-14 18:01:04

Memory game - where you have a deck of picture cards turned upside down and you turn up 2 at a time until you find matching ones, and you have to remember where the first one was. You get simple ones with big pictures for little children. My children loved that game from very small. Come to think of it - good for granny too grin

rubysong Fri 21-Nov-14 19:12:23

Another memory game. Put a dozen or so items on a tray and let the child look for a few minutes, then cover with a tea towel and secretly remove one item, uncover them and ask the child to remember what is missing. I think this called Kim's game.

Nonu Fri 21-Nov-14 19:51:37

Dare I say , but hardly think One Day for a 3 year old is going to have a lasting impression !
Just saying, will they really truly remember, don"t think so .!
smile

harrigran Fri 21-Nov-14 23:15:46

I don't think organised games are necessary on Christmas day, Father Christmas will have just been and the child will want to play with their new toys.

suzied Sat 22-Nov-14 14:16:01

Yes you can always play with the new toys together. I find the little ones enjoy playing with the grown ups and it doesn't always have to go to the lowest common denominator, if you are playing a game of charades, for example, the little ones can be partnered with an adult and help the acting out, or hand out the cards, or spin a wheel or whatever game it is.

Galen Sat 22-Nov-14 14:34:52

Kim's game is to put a load of items out then try to remember what they all were. Used to play it in guides. Excellent for memory training.
Named after Rudyard Kiplings Kim!

Helen1947 Sat 22-Nov-14 14:40:40

Thank you all so much, grannys, for your very helpful ideas. I shall definitely use some of these. It will be the makings of traditional Christmas Days as you are never too young to play!